1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight out of the Hodgdon Data Manual #26:

10.0 gr. HS6 and 185gr. Jacketed bullet. Hodgdon rates this load at 1162 fps in a 5" bbl.

I match up my brass. Federal "FC 96" headstamps. Wash the brass in a mix of Dawn and vinegar. This removes the powder residue. Then I decap and size. About 24 hrs in walnut media. Cases come out shiny inside and out.

Uniform the primer pocket, deburr. Deburr is a nice touch and once done, it's done.

Federal # 155 MAGNUM Large Pistol primers. HS6 is somewhat bulky. Extra fire in the hole never hurts. I use HS6 for all my handgun loads, and I use magnum primers.

185 gr. Remington JHP. This bullet has a jacket that extends over the nose cavity and provides a copper jacketed surface against the feed ramp.

OAL= 1.233" Taper Crimp to .472"

I use these in a full-size Springfield and a ParaOrd 10-45. Potent stuff. Personally, I find handloads more reliable and consistent than anything the factories turn out. Not impressed with CorBon QC, and the prices are out of control too.

More than a half-century on the odometer and so far no fire-fights. I don't worry too much about a prosecutor trying to nail me for "building killer ammo in the basement and then heading out to do a field test." I have too much suck in the community for anyone in a jury to buy that BS.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
I carry commercial ammo but my FLG builds his own. Once fired WCC brass, tumble cleaned but not otherwise prepped and loaded per usual on a D550 with a Sierra 185 gr JHP. I do not know his current powder charge but it is adjusted by chronograph to as close to 1050 fps as possible. That is faster than the 950 of the Remington in my LW Commander and not so fast as to completely fragment the bullet in water like Cor Bon will.
He follows up by canneluring the brass at the base of the bullet to keep it from setting back against the feed ramp. He used to use a roll tool but now has a modified Lee factory crimp die of my design and his make to do it in one stroke.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For years, Hodgdon listed 8.6 of HS-6 with 185 jackeded bullets as max, with velocity of 917. Newer manuals list 9.5 for a velocity of 996. All these loads are with standard primers.

I would like to see the manual #26, because I have never seen 185 jacketed bullet velocity anything like 1162 within SAAMI specification 17,000 psi pressure, with any components, and would not have believed it.

Is that a +P listed load?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by KLN:
For years, Hodgdon listed 8.6 of HS-6 with 185 jackeded bullets as max, with velocity of 917. Newer manuals list 9.5 for a velocity of 996. All these loads are with standard primers.

I would like to see the manual #26, because I have never seen 185 jacketed bullet velocity anything like 1162 within SAAMI specification 17,000 psi pressure, with any components, and would not have believed it.

Is that a +P listed load?
Hodgdon Data Manual #26, Third printing, Nov. 1, 1994, page 715. It's a +P load. Pressure is listed at 19,900 CUP (Which is NOT the same as psi).

Hodgdon doesn't list these loads in its newer manuals. I use Federal 155 Large Pistol magnum primers for HS6. It's a bulky powder. No evidence of pressure excess whatever. NONE.

1162 fps in a 5" bbl. Hodgdon lists several +P loads at 19,900 CUP. For HS6 . . .

9.7 gr for 200 gr 19,500 CUP 1056 fps
9.4 gr for 225 gr 19,900 CUP 1040 fps
9.3 gr for 230 gr 19,700 CUP 981 fps
8.9 gr for 260 gr 19,400 CUP 880 fps

If you can give me a SAAMI spec max pressure for 45 ACP, I'd love to have it. CUP or psi.

A URL for SAAMI would be nice. The www.saami.org is nearly useless.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Genghis;
Have you chronographed the loads? They seem a bit optimistic. I have the #26 and #27 manuals. The #27 list 9.5 of HS-6 @ 996. 1162 with another .5 gr. of powder seems quite a jump. Also Speer #12 only shows 926 with 9.9 gr. of HS-6. I like Hodgdon powder and probably use more of it than any other brand, but I have often found their data to vary quite a bit from real world results. I might add, substituting a mag primer with data that uses a standard primer is not a good idea.

Dan C. Johnson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts