1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking to purchase P229 legion compact 9mm as my CCW / EDC. Anybody have experience with carrying it? I heard that it's a bit on the heavier side.

Also, any dealer that you'd recommend on purchasing the piece? I'd like to potentially get a good pricing. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Well that 229 in 40 is one of my all time favorite's but I chuckle when they call it a compact but I guess it's shorter than a 226. I tried to carry it but it was just to big or rather fat. I only carry OWB and it just doesn't hide for me. I wouldn't call it heavy unless you're comparing it to a plastic gun or you're talking about an SSE.
As for buying them, I've bought all mine at my local gun shop, I don't remember them being price controlled so you might be able to find deals looking around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
First of all the legion series cost what it cost. Very rare to find a used one. Also I don’t think I would pay the money for a legion to carry. IMHO a regular 229/226 will be just as reliable and is still probably more accurate than most folks. However if you just want the legion go for it, they are very nice handguns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Being in MA, it's hard to find a gun that's nice looking with great quality as EDC. I've been also looking at HK VP9 as well. I'm going to go visit the local dealer and see how they both feel.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm thinking to purchase P229 legion compact 9mm as my CCW / EDC. Anybody have experience with carrying it? I heard that it's a bit on the heavier side.

Also, any dealer that you'd recommend on purchasing the piece? I'd like to potentially get a good pricing. Thanks!
I have one and it is not heavy. I carry it appendix in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5 with DCC clips. I also have a Milt Sparks Criterion for strongside carry. It carries better than most and is about the same as carrying a Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Being in MA, it's hard to find a gun that's nice looking with great quality as EDC. I've been also looking at HK VP9 as well. I'm going to go visit the local dealer and see how they both feel.
Shoot them since “feel” in a gun store is not a good method of choosing a handgun. You can rent a DA/SA P229 but just shoot it with the hammer cocked if you get the SAO version, or both DA and SA if you get the DA/SA version.

The HK is a solid choice and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can’t go wrong with the VP9 or the smaller VP9 sk. I have both. One of the best shooting guns I own hands down. Also the amount of options you can do to the grip with the panels on the H and K is insane. Definitely one of the better choices around. Like others have said go put your hands on them, and if there’s somebody who rents handguns go shoot them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the Legion 229 SAO, and I also own the VP9SK. Neither is small or thin, especially when compared to something like a Glock 43 or Sig 365 (or countless others). The Legion is a nearly flawless gun in my eyes. It's accurate, 100% reliable, holds 15 (or probably more with some mags), with outstanding sights and trigger. Can't imagine a better pistol for the $$. The VP9SK is also amazing for what it costs. I've owned and carried it with the pinky mag extensions only - the flush fit requires me to hang my pinky finger off the bottom and I hate shooting that way. The mag release on the VP9 series is something that takes a little getting used to. I'm betting that 99% of users in defensive situations will never empty their primary mag anyway, but it's always good to train with what you carry, and this is a completely different motion than most other pistols.

For me, the Legion is one of those guns I will never, ever sell. It is a little chunky to carry IWB (in my opinion), but I still wouldn't hesitate to own one regardless.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The P229 is a very fine pistol, damn accurate and reliable as anything. Love the gun but for me, there are better carry guns. It's just too fat and heavy. I have 15 round 40S&W magazines for mine and it is my nightstand gun. You're from Mass so why don't you check out Kahr, right down the road from you and great guns, maybe the best carry pistols. Very well-made pistols, very accurate and a pleasure to carry. I have a PM9 that I wouldn't part with, but they have several models to choose from if the PM9 is too small.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,017 Posts
As another poster noted above, used Legions are almost unobtanium. Owners don't sell. If I were springing for a new Sig it would be a legion. I have 2 Sig 1911s and they are flawless in operation and finish and carried often.

I have never handled a HK pistol but would like to just for the experience,

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Big fan of sigs. Especially the 226 and 229. But I'd never cary one, especially iwb. Not when we have options like the 365 or hellcat. Maybe I'm just a princess but big guns are just way too uncomfortable. I carried a 1911 iwb for years and pretended like it wasn't that bad, but it was. It sucked.

Got me a 365ms with a zerobulk and never looked back.

But I will say, you definitely need a 229 legion. Tell your wife I said it's okay to go ahead a buy one.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
As another poster noted above, used Legions are almost unobtanium. Owners don't sell. If I were springing for a new Sig it would be a legion. I have 2 Sig 1911s and they are flawless in operation and finish and carried often.

I have never handled a HK pistol but would like to just for the experience,
I've actually seen a couple on our local gun group page. But they're selling at almost full retail. Lol.

They are sweet. I want the 226 legion rxp sooooo bad. Ya know, the one with optics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with comments on it’s physical size being more of an issue than the weight. I no longer have my 229 carry, great gun BTW, because it was just to bulky to concealed carry for me. it snugged up fine in OWB carry but it’s bulky and thick. Personal choice of course, your results may and will vary. I have gone to smaller guns for carry (Ronin EMP 3” and a Sig P365). Adequate fire power, easily concealed and I forget I have them on they are so comfortable. If you are comfortable carrying the P229…. That is a hell of a great gun to carry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just got hooked up with a P228 at a pawnshop for $520 out the door. It looks and shoots like new.

Folks who know about these will tell you all about W.German and German pistols. This stuff does matter to collectors. The part that matters to me is a metal framed, hammer fired 9mm that's dependable and accurate.

They are great carry pistols. I really don't care what color it is or if it has a chevron on it that allows me to join some sort of club. There's probably parts of that whole trip that I haven't been hipped up on, my bad.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I just got hooked up with a P228 at a pawnshop for $520 out the door. It looks and shoots like new.

Folks who know about these will tell you all about W.German and German pistols. This stuff does matter to collectors. The part that matters to me is a metal framed, hammer fired 9mm that's dependable and accurate.

They are great carry pistols. I really don't care what color it is or if it has a chevron on it that allows me to join some sort of club. There's probably parts of that whole trip that I haven't been hipped up on, my bad.
One buys the Legion for the upgrades, not the chevron and club.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I am planning on trading a pair of CZs I have not been shooting for a long time for a 229 Legion SAO. I just saw on the SIG website that they sell 229 slides with optics attached. Slides such as that, do they need to be fitted?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts