1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a Warthog yesterday it really seemed to like the +P i put down range with it i did not find any info in the owners manual saying if +P ammo was ok or not

·
Registered
311 Posts
rob883 said:
got a Warthog yesterday it really seemed to like the +P i put down range with it i did not find any info in the owners manual saying if +P ammo was ok or not
I talked to a pistolsmith at Para and asked the same question. I have a P-12. He stated that in a short barrel large bore you were wasting your money on +P ammo. He stated that with the short barrel a lot of the powder wasn't burned in the barrel, thus wasting the effect of +P. He said that anything that worked well would be ok. He suggested a 185 or 200 grain standard load. But again all guns and people are different. I use 185 grain Golden Saber's in my P-12 and 230 grain GoldenSaber's in my full size 1911. They work well for me.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I am not at all sure what the facination is with +P ammo. A .45acp bullet travelling at 800fps is going to do more than enough damage if it strikes a human. Going a few more fps faster doesn't make the threat die quicker. IF in the end your 2nd shot takes a wee bit longer to make because of barrel flip or you are not as accurate due to increased recoil and noise then I fail to see where the advantage lies. Suspect the +P ammo is harder on your gun as well.

I guess I am in the "shot placement" group of shooters.

Stay Safe

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Your WartHOG or any 3" 45 isn't doing near 800fps more like very low 700's That why they need the lighter rounds to get power back. +P is wasting powder. For SD the new 160grDPX corbon compact round. Non +P and 1050fps out of short barrel .70+ in expansion and the magic 12". Very low recoil for faster follow up shots. The DPX is my round for SD in my P-10. In my full size still 230 .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts