1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sprfld. Armory was choking today on +P reloads, which in times past were OK in it. There were several failures to eject, all on the last round of the magazine, and with different magazines. With the same bullet at a "standard" velocity, and with PMC factory FMJ's, function was 100%.

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Try your OAL measurements, you did say these were reloads right?...You might also consider, checking your recoil spring

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
How was the empty ending up? Since it was the last round in the magazine, did the slide lock open okay but the brass was just laying there in the ejection port or something?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give a few more details, the cases were all out of the chamber, and were in a modified stovepipe with the case mouth wedged against the edge of the slide. The case rim was partially back under the magazine lips about half the time. The mags were my "practice" mags, but included Shooting Star with Wolff springs, which are usually OK. With the load reduced 10% (resulting in 800 or so FPS with a 230 grain bullet) function was fine. The bullet was a 230 Flat Point by NBC.

Also, the problem has now occurred twice, and after the first time I replaced the recoil spring with an 18.5 pound spring, and cleaned the extractor channel.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
So is it fair to assume the slide locked back? That sounds like a really weird problem.

Was the rim of the case under the mag lips such that after you removed the case the follower moved upward?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The slide was not locked back. When the case mouths were jammed against the front of the ejection port, and the case rims were in the mags, it took a fair bit of pulling to clear the jam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts