1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gun store the other day looking at 1911's and this P14-45 Limited caught my eye. I like the look and feel of it.

But I was wondering what the pro's/con's are?

Everyone has been telling me to get a Kimber or Springfield. But now I think I want this one.

Unless I find it somewhere else cheaper, I'll be paying $839.99+ for it. Is this worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions. But I don't like to pay a lot of money for anything unless I know what I'm getting is good and worth the cost. And I figure you of all people would know.

It is nice looking though. So many choices...

Thank you, ahead of time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
howdy,
i have two para's. the p12 in blue and the p1640 in stainless. the p16 looks just like your pic except its 40s&w. i like them both sooo much. i put night sights on both, put pearce slimline grips on the p12 and the new hogue fingergroove grips on the p16. they are both excellent shooters and i havent encountered any problems yet. got some info and mag parts from the factory and was well pleased with their service. i dont think you can go wrong especially if you spring for a couple high cap mags. 14+1 in 45acp, awesome!>bob

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Welcome CG!

I have two P13-45 Ltd's. (one black, other stainless). They are both nearing 9000 rds, each. No major problems with either.

Minor problems:

-Front sights have a habit of coming loose. Nothing Locktite won't cure.

-Black carbon finish is not the greatest quality.

-Stainless had some slight tool markings on the slide flats.

That's it! Cosmetics could be a bit improved, but other than that, I feel that Para's quality is on par with any other factory gun out there.

I think it's a good choice you're making.
Let us know what you decide.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
and don't forget the main 'pro' CAPACITY!!
And a ramped barrel loke the Para has is supposed to support the case better.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

[This message has been edited by UdontnoME (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you people sold me. Now to wait a month since I've already bought a gun recently and to start saving up for this beauty.

Thanks to all that responded.

[This message has been edited by cgwahl (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll have to go con on this one. I have 2 P-14's. One blue, one SS. Both modified slightly (Novak nights, Brown beavertail and thumb safeties). Both required work to get running well enough for self defense, but I made excuses for them, and deburred the firing pin holes on the breach face, polished the extractors leading edge (blue one), ground down the grip safeties (factory and Ed's) so that it would depress when I grabbed it (the edge of the frame in the grip safety recess prevented it from depressing unles you pushed it slightly to the left first. SS only), and then put on front sights that would stay (Blue one. In all fairness though, the front sight on the SS fell off after I had the nights put on).

The kicker was going to Thunder Ranch for the H.I.T. class, and having both of them crater on me. Sear broke off on the blue one, and the sights let go on the SS (not Para's fault there). Was able to build a gun out of the 2 that ran the rest of the course though...well, had to recut the slide stop notch on the blue slide since in peened out and wouldn't hold open after last round, and mated to the SS frame, because the new sear wouldn't work in my Blue one without some significant honing to get a trigger pull lighter than about 9 pounds (estimated). No, the SS's sear wouldn't work either, because the dimensions of the pin holes are off enough the sear hammer engagements are different between the two guns.

Found out when I got back (from a gunsmith on this board) that Para's are known for soft sears. My confidence duly rattled, I now carry a Baer, or a Kimber. When I put enough cash together, a Baer or a Baer.

[This message has been edited by gm45 (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had a P14 since the early 90's. It's stock, and I haven't had any problems with it. The biggest con for you is you are a Kalifornia resident, and CANNOT get any hi cap mags for it.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Ranger Grant:
I've had a P14 since the early 90's. It's stock, and I haven't had any problems with it. The biggest con for you is you are a Kalifornia resident, and CANNOT get any hi cap mags for it.

Don't remind me. Someday I might move out of California...but then again I probably won't. I keep hoping it'll get better but I'm probably just dreaming.

But good to know about the gun. Pretty much everyone I talked to says good things about Para Ord and the P14. A few cons but thats to be expected I guess. Everyone is different in what they like...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would make one suggestion. If you are going to use it for defensive purposes, get a new sear and hammer installed. A gunsmith that frequents this board informed me that the problem I ran into with my sear edge giving up the ghost (this shuts the gun down completely) is not a totally uncommon event with Para factory sears. Get new ones, have a good crisp 4-lb trigger job done on it, and enjoy. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've had very good results using Para guns in competition. The racegun I shoot in open class is used mostly for pin shooting and the loads I'm shooting are making a 210 power factor so they are not light loads. The racegun has digested over 50,000 of these loads without any problems. I do a trigger job on all my guns including the Paras and when I do a trigger job on any factory gun I replace all the trigger group parts. I think you will be pleased with Para guns and find them to be as good as any factory guns produced today. And yes the high cap mags are great.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless you are planning to buy high cap mags, I would go with a Kimber single stack .45.
Personally I would not pay the outrageous prices for the Para-Ordinace high cap mags. If all you will be using is the 10rd mags I think you might as well go with the single stack and use 8rd mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts