1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site...and just picked up my first Para. It's a SS Tac Four....but have a question already.
I want to replace the grips, but not sure which size I need (Gov, Officers, Etc).

TIA,

GWTacFour

· Registered
2,525 Posts
GWTacFour said:
New to the site...and just picked up my first Para. It's a SS Tac Four....but have a question already.
I want to replace the grips, but not sure which size I need (Gov, Officers, Etc).
Chuck's right. A Tac-Four is a P1345.

However, as I put my pointy "voice of experience" hat on, there is one caveat.

About 18 months ago I bought a green Tac-Four. I finally found grips for it at Pearce. They came through with two little "ears" at the top rear of the grip. Hurt a lot to shoot that way.

I finally decided that I could safely cut 'em off, and I did, with some reservations.

A month or so later I happened to see an add on Entreprise's site showing bare wide-body 1911 frames and grips with ears....

I asked....

Turns out that a widebody 1911 needs frame cutouts to clear the trigger bow. The ears cover the cutouts. An LDA hasn't got a bow. Or the cutouts.... :eek:

Very careful work with a safety razor....

AFAIK, all widebody Para guns need custom grips. They've been around long enough that finding them ought to be easy enough, but perhaps not everybody's got 'em. Note that the P13 grip is actually an "Officer's" length - the fat magazine bottom makes it look and feel like a "standard" or GM length. The P14 is GM length....

Dunno whether it shows on this forum, but my usual avatar is that green Tac-Four, with Pearce grips and an arched MSH.

Regards,

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Ddrag50:

Beautiful....

Is that gun a PXT?

We're having a discussion someplace and nobody remembered if the Tac-Four had been made without the PXT....

(I wish I could remember where.... I "do" about three 1911-ish forums. :) )

Mines the Green one, circa March 2004, with PXT, and now with an arched MSH and Pearce "finger groove" grips.

I still don't really like the sights, but it shoots better than I can. The arched MSH puts the natural point of aim closer to my other 1911's (all have an arched MSH), and the grips just help the hold a little. I've got big enough hands that the extra stuff down there is only a concealment issue.

Regards,

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Dan:

If you don't have that big "PXT" on the slide, it's probably not one. Some of us were speculating that there weren't any Tac-Four's that didn't include the PXT....

One good and simple check is the size of the extractor - the PXT is about half-again as big as the standard Colt/Browning extractor when you look at the rear of the slide.

Regards,

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Shelby:

I don't have a part number handy, but it came from Brownells. You must (AFAIK) tell 'em it's for a Para P13, though. (I.e., order the right one.... :) )

They have the same one for full size & Commander and Officer's. The P13 or Tac-Four are "Officer's", but I had one here for that and it wouldn't fit.

'Round $35, I think....

All metal, too! Some of the P13/Tac-Four MSHs are plastic. You will feel the difference.

(I think it's a Wilson.)

Regards,

· Banned
7,478 Posts
Note the smoothed "ear" on these full size P14-45 vanity grips. The trigger bow is exposed underneath them.

I forget who made these.

Pistol is an old, original alloy frame P14-45. Neither the grips, hammer, nor safety is stock. Hammer and safety are para parts, though.

A real handful!

-- Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.