1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Hi Cap Para with a Colt slide. I don't know what model it is and would like to pick up some additional mags. It came with a 13 round mag.

I checked the Para web site which with all the models listed for various mags just left me confused. How can I tell what mag to purchase?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
If it is a Hi Cap in 45ACP it might be the Para P-14. If so I have mags available for it in the 14 round version.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
The Para was originally available as a frame kit, to "convert" Colts to hi-cap. A few years later, they introduced the P-14 pistol, with a 13-round mag (13+1 = 14). Shortly, they increased the mag capacity to 14. So, you may have a really old Para mag, or you may have the 13-round mag that Mec-Gar currently makes for the P-14. Of course, there's also the 13-round mag that Para makes for the P-13, but that gun has a shortened grip frame, and I'm assuming your gun is a 5" with full-length frame. Para holds their mags quite dear, asking $40 or more for them, when lots of other hi-caps are $15-$20. ACT-Mag, of Italy, makes a Para clone mag that costs about $20-$25, depending on where you buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great information. My Para is full size; the Para mag that came with it (holds 13) is blued and looks like the pre ban mags on the Para web site. This gun was built by an old-timer that worked at Colt for 30+ years and I'm guessing it was done a long time ago.

My son is in the business (he lives in Vegas) and got me an invite to the shot show next week. I see ACT-Mag has a booth so I'll look them up.

Just picked up the gun yesterday and hope to get out this afternoon if it warms up a little (I'm in CT) to try it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts