1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what causes it? they're preban tubes for .38 super, I was told they work in 9mm (i have an 18.9 LDA 9mm)

I"ve tried them with the factory follower and an Arredondo Accessories follower.

the first round instead of feeding up and into the chamber, gets it's nose pushed down and straight into the feedramp jamming the gun. the 10 rounder I have works flawlessly. :confused:

I'm thinking it's the tube, and am going to call Para on Monday and see what's what. I was wondering if anyone here could point me to another solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a PO P18-9mm with factory 9mm mags. I also have a PO built into a 38 super IPSC gun with factory 38 super mags.

My 38 super does nosedive the bullets just as you said with the 38 super mags. Part of the problem is that once you stack 20 38 supers on top of each other, they start to point downward. This is due to the rim of the cartridge being a bigger diameter than the case itself. It causes the rear of the cartridge to stack higher than the front. Eventually, with enough bullets, it can become a problem. This is part of the reason so many go with the 9x23 or 38 super comp cases.

Why it is doing this with 9mm rounds may be the following.
Make sure your mags are clean inside and followers are not worn or sloppy fitting. Also make sure your springs have enough tension. Check to be sure the angle of the spring hasn't been compressed slightly on the front (feeding) side of the springs. This would let the follow sag in the front. I replace mine with stronger springs to ensure tension to overcome the nose dive tendency. It seems to help.

I don't have this problem with my 9mm round in the 9mm mags but 9mm cartridge rims are not like the super. I have also tried using my 9mm mags in my super and they do work. However, the super mags are not that reliable in the 9mm. Reason being the length of the feed lips on the 9mm are longer than on the super mags. This keeps the shorter 9mm round in the magazine longer and prevents it from jumping nose up too soon.

My experience with 9mm rounds in the super mag is the round nosig up too soon and hitting the top of the barrel, not the feed ramp.

If your gun will chamber a longer round, you could load your 9mm slightly longer. My P18 has the factory 9mm barrel and doesn't feed well with longer 9mm rounds. Your gun may be different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking I may be able to tweak the lips out a little bit in the front, they're about .018" narrower than the factory 9mm mag.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts