1911Forum banner

Para Ord C7.45 FTF

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BobRowe 
#1 ·
When using Federal Hydra-Shok or Remington Golden Saber ammunition, my Para Companion C7.45 will not feed from a slide lock release. The shell drives straight ahead into the feed ramp. I then have to push the shell back toward the rear of the pistol (back into the magazine) in order to allow the magazine to release. The gun does this with both the factory magazine and a new Chip McCormick replacement magazine. The gun does not jam, however, when I rack the slide to chamber a round. Also, ball ammo doesn’t jam the gun (either from slide lock reload or loading by racking the slide). I wrote Para Ord, and they said this is normal behavior, but I don't agree. Any ideas on how to fix this?

#2 ·
I'm not a 'smith so I can't diagnose past the suggestion of stronger springs in the mags and making sure the feed ramp is smooth. I have polished the feed ramp and put in Wolff +10 mag springs. I have about 7,500 rounds through my C745 and while I usually shoot 230 FMJ, just to hold down the expense, I have fired a few hundred Hydra Shoks and Golden Saber and have never had a FTF. I carry concealed with one or the other of these rounds and make it a practice to fire at least a couple of mags whenever I fire it. I agree that this is not "normal." The C745 is a personal defense weapon, not a target shooter, in my opinion, and it MUST handle quality personal defense rounds.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I did some more testing. I used 8rnd and 10 rd Chip McCormick power mags and got the same results (so I doubt that stronger mag springs would help). It only happens when loading by releasing the slide lock. If I rack the slide by hand, it alway feeds correctly. I have a feeling that polishing the feed ramp may help. I also wonder if a stronger recoil spring would help (does anyone know a good replacement spring - I didn't see the C7.45 listed on Wolff's website).

BTW - mmay1 - will your gun load Hydra-Shoks and Golden Sabers from a slide lock release reload?

Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
While my C7 doesn't have that prob w hydrashoks it bears repeating to state the function of the doo-dad in question. That gizmo-- the slidestop, (not slide release) is not intended to chamber the round. the proper way to feed is to pull the slide to the rear with the fingers, whether the slide stop is engaged or not. Having said that I violate those instructions every chance I get, but I must confess that the few times I rack a round "properly" the seating feels MUCH smoother.

#6 ·
Pulpsmack - Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your clarification of the part name of "slide stop". however I was refering to the act of a "slide-lock" reload (such as specified in the IDPA rule book). I agree with you that it is normally not best to load the first round from the slide-lock condition. However, I would like to know that, if I am in a fight and I shoot my pistol to a slide-lock, it will reliably load the first round from the fresh magazine by releasing the slide stop. My Dan Wesson Patriot has no problem in loading Hydra-Shoks or Golden Sabers from a slide-lock postion, and I would think that my Para-Ord shouldn't either (am I wrong?). I am fairly new to 1911's, and would appreciate any help or correction that any of you "old timers" could offer.

#7 ·
DWPatriot,

I sense that you & pulpsmack are not on the same wavelength yet. You keep asking if his C7 will load hyra-shoks from a "slide lock", and pulpsmack is talking about the two different methods of releasing the slide from lock-back. He (correctly) indicated the method commonly called "slingshotting" is the proper way to release the slide from lock-back, NOT pressing down on the slideSTOP to release the slide.

You need to let us know if your C7 will feed hydra-shoks from a slide-lock position by using the "slingshot" technique. I have inferred from you posts that the hydra-shoks will not feed by releasing the slide by pressing down on the slide stop.

I hope this clarifies the question a little, and, if not, I apologize for butting in.

Good shooting to all,

Rod.

#8 ·
Rod,

Good Butting IMO.

As I mentioned my C7 will chamber Hydrashocks when employing the "politically incorrect" method of pressing the slide release. What should first be determined is if the same FTF probs occur when properly chambering the round (via the slingshot method).

#9 ·
Rod - thanks for "butting in" and Pulpsmack - thanks for continuing to help.

Sorry for being unclear - here is what my C7 is doing:

1. Will load ball ammo in all conditions
2. Will load HS and GS ammo by starting with slide down, inserting magazine - manually racking slide.
3. Will sometimes (not always) load HS and GS ammo using the slingshot method
4. Will NOT load HS and GS ammo when releasing the slide using the slide stop after the slide has locked back

I realize that the slingshot method is the preferred reload method, but in shooting both IDPA and IPSC matches, I have yet to see anyone use this method when reloading from slide lock. Are they wrong? I have never had a FTF with my (tight) match gun using the non-slingshot method. Shouldn't I expect my (not as tight) self defense gun to be at least as reliable as my match gun? Thanks again for everyone's help!

#10 ·
DWPatriot,

Thanks for the additional info. That clears up everything for me, at least as far as understanding what the problem is. Unfortunately, I have no idea of how to "fix" this problem.

Like you, when shooting IDPA & other action pistol requiring speed reloads, I use the "press down the slidestop" method. Many shooters do. However, I have been "instructed" in the current "correct" way to release the slide. It will be hard to describe in words, but I'll give it a try.

Here's the situation: you've dropped the first mag, and inserted the "reload", and the slide is locked open. Your "weak hand" after slamming the new mag home then slides right up to the top of the slide and with an "overhand" grip, grabs the slide (basically on top of the front sight) and forces the slide rearward, releasing the slidestop. It's done is one quick, fluid motion. I'm not exactly sure of the benefit of this method, versus thumbing the slidestop, but I'm told all the "big boys" of speed shooting do it this way.

Good luck & good shooting. :)

Rod.

#11 ·
Three benefits I can think of are:
1. No need to shift your grip to release the slide lock. Not everybody can reach it easily without shifting their hand.
2. That little extra slide travel adds that much more force to feed the round.
3. The slide is a lot easier to find with your off hand than the slide stop is to find with your thumb.

#12 ·
If the slingshot method is not 100% then there's a definite prob.

Quick fixes:

#1. Replace the recoil spring (extra force from a fresh spring might be all you need)

#2. polish the hell out of the feed ramp (less resistence, easier feeds)

No dice there... send it back to Para.

To answer your other question, IDPA etc shooters are "technically" handling their weapons improperly, considering the implied function of the slidestop. What does that really mean though? The M-16 was not designed for use of the dirty ball powder, which the gov imposed anyway. a few adjustments here & there & it ran just fine on the dirty stuff. Furthermore, it is the expectation of most shooters that the feeding of the weapon is smooth enough to allow for slide release feeding. Given proper conditions & maintenance, a tuned 1911 should have no problem accomplishing this.

#13 ·
I have had numerous shooters explain to me why, when loading the first round from a slide-lock position, one should use the slingshot method, rather than the press-down-the-slide-stop method.

One reason is mechanical. Using the slingshot method will reduce wear on the slide stop. The other method causes the slide stop to be moved against the cutout in the slide under the pressure of the recoil spring, thus accelerating wear.

The other, more important, reason is tactical. In the heat of battle, one's fine motor coordination deteriorates. Finding and pressing the small portion of the slide stop is much more of a fine motor activity than grabbing the top of the slide and yanking it rearward. The latter is more of a gross motor activity.

But, like a lot of other folks, I often use the press-the-slide-stop method during a match. It works fine with 100% reliability with my Kimber Gold Match and my Kimber Custom Compact, but not with my Para Companion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.