1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Para LDA with a full size grip and a 4.25" barrel. I prefer a single stack but a double would be OK. Well here is the issue, I want actually need, it in 9mm. I know go 45, I can't due to restrictions. Para does not make such an animal. So the question is..Are the frames for these all the same size. It is my understanding that the double stack frames are...this is why the mags on the 9mm are pinched in so much. As I said I prefer the feel of the single stack, so are these the same? I was thinking of getting a 7.45 lda and converting it to a "commander" size 9mm. Any advise or gunsmith recommendations? WOW that was long! Sorry.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Since Para uses ramped barrels, Para frames are the same between calibers with the exception of the ejector. In addition to the 9mm barrel, you'll need a 9mm specific extractor, slide stop, firing pin, and slide(9mm has narrower breech face).

So on top of the host gun, you'll need another $500 or so for the top end, springs, and mags.

Also, when fitting a 4.25" slide to a 5" frame, you need to have the front of the slide rails and dust cover shortened and mill back the recoil plug tunnel deeper.

Does it have to be an LDA? The Para LTC 9mm or a used 9mm Commander is what you are describing except they're single action.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LDA vs single action

Yes it does need to be the LDA as that is also a restriction. I love the LTC in 9mm with the alloy frame that would be awsome...I just wish they made that same gun in LDA. Thanks for all the great info.....I feel a project coming on.....Any recomendations on slide brand...and what barrel brands will work, does it have to be a Para barrel. I have found many slides on gunbroker but I'm not sure of the quality. KUrt

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
9mm Para LDA

I would contact Para Ordnance and discuss the type of gun you want. They may be able to work with you to make the gun you want, or may provide their parts to be able to assemble the gun. You may be able to buy a "commander" length slide and a frame already cut as needed. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call and discuss any options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Para LDA slide

Is there, then, a source for a commander size 9mm slide available for a Para LDA lower? Or is it as I fear .......a hopeless pursuit? Could I cut down a Para Tac-5 slide to make it a commander size? The Tac-5, if you are not aware, is a double stack LDA 9mm with a 5" barrel. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Para LDA slide

I forgot to mention that I had called Para before and they did not help much simply stating that they would send me a catalog of what they make and they were sure that I would find a pistol that would fullfill my need.......Sorry you don't.......No Para custom shop obviously.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You cannot use a standard slide on an LDA, as the slides are different with regard to the location of the disconnector and are not interchangeable between the two styles of action. Best,
If this is the only difference in the slides you could weld up the disconnector groove and mill it where it is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts