1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question. I have a Para Ord P-12.45 standard and find the thumb safety is much better than the one on my Government model clone. The one on the Government model is the old style military type safety where the tab for the thumb does not extend across the entire safety, wheras the Para one does and just feels better.

Anyone know if I can just order a thumb safety from Para Ord and drop it in on my Government model? Or (probably) do I need to get the safety from somewhere else and if so, where.

I'm looking for the same style as the Para so my Thumb always goes to the same spot and engages/disengages the safety in the same way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know that it takes some filing and fitting to get a standard thumb safety to work in a Para. So, the Para safety may not work in a Government model.

Take the safety out of the Para and try installing it in the Government model to see if it works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bart! Been to the Capital City Rifle Club range lately (its still a bit cold for me)?

I took a look at McCormick's web site and it seems all they have are extended safeties.

I want a safety that doesn't extend yet covers the whole of the safety piece (like on the standard para)looks kinda like the one on this Colt Commander (I can't find a decent pic of the Para safety on the web): http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2a3_m1991a1commander.html , not a small part like the original military ones.

Who knows, I may be asking for too much

·
Registered
129 Posts
Para thumb safety is not compatable with Colt 1911 or clones because it has to be deep enough for the double stack width grip. Otherwise all parts are compatible except trigger (same reason) and the hammer and sear which can be swapped back and forth but only as a pair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, the para thumb safety,in the single action version,is identical to the 1911 style guns.They should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Stop over and look at a McCormick. It's only slightly extended and similar to what you describe. I have other brands on guns, too. We can just pop one off and see if it functions.

I was shooting today-600 rounds. It was a nice warm, sunny day, 33 degrees.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
kendalaa:
A stock thumb safety from a Colt 1991 of other 70/80 series Gov't model with work fine. Just be sure to function check in your pistol before trusting it.

------------------
Make It Hot!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys, I'll have switch the safeties and see if it works or just find out where I can order one of those Colt ones.

Bart, I'll probably go to the range this Sunday, weather permitting so maybe I'll be able to check out your McCormick safteties then.

Should be fun to get a chance to shake off the rust from hibernating this long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, I screwed up badly in my post above. The Para slide safety is identical to the Colt, but some fitting is required. All Para parts are interchangeable except trigger and mag release. Barrel, of course, is ramped but can be used in Colt if the frame ramp is milled away first. Hammer and sear should be shanges as a pair if switching from Para to Colt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts