1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Taking price out of the decision;

Which handgun would you purchase for IPSC/Target Competition puposes & why???

Para Ordnance P14-45 Limited (stainless)

OR

Kimber Custom .45 (stainless)

Thanks,
Pitbull

·
Registered
412 Posts
Neither for IPSC. Go for a Para P16-40 Limited. You can go with hicaps 20 rounds with Dawson's basepads or shoot it in Limited 10. 40's are easier to shoot even at the same powerfactor. Even shooting in Limited 10, I would still stick with a double stack because it's easier to make mag changes when you have a nice big magwell.

But if price is not a factor, go with a custom SVI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scooter, should have also mentioned to remember that here in Canada, we can only have 10 round mags.

Pitbull

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Kimber or if you can afford the extra $$, an STI Trojan single stack or an STI/SV limited gun. You can shoot Limited 10 with a single stack and not suffer any significant disadvantage due to mag capacity. Though Scooter is right that a wide body will reload easier. People can reload a single stack real fast if they want to learn though.

A Para will not hold up under heavy IPSC use without replacing literally most of the parts.

I had a Para, have Kimbers and STIs and the while the Para served the purpose to get me to a B card, parts failures were frequent. About 8 regular shooters in my club also bought P16s and P16 Limited and had similar experiences, some worse - some better, but in the 6 or so years I've been active in IPSC, Paras seem to break at a rate far higher than other guns.

·
Registered
412 Posts
BTW, with my Para, many parts were replaced when it was new. I installed a S&A magwell, and all the trigger parts were replaced with Ed Brown parts (sear, hammer, disconnect, safety). The stock parts are really badly made.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The stock parts are really badly made.>>>>>>>

That has been my experience with my Para P-13 and I'm still not happy with it.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I'll go with STI, too. My experience is limited to but one pistol from them, but other than the thin stocks, which I changed, I cannot complain about the gun.

My gun's the 6" STI Trojan and it's in 9mm.
It's got close to 900 rnds through it right now with zero problems in terms of feeding or accuracy. It groups as well as my SIG P210. Magazines drop free and the trigger was good and got better after being fired.

While 900 rnds or so is not much, I've checked the gun for undue wear and there is none; not surprised.

The pistols are well made and for the slightly higher costs, worth it in my view.

Best.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Pitbull,

I have a Para P16.40 Limited, and am looking at a Kimber Custom Target right now.

For me the main deciding factor would be how comfortable you are with the double stack Para grip. I don't mind it, but there's no question that the single stack is way more comfortable for me.

FWIW I plan on doing some IPSC with it. As you might know, you can use an extended 10 rounds mag for IPSC in Canada. We don't measure with the mags in the gun.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by col132:
Kimber, still don't like Para magazines.
Para mags work fine...

After a couple hours of work and replacing the factory springs and followers. Para mags generally have a pretty nasty weld seam running up the inside. It has to be filed down and polished. Getting the tubes nickel or hard chrome plated helps too.

...more time, more money.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by Pitbull:
A couple of people are saying STI's.

No problem, as long as you guys will pay half.
I don't know what STIs cost in CA, but an STI single stack lists for $970 and actually sells for less. After two seasons of shooting, I assure you, you will have more money invested in a Para.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
STI's in Canada???

Well, you can take whatever you would pay for one in the USA, and then add another 60% on top for canadian prices.

Pitbull

·
Registered
412 Posts
No STI's in California wither, not until the Edge gets approved. SVI's are actually better.

Para mags supposely work BETTER with stock follower and springs. That's what Dawson Precision has been saying all along. Even though they sell Arredondo followers and springs, from their experience, the most reliable set up with their extended basepads is to use stock followers and springs. They build the guns for Todd Jarrett, so they know what they are doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts