1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a Para in .40 and there is something that confuses me.

The thing is, why bother buying the limited???

You always hear everyone say that they have changed the trigger, sear, hammer, sights, etc., in order to get better quality parts. Whether they have the Limited or Standard model.

So why bother going with the limited, if you plan on doing all that, why not just buy the P Series?
From what I can tell, the ONLY thing that you would be gaining is an ambi safety & front slide serrations???

My thinking is buy the standard P Series model and take the $200-300 you will save and put it towards the higher quality parts.

This is what my plan is.

What do you guys think.......comments, opinions, advice???????

· Registered
305 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand the marketing concept behind the Limited, either. Except that there are a large number of people out there who just buy a gun and shoot it stock, and maybe the LTDs appeal to them. They figure they're paying close to a grand for a gun, it should have everything they need on it. And it lets Para make a tidy profit on each sale. But that's just my theory.

My LDA came with all sorts of (what I consider) extras, like a ramped & polished barrel, extended safety, flared ejection port, and bevelled mag well. I've done very little to it since getting it. YMMV.

-- PG

· Registered
3,003 Posts
I also bought a 1640 LDA LTD and have not done anything to it other than some polishing of the ramp and throat. I believe the LTD (compared to the standard model) also adds the adjustable rear sight which is worth at least $100 by itself.

I'm not sure who says all the parts need to be replaced... my trigger seems to work fine. Overall, the gun is reliable and amazingly accurate (but I shoot only 100 rounds/week in it). Of course, for a competition gun that I wanted to shoot a lot I would probably get a hand-made gun like an STI, not an off-the-rack gun like a Para or Kimber.

· Registered
819 Posts
Originally posted by Pitbull:
...From what I can tell, the ONLY thing that you would be gaining is an ambi safety & front slide serrations???

My thinking is buy the standard P Series model and take the $200-300 you will save and put it towards the higher quality parts...
I wrote Para recently about the differences between their "new" Performance Plus and Limited series.

With the added "features", the Limited certainly makes less sense now then when I bought mine.

Besides what you wrote, the Limited has an adjustable rear sight, flat checkered mainspring housing, and serrated front strip.

Para calls their P-series hammer, "Combat", and their Ltd's "Competition".

Certainly, if you are going to replace the whole trigger assembly right away, it would make sense for you to get a P series.

FWIW my stock parts are working fine for me after 2000 rounds. But I'm also of the school, "Don't change if it's not broken".

However, I do have a question whether if the slide and frame fitting is better on the Ltd compare to the P-series?

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Pit,
By the time you cut the frame for the beaver tail and the slide dovetailed for the sights, and add the bomar type sights, you will have already spent more than you would for the limited.

· Registered
104 Posts
big money part on the LTd is the sight cuts. then the serrations. i got a LTD model because i can shoot it for quite a while and never have to mess with anything in the gun, put a mag well on it and yoru in business!

then later i can add whatever. its not that easy to put the parts on a standard gun, atleast it was time consuming for me to say the least, and most people would pay a gunsmith. so the limited works out well, especially for beginner shooters that want less than 2 grand in a rig.

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Hi Pitbull,
I always recommend the Ltd series guns to my customers. The reason for this is just as Berger stated by the time one would pay me to do all of the work the Ltd already has they would end up with more expense out of their pocket. That being said if you are going to compete with the Para I highly recommend a trigger job no matter if its a Ltd or the standard P series. When I do a trigger job on a Para (or any factory gun) I replace most or all the trigger group parts with the top quality tool steel parts. There is several things that can be done to the Para that will make this a very competitive gun. If possible keep checking my web site as I will have pictures and information of whats been done to the pistol I shoot in the Limited Division in USPSA and Steel. One can choose to have all or some of the modifications done to their exsisting gun. There will also be more to come in different calibers.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Maybe I will reconsider and go with the limited.

One other question though, I have heard that it is easier to replace the sights on the standard P-16 than it is on the limited.

Is there any truth to this???

Thanks again,

Pitbull

· Registered
104 Posts
what do you want the sights for?

first off the bomar style sights on the Limited are much better sights and really don't need a replacement.

second, if you want to replace the front sight, the Limited models are dovetailed in and a LOT easier to replace than the staked in front sight on the standard models.

so unless you want novak's or heinie's i would go with the limited saves gunsmithing costs, and if you plan to put bo-mar's on the gun, you won't be doing it your self unless you have a machine shop on hand.

· Registered
72 Posts
The P series is the way to go, if you plan to modify at all. The fit on the limited is no better, and you get stuck with a bald slide if you decide to go with a novak type sight. The LDA is cool, but you have to contend with finding parts for a new system. I think that seems to be an iffy proposition. When I get back my P14 from my smith, I'll post a pick to show you what good parts and labor can do for a solid design. Till then, imagine substituting the stock parts with Ed Brown stainless mainspring housing (flat 30lpi), high ride beavertail with memory hump, extended tactical ambidextrous thumb safety, and MMC black teflon adjustable sights. Add a Videcki long trigger and Smith&Alexander ebony grips then black teflon the slide and frame. All said and done I made a used P14 the gun I wanted and not the gun the limited engineers wanted to sell me, and for about $150 less. Just a thought.

· Registered
60 Posts
Pitbull,

I have a couple of paras, including a P-14 LTD. Have to say it's probably the most accurate, out-of-box 1911 I've ever shot and/or owned. No way would I trade it for a Springfield Loaded or one of the higher end Kimbers. Basically, unless you're looking to build a race gun, the only thing that could improve it is a trigger job. I can't complain about the quality of the match bbl the gun comew with - in fact it shoots just as well as the higher priced Bar-Sto match bbls in a couple of my other 1911s. The adjustable Wichita sights are sturdy and compare favorably to other aftermarket sights. Basically, you get everything you really need in a plinker/defense pistol.

Now like any 1911 fan, I do love to tinker. I recently picked up a second used P-14 LTD that had seen better days, cosmetically speaking. Using it as the basis for winter project, I managed to buy a used standard P series slide and fitted it to the LTD frame. I had always liked Heinie Straight Eight fixed sights with tritium inserts - however, they just weren't compatible with the wichita cuts in the LTD slide, thus the swap. Did a little more tinkering, trigger job - gave into vanity and opted for a three hole aluminum trigger (+new sear) to contrast with the black carbon steel, S&A grip panels, a little polishing of the feedramp and finally had it refinished. The end product turned out to be a very nice shooter. Have absolutely nothing bad to say about the para product. IMHO, they're well worth the money. X-man...

· Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I have had two Para's. A 45 LTD and a P16-40.

The LTD is a different gun. Both triggers needed work. I didn't replace any parts but I did use the jig on the hammer and sears. Para's match grade tuned triggers are over exaggerated I think. NOW the trigger is good.

I kept the LTD and sold the P16-40. No comparison I feel. The LTD is a good gun for its intent - a production limited pistol.

The LTD barrel does lock up tighter though not what I would have expected. They could use some technique adjustment along the lines of the lockups of the Kimber Gold Match guns.

All in all...as little as I shoot the LTD...I just can't part with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.