1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question:

Can I use the barrel from a P13-45 in a P12-45?

I know the longer barrel will extend beyond the slide on the P12, but will it fit and work OK? I need to know because here in Canada, only a select few "grandfathered" individuals can own handguns with barrels shorter than 4.2" inches. I am not one of the lucky ones who can. Thus, if I want to own something like a P12, I have to replace (and destroy) the evil short barrel with one that is longer than 4.2" and have it re-registered.

I have located a used P12 that I really want to buy. If the P13 (or even P14) barrel will work, I'll get a used one and stick it in the little blaster so I can buy it. It will look a little weird, but at least I'll be able to own it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
4,821 Posts
Hmmm...I don't know. I really like the idea of an entire P-13 top end (barrel and slide) on a P-12 frame, and I think it's been done before, but I don't know about a P-13 barrel in a P-12 slide (that's what you're talking about, right?). I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

· Banned
13,763 Posts
The paperwork nightmare will be more of a hassle.

Have you checked with the CFO to make sure they will even approve this? "Re-registering" a pistol is not so easy in Canada, and it's not likely the CFO will jump through hoops to make it happen.

If the P12 is registered as such with its serial number, then that S/N means it has prohibited weapon status. Changing the barrel does not change its S/N, so you will still have a probitited weapon - regardless of what barrel you put in it (unless the CFO will help you re-register the pistol as a restricted - and not prohibited - pistol).

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

· Registered
585 Posts
deja vu... I just answered this at the other 1911 forum.

Pretty sure it won't work. P13 and P14 guns use bushings... my P12 has a bull barrel that doesn't use a bushing. Long story short, the P14/P13 barrels would be unsecured and move around bcz the hole in the P12 slide will be too large.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.