1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Para-USA pistol which I can't seem to find specific information on. It appears (by description) to be closest to the polished SSP model but it doesn't have "SSP" on the right side of the slide, just "38 Super". The cocking serrations are different than those pictured in the Blue Book for SSP. Any clarifications offered would be appreciated.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
parts gun perhaps. A nice one. When PO folded bunches of their parts abound. I think you may have one of those.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Definitely more recent (prior to 2015 frame) QR code noted. Para moved to wider slide serrations for most models and that retro look is different. I concur with Magnumite.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Your pistol is a bit of an enigma. The K in the serial number would indicate a 2013-15 date, if you use the info found in the stickie at the top of this subforum-- “How Old is my Para.” But then if you go to the gun database genitron.com you will find that Para made 2 models of 38 Super in the 2006-08 timeframe, assuming that genitron has all Para’s information.
The rear slide serrations are narrow and perfectly vertical which I associate with the earlier Para’s up to maybe 2000 (but my memory could be faulty). The two 38S pistols seen in the genitron.com website have wide and slanted slide serrations. The rear sight looks to be one of the “retro” varieties and the front is a fiberoptic. I don’t know when or if P-O used either or both—a google search might help find this info. My 1980’s-90’s Para’s had pretty standard military style sights, and I had real Novaks or Bomars put on them. The later ones had Novak or Bomar or LPA style “knock offs.”
The serial number is quite low on the frame—this looks “off” to me. Also, the quality and the placement of the Para/Charlotte NC stamp is subpar IMO. They went to Pineville, NC, sometime around 2009. Lastly, I don’t remember ever seeing what appears to be a stamping or code (??) on a Para--maybe it was done, I don't know.
Para used this style of trigger on some of their later models. The slide release looks correct for Para. I can’t comment on the rest of the small parts. The grips appear to be after market, but they look to be of good quality.
Does the barrel have a Para logo? Is the barrel (and frame) ramped or not?

As mentioned by Magnumite, this could be a parts gun from when Para folded, or even before. In a couple of my non-gun collections I’ve seen example of items that were cobbled together by employees—a part from this bin that was in the back of a warehouse, a part from another one in another warehouse, etc., etc. The company would never miss the individual items. Think of the old Johnny Cash song about building a Cadillac “One Piece at a Time.”

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For the replies. I attached a few pictures of the disassembled piece. Ramped barrel has no markings other than 38 SUPER. Build is tight, trigger is just under 4# and it cycles well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would say it's either a well built parts gun or possibly something built around the time Para closed up shop, possibly by an employee as a personal gun. I recently bought a Para Warthog frame to build on and it is marked like yours, K prefix serial number, QR Code and "Para USA Charlotte NC":
Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

The serial on this Warthog frame is 5,032 prior to your serial. Considering this frame is a leftover from when Para closed, the similar markings and serial range would lead me to believe it's either a parts gun or a one off employee build.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Or, it's an Elite like this:

Of course this is no longer in stock at the above link. But if you look, this matches your pistol above pretty much spot on. So I'm guessing a later 2013-2015 production Elite in 38 Super is what you have.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Lowlander hit a grand slam home run with the link to cheaperthandirt. He identified your pistol. In essence, I was way off the mark with my earlier conjectures.
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or, it's an Elite like this:

Of course this is no longer in stock at the above link. But if you look, this matches your pistol above pretty much spot on. So I'm guessing a later 2013-2015 production Elite in 38 Super is what you have.
That certainly matches the one I have. Thanks Lowlander! Interesting that BlueBook doesn't list that variation in their Para section. No mention (that I see) of a polished Elite in 38 Super. Thanks again for your responses.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nice job, LL! He found it alright.

I think Para was doing/building whatever they could around that time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts