1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a PA P10-45 used, no manual. I've had 1911's before and have fully stripped them. This one has a "button" in the slide like a "Series 80" Colt. I have been able to remove the firing pin, but not the extractor?

What's the trick, or is it just gritted in with fouling?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Downloaded the manual. Not very informative, and no discussion about removing the extractor. The POS second mag that I have is an aftermarket POS.

Extractor removal is not part of "standard" cleaning/maint. but that area gets fouled from time to time and needs to be looked after -- especially on a newly acquired, used gun.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Have you taken the plunger ("button") in the slide out? It will prevent the extractor from being removed if you haven't.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This assumes P10 slide assembly is same as P12:

Lay the slide sights-down.

Depress firing pin (screwdriver or punch)while pushing down on the disconnector 'button'.

This should lock the firing pin in forward position.

Remove the firing pin stop.

Hold your finger behind the firing pin while depressing the disconnector 'button'.
The firing pin and spring will pop out.

Assemble in reverse order.

You're right about cleaning the extractor and the tunnel it resides in. It's the worst area for collection of grime.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO . . . It doesn't help!!!

Firing pin removal is easy.

How do I remove the "plunger" ??? We've tried removing it with probes, pins and pliers (actually forceps). It won't come out.

We've tried removing the extractor with the plunger depressed. It starts to move out and then stops. Maybe it's hanging up on the extractor "hook" . . . We'll keep trying.

I'm assuming either the plunger comes out before the extractor (although it comes to rest on something quite solid with the extractor in place). OR . . . Depress the plunger, remove the extractor and then the plunger. (Extractor hook may be catching on the edge of the bolt face.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's because the extractor holds the plunger in, and the plunger prevents the extractor from being removed. Very carefully take a slot screw driver and wedge the extractor back about 1/8th of an inch. (wedge it back by using the slot in the extractor where the back plate fits in)
Then take out the firing pin plunger and spring. Then fully remove the extractor. Assembly is exactly reverse.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts