1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the 1911.com community, but I have been lurking for a while now. I thought I'd give a little background info so that all might understand this post a little better.

I live in Houston, but it was the Katrina event in New Orleans that changed my life, and my family’s life. Seeing the fiasco unfold brought an acute awareness: not only was I woefully unprepared to go through an event such as a natural disaster, but I was unprepared for normal daily life in a world where things not only can go wrong, but often do. Somehow, I changed after Katrina. Some might even say I grew up. All I know is that protecting my family and myself became a very, very high priority. My wife and I immediately got our carry permits and began training, studying and most importantly, thinking about life in a different way.

After about a year into it, I have come to love shooting, and I have several weapons...Glock 22, Glock 17, HK P30, Kel-Tec .9 and .32 as BUGs, SW .357 model 686-s wheel...yet the 1911 frames have always drawn me for some reason. I have been reluctant to follow the desire because they are reported to be what I call "tempermental", i.e., it seems each one "likes a certain lube", or "likes one round versus another", etc. Admittedly, I am not a gunsmith, and actually not much of a tinkerer yet. I would love to know more about the machines themselves, but honestly at this stage of the game, I just really love to shoot. Hence the Glocks...i squeeze, they go bang. The HK was a dream impulse purchase. It handled like a dream when I first held it, and it handles like a dream at the range.

Looking for a better carry gun led me to the Para Carry 9 with their wonderful LDA trigger. I looked at several 3 and 4-inchers and it became toss up between Kimber and Para. The Kimbers I looked at were .45 cal. I really do want one, but my thoughts of such a small gun for that round had me thinking the gun would have tough recoil…maybe too tough to want to spend much time practicing with it as my No.1 carry weapon. Ammo cost was a factor also. I know a lot of folks like the knockdown power of the .45 vs. the 9mm, and I am all for that. Yet at the end of the day right now, if something were to happen I want the tightest groups possible with the most rounds necessary.

My choice for the PARA was based on the feel of the gun in my hand, the feel and ease of the holster draw, and the feel of that super awesome LDA trigger. Since my experience is somewhat limited, I also relied on the reported Para pedigree as a confidence booster. They make fine products and they stand behind them.

The day I bought the gun was a great day and I felt like a kid with a new toy. I field stripped it and cleaned it, then wore it for a few days until I could get it to the range. It took no time at all to get used to carrying even driving or sitting, and it concealed perfectly. This is it, I thought, MY perfect carry gun.

At the range however, I quickly realized that I may have erred in my judgment. The first several mags had several stovepipes and FTFs, but I wrote that off as break-in symptoms, and continued to shoot, clear, reload and shoot. After a couple frustrating hours of this, and almost bloody thumbs from reloading those stout Para mags, I decide to go home and spend time at the bench thoroughly cleaning and studying the problem. I couldn’t find anything wrong, but I chalked it up to lack of smithy skills. I went back to shoot another day with the same effect. My frustration was compounded by the fact that I REALLY wanted this gun to work. The trigger is indeed a beautiful thing, and I found it to be surprisingly accurate even at longer distances. This gun is very easy for me to control and shoot…when it shot.

I called PARA. As others have said, they were top notch folks. I explained the problem, and their tech guy immediately said it sounded like an extractor misalignment. They said to send it in, and they’d turn it around quickly. I did, and they did. I took it to range and in ran 10 mags through with only 2 FTFs. Again, I thought “break-in period”, and felt my confidence being restored.

I took it home, cleaned it thoroughly and waited for the next time at the range. I had found this site by that time and read melensdad(s) and jocko(s) posts. I even PM’s melensdad as I saw his post first. He confirmed that lube seems to be the answer. Todd Jarrett says in the gun’s accompanying DVD that these stainless guns like a lot of lubrication. Well, there you go. More lube and things should clear up.

My next time at the range, I loaded both mags that came with the gun, inserted one and squeezed one off down range. Perfect. I squeezed round number two…nothing. After clearing ftfs for a few minutes of shooting one shot, the slide became very heavy, almost frozen. Luckily, at my range, the owner is a very good 1911 gunsmith and has owned several Paras. I gave it to him and asked him to make it perfect, or if he is unable, make it tradeable. He knew of my problems with it and is confident of his ability to solve the problem(s).

I am not upset with Para for anything. I wish their shipping policy for repairs on new guns were better, but they have a great reputation. My one experience with customer service was great. The only reason I am not going back to them for more is that I can look my smith in the face for the same money, and I can get real time info at the range if problems do occur.

I hope like heck my guy can get it worked out, because I want this gun for my carry.

I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ADD A FEW DROPS OF OIL TO THE RAILS AND WEAR POINTS!

I had similar problems when my gun was refinished. Mine runs 100% now, I just make sure I have it lubed with about 5 or 6 drops of a high quality gun oil. I prefer WEAPONS SHIELD brand. It is a cleaner, lubricant and protectant. Its made by Steel Shield. You can find it on the internet pretty easily. Its a great product and my Carry 9 runs perfectly since I've been using it.

There are a few of us here on the 1911 Forums with Carry 9s that had FTF and stovepipes. Each one of us found the solution. LUBE THE GUN.

It is a great little gun, I agree with everything you wrote about it, but if you want it to run flawlessly you need to lube the rails and it will make you very happy again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand...

Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this. I did lube liberally, as you and Jocko said, although not with Weapon Shield. I use Mobil One Synthetic as was mentioned by the folks at Para who worked on my gun as sent in the first time. I also took the lube to the range, figuring that I would keep it lubed as I shot through any break-in period.

The slide, however ceased sliding after only a few rounds. It didn't seize completely, but it was difficult enough to pull back that I simply had to hand over to a quality smith.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this. I did lube liberally, as you and Jocko said, although not with Weapon Shield. I use Mobil One Synthetic as was mentioned by the folks at Para who worked on my gun as sent in the first time. I also took the lube to the range, figuring that I would keep it lubed as I shot through any break-in period.

The slide, however ceased sliding after only a few rounds. It didn't seize completely, but it was difficult enough to pull back that I simply had to hand over to a quality smith.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you posted.
JBlake.. Your experience after Katrina is exactly the same as mine.. I'm from Ohio, but was working on planning a large retail project in Pearland Texas during that time frame. What an eye opener. I also woke up and now have the training and tools that I need. It took me 50 years to realize that when it comes to personal protection I am responsible. Its also been fun, and my wife and I have something else to do together. She figured it out too!

The Para LDA is great..takes some time to break in, (except for the finish, that breaks right away)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I am fairly new to the 1911.com community, but I have been lurking for a while now. I thought I'd give a little background info so that all might understand this post a little better.

I live in Houston, but it was the Katrina event in New Orleans that changed my life, and my family’s life. Seeing the fiasco unfold brought an acute awareness: not only was I woefully unprepared to go through an event such as a natural disaster, but I was unprepared for normal daily life in a world where things not only can go wrong, but often do. Somehow, I changed after Katrina. Some might even say I grew up. All I know is that protecting my family and myself became a very, very high priority. My wife and I immediately got our carry permits and began training, studying and most importantly, thinking about life in a different way.

After about a year into it, I have come to love shooting, and I have several weapons...Glock 22, Glock 17, HK P30, Kel-Tec .9 and .32 as BUGs, SW .357 model 686-s wheel...yet the 1911 frames have always drawn me for some reason. I have been reluctant to follow the desire because they are reported to be what I call "tempermental", i.e., it seems each one "likes a certain lube", or "likes one round versus another", etc. Admittedly, I am not a gunsmith, and actually not much of a tinkerer yet. I would love to know more about the machines themselves, but honestly at this stage of the game, I just really love to shoot. Hence the Glocks...i squeeze, they go bang. The HK was a dream impulse purchase. It handled like a dream when I first held it, and it handles like a dream at the range.

Looking for a better carry gun led me to the Para Carry 9 with their wonderful LDA trigger. I looked at several 3 and 4-inchers and it became toss up between Kimber and Para. The Kimbers I looked at were .45 cal. I really do want one, but my thoughts of such a small gun for that round had me thinking the gun would have tough recoil…maybe too tough to want to spend much time practicing with it as my No.1 carry weapon. Ammo cost was a factor also. I know a lot of folks like the knockdown power of the .45 vs. the 9mm, and I am all for that. Yet at the end of the day right now, if something were to happen I want the tightest groups possible with the most rounds necessary.

My choice for the PARA was based on the feel of the gun in my hand, the feel and ease of the holster draw, and the feel of that super awesome LDA trigger. Since my experience is somewhat limited, I also relied on the reported Para pedigree as a confidence booster. They make fine products and they stand behind them.

The day I bought the gun was a great day and I felt like a kid with a new toy. I field stripped it and cleaned it, then wore it for a few days until I could get it to the range. It took no time at all to get used to carrying even driving or sitting, and it concealed perfectly. This is it, I thought, MY perfect carry gun.

At the range however, I quickly realized that I may have erred in my judgment. The first several mags had several stovepipes and FTFs, but I wrote that off as break-in symptoms, and continued to shoot, clear, reload and shoot. After a couple frustrating hours of this, and almost bloody thumbs from reloading those stout Para mags, I decide to go home and spend time at the bench thoroughly cleaning and studying the problem. I couldn’t find anything wrong, but I chalked it up to lack of smithy skills. I went back to shoot another day with the same effect. My frustration was compounded by the fact that I REALLY wanted this gun to work. The trigger is indeed a beautiful thing, and I found it to be surprisingly accurate even at longer distances. This gun is very easy for me to control and shoot…when it shot.

I called PARA. As others have said, they were top notch folks. I explained the problem, and their tech guy immediately said it sounded like an extractor misalignment. They said to send it in, and they’d turn it around quickly. I did, and they did. I took it to range and in ran 10 mags through with only 2 FTFs. Again, I thought “break-in period”, and felt my confidence being restored.

I took it home, cleaned it thoroughly and waited for the next time at the range. I had found this site by that time and read melensdad(s) and jocko(s) posts. I even PM’s melensdad as I saw his post first. He confirmed that lube seems to be the answer. Todd Jarrett says in the gun’s accompanying DVD that these stainless guns like a lot of lubrication. Well, there you go. More lube and things should clear up.

My next time at the range, I loaded both mags that came with the gun, inserted one and squeezed one off down range. Perfect. I squeezed round number two…nothing. After clearing ftfs for a few minutes of shooting one shot, the slide became very heavy, almost frozen. Luckily, at my range, the owner is a very good 1911 gunsmith and has owned several Paras. I gave it to him and asked him to make it perfect, or if he is unable, make it tradeable. He knew of my problems with it and is confident of his ability to solve the problem(s).

I am not upset with Para for anything. I wish their shipping policy for repairs on new guns were better, but they have a great reputation. My one experience with customer service was great. The only reason I am not going back to them for more is that I can look my smith in the face for the same money, and I can get real time info at the range if problems do occur.

I hope like heck my guy can get it worked out, because I want this gun for my carry.

I will let you know how it goes.
I've been dying to hear any updates. I too, plan to purchase the Carry 9 in stainless, which I didn't know existed till now.

Any updates??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been dying to hear any updates. I too, plan to purchase the Carry 9 in stainless, which I didn't know existed till now.

Any updates??
Maybe it no longer exists? The model number from my invoice is CWX79S, but the only one I see available is CWX79R. Weird. The DVD that came with the new gun has TJ talking about how much these guns like lube, especially stainless ones.

I haven't seen mine since I posted the first time, as it has been with a custome smithy for repair. He told me the other day that he found a crack in the LDA trigger system that PARA would not let him repair. He had to send it back to PARA to have that part replaced. When it gets back, and he finishes the polishing and tweaking, it ought to be good to go. I have never been as disappointed in a gun, though, it has been a learning process.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Maybe it no longer exists? The model number from my invoice is CWX79S, but the only one I see available is CWX79R. Weird. The DVD that came with the new gun has TJ talking about how much these guns like lube, especially stainless ones.

I haven't seen mine since I posted the first time, as it has been with a custome smithy for repair. He told me the other day that he found a crack in the LDA trigger system that PARA would not let him repair. He had to send it back to PARA to have that part replaced. When it gets back, and he finishes the polishing and tweaking, it ought to be good to go. I have never been as disappointed in a gun, though, it has been a learning process.

I didn't find anything when I googled it. (CWX79S)

Maybe Para saw that the stainless model was going to be too durable. :)

When you've got hundreds of gallons of that black "Para-Paint" sitting around, you gotta do something!:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called PARA, out of curiosity, to see if they still made the stainless and was told they never made it in stainless, only in alloy. I told them "that's odd, I have one." I was transferred to a man who said they did make them, but very, very few of them as the gun was designed to be alloy. I asked why they discontinued and he said they just decided to stick with the alloy model.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I called PARA, out of curiosity, to see if they still made the stainless and was told they never made it in stainless, only in alloy. I told them "that's odd, I have one." I was transferred to a man who said they did make them, but very, very few of them as the gun was designed to be alloy. I asked why they discontinued and he said they just decided to stick with the alloy model.
I'm glad you called because I'm definitely puzzeled. About 8 months ago I purchased the alloy/black one. I shot about 100 rounds through it with no issues. It was a time when I got hooked and kept buying handguns at every gunshow. When I finally got to my senses and especially having newborn twins, I decided to sell a couple of them which included the Carry 9 (about 2 months ago). Now remember I'm at a Gunshow almost every weekend here in Texas. About 3 weeks ago I was ''SHOCKED" and "THRILLED" to see that the Carry9 came out with the stainless fiinsh (I love shiny guns). And almost every major vendor had one, they were all over the place. I held one and promised myself this was my next purchase:biglaugh:. (Inspite of telling myself "NO MORE GUNS"). I went home and did some research especially at Para's website to look at it's specs. And sure enough could not find it anywhere.
Sorry for the long story, but bottomline is I've been puzzled since then and did'nt know what was going on till I read this thread. It makes me wonder the realibility of the pistol, the fact that they decided to discontinue it nor marketed it in any way since they made them:scratch:

Here's a pic of my Carry9 when I still had it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Have a Carry 9 (black) purchased used at a gun show in Jan. Have fired about 250 rounds thru it with NO problems. Gun has after market XS 24/7 night sights on it and they are not very accurate. Shoots 2" low and 1" left, (It is not me as I have had several othe people shoot from bench rest and off hand with same results) Whoever installed these sights used some type of thread locker on the "tiny" .050" allen screws that hold the rear sight on, and I have been unable to get them loose. I will probably send the slide to Para for their $99.00 three dot night sights to be installed. It is my favorite carry gun in spite of the poor sights. I carry IWB in a Brommeland holster and it is VERY comfortable.:rock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had my smithy call PARA to check on the repair they were supposed to make (i.e. cracked piece w/in their LDA trigger system) and they said it would be anotehr week, as they are backed up with repairs.

Makes you wonder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quick update for those that care to know:

Para replaced the broken part on the gun, and my smith has finished the polish work on all the moving parts, feed ramp and chamber. The weapon now operates beautifully...very smoothly and crisply, as it should have from the beginning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carry9 Stainless

[There is nothing wrong with the stainless steel version of the carry9.
Iwas lucky in finding it at a Fl. gun dealer, April of 2008, New. For some reason I was compelled to purchase it.
I made a special trip to Gatlinburg,TN. to go to the wonderful Smokey Mountain National Park and went to and met some of the staff of Para USA. The parts and repair center is only 10 miles from the park. The head smithy,Joel, told me a little of the guns history. The stainless carry9,was a limited production of 50 units made for just one distribitor, and told me that 3 employees,including himself, have been trying to locate and purhase one, Joel and the staff made the visit very special.
Yours Truly,
snewman230

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Iwas lucky in finding it at a Fl. gun dealer, April of 2008, New. For some reason I was compelled to purchase it.
I made a special trip to Gatlinburg,TN. to go to the wonderful Smokey Mountain National Park and went to and met some of the staff of Para USA. The parts and repair center is only 10 miles from the park. The head smithy,Joel, told me a little of the guns history. The stainless carry9,was a limited production of 50 units made for just one distribitor, and told me that 3 employees,including himself, have been trying to locate and purhase one, Joel and the staff made the visit very special.
Yours Truly,
snewman230
Thanks for the info! I've always wondered about this particular pistol since it's not advertised anywhere including Para's own website. But if your saying it's a limited production of ONLY 50, then that makes more sense.

The ironic thing is, to this day, I still see at least 3 of them at every Gunshow here in Texas. My guess (because of your info) is that they are the same 3 I've been seeing because they're not really selling.

I think people are staying away from it NOT because of the pistol itself but like me, I hesitated because I was positive Para didn't sell a stainless version. Now that your saying it's legit and it's even a limited production, I may just circle back and pick one up! Same Gunshow again this weekend and I'm confident the 3 pistols will be there.

Thanks again snewman230 for the heads up!:rock:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Yours Truly,
snewman230

Oh! AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yours Truly,
snewman230
I know where the can find one if they want it. They can PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi JBLAKE,
I would not worry of back up of repair at Para USA. Its manufactured in Canada and sold internationally. There is only one repair center, in the USA.and does not have a huge staff. Dont forget that they give a life time of FREE service on their guns made since 2001. I would think that they have sold a very large number of guns since then.This means, there are many guns out there that have been used for many years. Even though a gun may have a small repair problem, it still takes time to do the proper job (not rush it though). I would only be concerned with the quality of the service, and not that there backed up. Most businesses would not have let you know that they are backed up, because they would not want you to know that fact. I give credit to Joel,Dee, and the rest of the staff at Para for their honesty and respect them for having great work ethics.
Best to You
snewman230

·
Registered
13 Posts
A continuation ...
Last night I became a Para-owner. A spontaneous buy, but I couldn't help myself (you know the story).

There I was at Cabela's browsing and looking at cheap little pocket pistols when this gleaming jewel caught my eye in the used guns cabinet. It was a stainless Para Carry 9. At least I think the slide is stainless, the frame actually looks to be an alloy. I took it down in the store and we had quite a bit of trouble with reassembly even though the thing looks like it's never been fired.

Regardless, I bought it (oops, and today was Mother's Day - don't think I can worm my way out of this one) and got it home for a thorough cleaning. I think the reason for the difficult reassembly is a bent ejector. I will attempt to add some pics here so you that are familiar with/have Carry 9s can educate me.

My questions are: Is this considered the stainless in spite of an alloy frame?
Is the ejector supposed to look like that? Is there supposed to be a pin in that tiny hole holding the ejector in?

I got the gun cheap enough that I don't mind ordering an ejector from Brownell's, I just want to know that it is necessary.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts