1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sent my double and single stack LDAs to P-O to get a flat mainspring housing and to bob the hammers. I did the latter for two reasons: first for holster fit and second to eliminate the temptation to try to cock the hammer, which I understand can harm the gun. Anyway they had it back to me in under a week with those changes free of charge. In addition they did something to the platform and test fired it. My question is, what sort of modifications did they do and what is the platform? Thanks.

By the way, their service was excellent with absolutely no hassles.

------------------
Mark

· Registered
11 Posts
e'ville -- not sure what is meant by "PLATFORM". There have been some parts changes since the LDA was first released. Depending on when yours was made, it may or may not have had all the changes installed. Maybe what they did was update your gun to the most current. Would expect them to test fire any gun they made changes to to make sure it worked properly before they shipped it.

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Yes
You guys are right on!
they have done several revisions on the LDA
the platform is what the back of the trigger
bar rides on. It is held captive by the sear
pin, rides up and down on it, held up by a coil spring that attaches to the sear spring.
And Yes Larry is a good guy
GM limited shooter so he has a clue, no doubt!
geo ><>

· Registered
29 Posts
Not familiar with "Bobbed" hammers on semi-autos. Is it similar to what some would do with snubbie revolvers in years past? I'd think that by reducing the semi-auto hammer's weight, one might run the chance of a failure to fire? I'm surprised that PO would make this alteration if it is not part of the "stock package" offered.

My 14-45 LDA was far less than pleasing. I came across this fellow in Doylestown, PA who took pitty on my situation and housed and fed my PO over a Thanksgiving weekend
I doubt there is a better shootin' PO-LDA around as a result of his involvement.

------------------
If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about? (Clint Smith)

· Registered
161 Posts
I know what you mean. I just picked mine up from George. Can't wait to get out in the morning and play. The trigger is great. The guy does an incredible job. I just hope he doesn't get too famous like some of these guys that want your first born and pension for a gun! It's nice to see that some people's prices aren't based on how many times their guns make it in to a magazine article.

· Registered
211 Posts
Bobbed and flush hammers causing light strikes??????? Never seen that one. There's a very simple test to determine the strike force of your firing pin/hammer/spring. A pencil with an eraser dropped into the barrel of an unloaded pistol. (Eraser end sitting on the firing pin port. Cock it, and pull the trigger with the barrel pointing straight up. Be ready to pluck your sharp pencil out of your ceiling tile. Modern primers are so sensitive that you can explode it with a static charge. Minimal compression will ignite it. Common mainspring strength of 22lbs is considered to be 3 times the effective force to activate ignition of the primer. So why use it? Faster hammer fall.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

· Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by Recon:
The guy does an incredible job.
Recon, DITTO with your posting... in all aspects.

Newton, You make sense. I'm just unfamiliar with "Bobbed" hammers on semi-autos... now I'm not.

------------------
If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about? (Clint Smith)

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Hi All
First and formost thank you for your kind words!

Some of the fast guys use 15# main springs in there 1 1/2# trigger jobs. They are on the edge so they use long firing pins that actually hit the primer. Usually it is an inertia firing pin. 19# breaks every cap we have ever shot.
Good point on the pencil trick (that is why we have 19' celings
We test every gun we work on with this test. Ser 80 guns particulary. overtravel can keep the firing pin block from working. we use a widgit though. (packmayer) they are always the same.
(plus it is safer looking up for a widget!)
if the widgit goes 3' the gun goes bang.
sig 1911 beretta we check them all. great trick on revolvers too!
on the paddle hammer, Weigand I believe was the first to offer it. No problems with light hits as the firing pin is inertia, just gets smacked sooner. Same for Koenigs hammer, light and quick.
Lighter main spring usually makes the trigger pull lighter. (sometimes more rolley too)
take care guys.
geo ><>

· Registered
29 Posts
George, Why are you on the computer at 10:45 at night? Your supposed to be Working in your shop, making room for the next "Guest" I have for you (or was that guests)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pete 45 (edited 05-28-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.