1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering making a CCO my ccw gun and I have quite a stash
of +P ammo and it is readily available in my area.

Can the CCO's aluminum frame handle it in small doses (i.e. short range sessions to stay sharp)?

TIA

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm interested in that question as well...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No reason to think the CCO would not handle +P as well as any other aluminum framed 1911.

Before I purchased my first DW, I put quite a few +P 45 ACPs through a Light Weight Colt Commander and a Kimber Pro Carry with no negitive impact on the guns.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I've had a couple of alloy frame 1911s and have shot moderate amounts of +P ammo through them without any appreciable wear. Like any other aluminum guns, a lot of +P ammo will probably wear faster but you'll probably shoot all your stash long before you wear out your frame.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I don't use +p, especially in an alloy frame. I just don't see the need for range work. A steady diet of +P is not recommended by any of the manufacturers that I am aware of. It is okay for carry, and of course the occaisional test at the range.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I don't personally see the need to run +p ammo. I guess, the theory of a higher velocity impact is more effective... but what really drew me away from using +p rounds was the fact that I could go to the range and put in all kinds of practice with FMJ, but then when I load up a mag of SD rounds that I intended for carry, it would handle like a different animal. I have been using Federal Hydroshocks for the last couple months, and I really like their predictable recoil.

If I'm missing something, please fill me in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts