1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best damn small handgun I've ever shot! And I've shot them all.

I have the alloy frame, black model. Bought it used, low milage. Looks like new.

200 or more rds all sorts of mixed ammo. Generic 230 gr. FMJ, Speer JHP (weight ???) perform like +P loads, 185 gr. JHP Rem. reloads in +P, 230 gr LRN reloads with very short OAL (1.170") .

Two of the short OAL lead round nose failed to feed.

No cleaning or de-fouling during the run. Shoots very accurately at 25 feet or so out to maybe 75 feet. Plinking at odd targets, sticks, shotgun hulls, cans . . . Right on the mark for point of aim.

Alloy frame is light, durable. I'm using a Galco belt slide holster, and it fits pretty much full length of the barrel. No thumb break strap on this holster, but I've carried a full size 1911 cocked and locked in it without any worries. The PO has the "series 70" style interlock in the slide. It's safe to carry cocked and locked . . . without a thumb break strap.

It's a little fat and prints under clothes, but that can easily be solved with an IWB holster. I cover with a light "photo" style vest with no problem.

Light and comfortable to carry all day long.

After 200 rds, the rear edge of the magazine foot sort of digs into the palm. A more round rear contour would be nice.

Nice trigger! This gun is about the same size as the Glock 26 (9mm). Only the PO is slimmer through the slide and easier to stick in the waistband.

I've been carrying a S&W Mod. 60 snub in .357 or a High Cap Makarov. The snub has the downside of 5 rds. The Mak is 10 rds, but 9mm Makarov is only slightly more energy than .380 APC. The Makarov is a larger, heavier gun!

I like it. I like it a lot. Thumbs up if you're considering this gun for carry.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thanks for your report. I still can't make up my mind between the p10 or the Kimber ultra-carry. I'm used to carrying the colt mustang which is great for comfort and concealability, but I want some more firepower if I can get it in a small enough and and RELIABLE package. Decisions,,decisions!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimber is less capacity and a longer grip sticking out. The fatter grip on the Para is not that much fatter than a std. BUT it's an inch or so shorter.

I also have a Smith Mod. 60 in .357 mag. That's a lot of punch in a small pkg. But it's short on capacity. It's the gun that gets stuck in the pants when I'm headed out for a short errand.

Either the Smith or Para are good choices (for me) for carry. I don't get in a lot of gun fights.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Clark:
I am still carrying a Kel-Tek P11. It is more powerful [but makes smaller holes].
If you do the math you'll find the 45 ACP has more muzzle energy, and the larger, heavier bullet retains that energy over longer distances. I'm sure I can find 40 S&W ammo that is more powerful than some 45 ACP. But we're not talking "some hypothetical" ammo comparison. We're talking which caliber can be loaded to produce the most energy. 45 ACP wins walking away.

------------------

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You go ahead and believe whatever you want. There are a lot more powder choices out there than AA5. I've been shooting all sorts of ammo in my Para 10-45 and no problems. Real stiff 185 gr. loads +P running 1162 fps in a 5" bbl according to Hodgdon. No problems.

If you think pushing the pressure limits on a 9mm past SAAMI specs is a good idea then I can't help you.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts