1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I've been shooting a P16-40 Limited in USPSA competition for nearly two years. Except for sights and a hard-chrome finish, the gun is factory stock. I carry the same gun with my CHL.

The gun has functioned flawlessly, but I think I'm ready for a better trigger pull. I have read/heard that I should have the 80 Series parts removed as a part of this process, and the reasons make sense to me, but the disclaimer is always offered that the gun should no longer be used for carry in this condition. It is my understanding that there are probably 10's of thousands of "pre-80 series" guns still in current carry use. Is there something about the conversion that makes it less safe than these older guns?

Aside from that, I plan to get the trigger job even if I have to buy another carry gun. I have picked up that 2.5# would be best, although I also hear stories about much lighter weights. I'm looking for a durable and reliable setup I can learn to use. Are there trade-offs (other than DQ's) that must be made at the lower weights? Would a 2# pull only have half the life? Would a 1.5# only last one season?

Sorry for the long questions, thanks in advance for your expert and sage opinions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had EGW do my Paras. 2.5 trigger and they limited still has the series 80 stuff in it. I don't know about the rest of the guys but I know George can do what you want. I wouldn't carry a 2.5 trigger for carry. I have a 4 pounder on that. If it is done right with GOOD (read that as not the factory crap parts) it should last for a loooong time with no problems. I'm not sure how many rounds mine has on it but I know it is 10,000 plus.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard from many folks that retained the series 80 parts. I have accepted most of the comments that say those parts compromise what can be achieved with a trigger job. Is there a difference in your trigger feel compared to a converted version?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My limited has the 80 parts my Open doesn't because the rear of the slide was swooped down (lightened)They both break like glass at 2.25 - 2.5 lbs. I can't tell the difference. I think that is a bunch of crap started by some people that couldn't do a real light trigger. I've had GS tell me you can't do this or that, then go to a good GS and have them do it with no problems. Give Goerge a call he'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really gives me a different perspective. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i really don't know, but here's my simple take on it...

the series 80 junk is the first thing i remove on all 1911's i own. why? i don't know.

but as far as jepordizing the level of carry safety? i would think it all depends on the crispness of your thumb safety let off. all my guns are TIGHT! and not prone to "accidently" being taken off safe. the bottom line is that the gun will not fire without the beaver being depressed and the thumb safety being deactivated.

now pinning beavertails on carry guns? NO WAY!!!

Wyeth

·
Registered
364 Posts
The series 80 safety was never thought as an "In your hand" safety. It's to protect from having the firing pin strike the cartridge in the event you dropped the pistol, or a sharp blow to the pistol were to cause the hammer to fall or strike the firing pin. The series 80 safety was designed specifically to block the firing pin from forward movement unless the trigger has been depressed. It's true that no one could ever imagine dropping their "baby", but it does happen.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've set trigger pulls as light as two pounds with the series 80 parts still in the gun. However I don't like the series 80 parts in a competition gun for one reason. Competition guns are subject to high round counts with out cleaning and its possible that the firing pin plunger can get crudy enough that it will not move its full stroke and this can cause a misfire do to a light firing pin strike.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-04-2001).]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Since I originally posted my question I have removed the pertinent 80 series parts from the gun and have been shooting without them. I also installed an extra power firing pin spring.

While I remain ambivalent about the 80 series system, I have decided to leave it off as I work this gun up to be more competetive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts