1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about running higher-pressure loads in a stainless TRP.

Pressure listings in various loading manuals for .40-S&W are almost 2X compared to .45-ACP, and I know SA chambers the .40-S&W in their 1911 model line...

So, I guess my question is this: Should I avoid a STEADY DIET of +P ammo in my TRP, or should I install a 'stiffer' recoil spring if I'm going to shoot mostly +P loads ?

(or should I avoid +P and just be happy shooting 200-gr. bullets at 850 -to- 900 fps ) ???

Thanks for you input on this -- I'm just now 'breaking in' the TRP so I'm not sure what it really likes yet... and of course, most of my shooting involves 'killing paper targets' not carbon-based life-forms. My experience is that standard pressure loads do work fine on paper, but then again, I've always been one that leaned more toward pushing the speed limit somewhat.
--CC

·
Registered
183 Posts
I emailed this question to Deb at SA, and she said any SA pistol can handle the +p loads if a 18.5# spring is used.
DaveG

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next question...

Anyone know what the standard spring force is on a standard TRP ???

Thanks again, and again, and again... --CC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Capt C,

I can't answer your stock spring question, but I couldn't resist asking you a question.

Is your new TRP shooting a little low at 25 yds?

Thanks,

Zane

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Zane, I saw your earlier post about "low & left"
on YOUR TRP... I didn't post a reply 'cause I suspect I haven't shot my TRP enough to have an opionion based upon actual 'repeatable' experience.

So, my answer (for now) is Yes & No...

Seems the more I shoot MY TRP, the point-of-impact is starting to approach point-of-aim. (Go figure ???)

You need to know this is my first 1911 -- I am an experienced revolver man, and I really like big-bore revolvers. I've also owned and fired a Glock 27 (sub-compact .40-S&W) and had 'good luck' shooting it too (but the 27 is no 'bullseye' gun) is it ?

Back to the TRP -- I've fired less than a total of 100-rounds, all were handloads, with two different bullet weights.

As expected, the lighter loads shot lower than the 'heavier' loads... but even within one load (same bullet weight, same powder charge) the more I shot the gun, the closer it shot to Point-of-Aim.

Also, I shoot 5-different fixed-sight revolvers, and every one of those shoot slightly low, and little to left of Point-of-Aim.... Think maybe it could be the shooter's grip on the gun ?

Naw -- it's the gun. It's just gotta be the gun !

So, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, and I;ll get up early and make a pot of good strong coffee for all the grown-ups... then, while the ladies of the house sit and watch the parades, I'm off to the range with some +P loads to test. (I already got permission to play in the AM, then come home and carve the Turkey in time for the feast).

I'll post my results once I get even slightly more confident that I can hold the gun consistently. --CC

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My stainless TRP has shot to point of aim since I bought it. My TRP Operator shot low left when I first took it out, but thanks to the adjustable sight I was able to bring it dead on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Capt_C and col132:

Thanks a lot for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I like what Capt_C said about "shooters grip". I have noticed that my low-and-left shooting is not consistent and my grip may be to blame for it. This is also my first 1911. I am used to shooting Glocks. I have had a 27, 23, and a 30.
When I try hard to hit the center of a paper target I tend to hit low and left about 3-4" at 25 yards. I think that I am trying to hard not trusting my natural grip. A few days ago out in the mountains at my favorite make-shift range, my friend and I were having some fun shooting at a quarter we suspendend in mid-air with packing tape. We shot at it from about 15 yards. I was very relaxed and not trying to hard. Our drill was to draw and shot one shot and then reholster. After about 3 tries I finally got it dead center. Seems like the TRP was right on. I need to analyze my grip changes when I shoot relaxed for fun, and when I get "real serious" and try to nail the center of a paper target.

Thanks again for the responses. It's great fun to have this forum to share our experiences.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zane

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zane, I think you're on to something... I just took the TRP out for my Thanksgiving run with +P loads in various bullet weights, and from a sand-bag rest, it consistently shoots 2-1/2" low... I adjusted the rear sight to bring horizontal impact to center.

When I tired of shooting from the bags, I stood up next to the bench and relaxed a bit, and my groups were better and closer to Point-of-Aim than they were from the sand-bags on the bench.

I do think I need a slightly lower front sight, but I'm not going to pursue that until I've put close to the 1st-Thousand rounds through the gun.

Happy Thanksgiving all...

--CC { who is right now trying to recover from T-day dinner overload
}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts