1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a older model p12 that I want to get a new \ tighter barrel bushing for.
looking at the "when was my para made? " sticky my ser# is lower than the earliest ser # number posted. if I remember right the earliest post ser # starts as rk125xx, mine is rk110xx, its a steel frame , made in Canada para that I bought just before the Clinton ban in the early 90s. It has never let me down, I keep a watch for spring wear and it always goes bang 12 times when the ammo and I do our part.
ok back to the bushing. I looked up the egw site and like their Officer's Bushing Carry Bevel Blue
Product ID : 14401

I sent an email to them and perhaps I didn't explain well enough what I wanted, so I got a response that went like this,

"Not sure that we are on the same page as far as dimensions go. Here is what I need to help you in getting the replacement. I will need the slide dimension or OD, this is the opening of the slide where the bushing goes in, the second is the ID or barrel dimension. I would go with the angle bore since we can hold a tighter tolerance. Your dimension of .770 seems a little on the larger side."

I have since replied to their email with the dims above, but have not heard back for them yet, that was 2 days ago.

the email said this,

thank you for the prompt reply to my email.
I see what you are saying, I sent you the dims on what I have , not what I need. Sorry about that.
ok lets try this,
I need a barrel bushing for a para ord p-12. it is basically has a series 80 colt officer model slide, with a 3 and a half inch (3.5 in) barrel.
The original bushing looks just like your Officer's Bushing Carry Bevel.

The original bushing measures .704 inner diam.

The ID of the bushing should be .001, or so, larger than the outer barrel measurement, right?

The outside of the barrel measures .699

So the inner diameter of the new bushing needs to be .700 / .701

That takes care of the inner diam of the bushing if I am correct.

On to the outer diam of the bushing.

I checked the outer diam of the original bushing that was shipped with the gun. it measures .660 and is very loose when installed into the slide. It wobbles inside the slide.
Measuring the inside of the slide I get .770, which I assume is why the bushing has so much movement.
the original bushing was never tight.

So to sum it all up. I believe I need a angled bore Officer's Bushing Carry Bevel Blue
that has a inner diameter of .700 to .701 with an outer diameter of .769 /.768

Math is not one of my strong points as you could probably tell, lol,and I will defer to your professional opinion.

Thank you for all your help and understanding .

I will need the slide dimension or OD, this is the opening of the slide where the bushing goes in,

Measuring the inside of the slide I get .770

the second is the ID or barrel dimension.

The outside of the barrel measures .699

I would like a angled bore Officer's Bushing Carry Bevel Blue

Now for the help I need.
the outer diam of my barrel measures .699
the inner diam of my slide measures .770

do these dims seem overly out of spec some how? not knowing what other P12 barrel bushings spec are at, I'm not sure if my P12 is an anomaly or not.
Thanks in advance to any and all help.
Roland

·
Banned
725 Posts
I installed a 14401 bushing on my p12 slide (before I switched to the carry melt, for looks mostly) my barrel measures o.d. .697 and i.d. of slide is .765 , and the bushing required quite a bit of sanding and filing to make it fit. Hope that info helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
colonel, I was looking at the sarco site a few days ago, even drove over to Easton pa to see what they had, about a 20 min ride from me. picked up a few things, but the fella behind the counter told me all the para stuff is at there warehouse in the Republik of NJ and not a store, just a warehouse. by looking at the pic on there site I belive the Large bushing is longer, to long for my p12, perhaps its for the p14 / p15 series? the medium bushing does look promising though, I may just go that route, if I cant find anything with a tighter tolerance.

blue, just curious, did the carry melt require the same filing and sanding? and did you get the angled bore bushing?

Thanks again for the help

·
Banned
725 Posts
The carry bushing actually required as much work to fit the barrel and inside of slide, and more work to try to match to the slide outer contours. It also came out cocked to one side and I had to elongate the hole for the guide rod bushing to make it appear more centered on the slide.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Get the EGW bushing! If your measurements are close/correct, it sounds like the EGW part will be a nice fit. The EGW bushing should also get you a tighter/better fit where the bushing's 'lug' locks into the slide's keyway (might require a little filing on the forward face of the 'lug').

Getting another Para/Colt/Sarco bushing will not be much improvement over what you have now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone who took the time to help me out, I just ordered the egw bushing stated above, when it comes in, ill let you know how it worked out.
Roland

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanks everyone who took the time to help me out, I just ordered the egw bushing stated above, when it comes in, ill let you know how it worked out.
Roland
What were the results? I too own a Canadian made P-12 which was purchased in the early 1990's. I would like to see how the EGW bushing works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
P12 barrel bushing

I know this is an old post, but I too needed a barrel bushing for my P12. One of the ears broke off and needed to be replaced. I was using this post to try and fix my problem. I ordered the EDW part, but it did not match my old bushing. The tab to lock the bushing into the slide was too long, it was much thicker than the original. I tried to modify it with a dremel tool, but could not get it to work. I got a wilson combat 29CO I found on Midway. It was a perfect match as far as size, locking tab. It only required a little work on the outside with a dremel stone. It fits and works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts