1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so ran through 20 rounds of CCi Standard Velocity in my Sig P220 Classic 22 at 25 yards and everything was in the 8 ring on a standard 25 yard NRA B8 target.

Switching to my Para Expert SS 20 rounds of HPR Hyperclean 230 grain. Point of aim is the X. 9 rounds in a 4.5" group in the very lower left corner of the B8 not in the rings at all. The rest are off the page also seemingly in the lower left because they chewed up the 3/4" ply under the target.

I have to think at this point that the gun sights are actually way off at 25 yards. American Eagle 230 was all over the place but the HPR was actually grouping just far left and well below the black.

At this point I am thinking about sending the gun to Dawson Precision and having them fit their Perfect Impact sights front and rear and having them test it out at 25 yards to verify it.

I'm going to see if I can get some lighter loads first, maybe 200 or 185 grain and get someone else to try it out and see how they do.

It's a little frustrating because at lesser distances I do pretty well with it. 10 - 12 yards I am getting 20 rounds in a 8 inch group around the point of aim. It's just at 25 yards that everything goes wonky on me. :grumble:

-Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
How long have you shot your Sig vs the 1911?

I ask because a single action DA/SA trigger is NOT in the same category as a SAO bang switch.After shooting a DA/SA pistol for over a year, my first group with the Para Black Ops were low and left.Turned out my finger placement needed to change .

·
Registered
110 Posts
You have to adjust your aim if you shoot low aim higher if you shoot left adjust to the right i teach this in my firearms classes . Try it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long have you shot your Sig vs the 1911?

I ask because a single action DA/SA trigger is NOT in the same category as a SAO bang switch.After shooting a DA/SA pistol for over a year, my first group with the Para Black Ops were low and left.Turned out my finger placement needed to change .
I've had the sig for about 8 months but generally I shoot it single action only. I have maybe 900 rounds through the Sig. It does have a Dawson fiber front sight that helps acquire the front sight a bit better then the old white dot it had and I blacked out the rear site on it to make the front show up better.

It may just be that I need to run another 500 rounds though the Para. I only have about 200 - 225 rounds through it now. Might black out the rear white dots there too.

You have to adjust your aim if you shoot low aim higher if you shoot left adjust to the right i teach this in my firearms classes . Try it
In archery we call that a Kentucky Windage. I've heard a few people at the range call it that for shooting too. I'm trying not to do that until I am absolutely sure it's the sights and not me, don't want to cover up any bad habits with more bad habits :) I think I need to get someone else with 1911 experience to try it and see if they have the same results. I'm just not sure who that someone would be... just don't know any other shooters that well... :(

-Jim

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
OK, so ran through 20 rounds of CCi Standard Velocity in my Sig P220 Classic 22 at 25 yards and everything was in the 8 ring on a standard 25 yard NRA B8 target.

Switching to my Para Expert SS 20 rounds of HPR Hyperclean 230 grain. Point of aim is the X. 9 rounds in a 4.5" group in the very lower left corner of the B8 not in the rings at all. The rest are off the page also seemingly in the lower left because they chewed up the 3/4" ply under the target.

I have to think at this point that the gun sights are actually way off at 25 yards. American Eagle 230 was all over the place but the HPR was actually grouping just far right and well below the black.

At this point I am thinking about sending the gun to Dawson Precision and having them fit their Perfect Impact sights front and rear and having them test it out at 25 yards to verify it.

I'm going to see if I can get some lighter loads first, maybe 200 or 185 grain and get someone else to try it out and see how they do.

It's a little frustrating because at lesser distances I do pretty well with it. 10 - 12 yards I am getting 20 rounds in a 8 inch group around the point of aim. It's just at 25 yards that everything goes wonky on me. :grumble:

-Jim
Forty5ACP is right. It is easy to throw your accuracy off switching back-and-forth between DA/SA - even in SA mode - and an SAO with a hair trigger like a 1911. You have to shoot one or the other for a while.
-
Take a look at these too for some ideas. The "target" chart is for right-handed shooters. It is reversed for left-handed.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts