1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the local gun store this weekend, maybe looking to purchase Para's sx1245s Limited with the Novak Adjustable Sights. Priced around $850 + Tax. There I met two LEOs who were also shopping around and offered their opinion. These guys said they go to competition shoots all the time and both cary Kimbers for Off-Duty. They told me Para uses soft metal and guns seem to have more problems than other 1911's in that price range. They recommended S&W or Kimber if looking around for that price. Personally this is the first time i heard something negative about Para products. Can anyone elaborate...??? Thanx for any advice
 

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
Joined
·
22,393 Posts
I think Para, in competition circles, has a reputation as an entry-level pistol. They are not bad quality, just not as good as the custom-built STI and SVI guns that thoroughly dominate competition. Of course, you would expect a $2000 pistol to be better than one costing $850, wouldn't you?
I've never heard Paras described as "soft", but they are made almost entirely from cast parts, and even when good enough, cast parts still suffer a certain stigma, from the days when casting technology was not as advanced as it is today. If it wasn't made from cast parts, it couldn't be brought to market for $850.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
410 Posts
My Para OPS is the on 1911 I have ever owned that was 100% reliable with any load I have tried in it. The machined slide does seem to get minor scratches easy, but it has been perfect so far. I don't plan to mod it, and bought it new, so if anything ever goes wrong, I am shipping it back to them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
That's a bunch of crap! All of my 1911's are Para Ordnance pistols.
They're stainless modes and alloy models...older models and newer models...Government size right down to my tiny little Nite Hawg which is my daily CCW cary piece. I fire all of my guns on a weekly basis and I've never had a problem with any of them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
My advice is to disregard their advice. :) Para uses investment casting... it's plenty strong and I am confident in their metallurgy. I have a P12 I recently got and it's a marvelous weapon. I have a P14 I have had for 12+ years and carried/shot the crap out of it. Neither have let me down and are my first choices for emergencies. I consider Para as good as Sig, HK and Glock if that tells you anything.

I do find great entertainment though in a couple guys who shoot Kimbers putting down Paras!! :biglaugh: If one has a reputation for problems and failing, I'd say it's Kimber hands down. Both use MIM parts for things like the safety, ejector, slide stop, etc. Oh and IMHO Para has the best extractor (a common weak point in the 1911) in the 1911 business. Kimber on the other hand had issues with their new external extractor (same kind used on S&W 1911s).

Only way to be sure is do your own research, but I'd rate any Para over any Kimber anyday. This is just me, but the only box stock 1911 I trust as much as a Para is a Springfield.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,923 Posts
RoboE2

What a load of horse feathers! Next time you run into those two bosos ask them if their Kimbers are cast or forged! I hav an SSP and it has never shown any signs or "soft" metal. Comments like that are almost laughable. Paras make great guns and for the price are even better buys. I decked out Para for IPSC competition will do just as well as an STI or any other Comp gun and will cost just as much. Check with Bob Hunter of Hunter Customs. He posts here and ask him what he thinks of Paras.

Stay Safe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
robertbank said:
What a load of horse feathers! Next time you run into those two bosos ask them if their Kimbers are cast or forged! I hav an SSP and it has never shown any signs or "soft" metal. Comments like that are almost laughable. Paras make great guns and for the price are even better buys. I decked out Para for IPSC competition will do just as well as an STI or any other Comp gun and will cost just as much. Check with Bob Hunter of Hunter Customs. He posts here and ask him what he thinks of Paras.

Stay Safe


Here's what I think of Para's, I've milled on them, drilled on them, built I don't know how many custom guns on them, competed with them in some of the worst elements and conditions I can think of, I've did caliber conversions, built switch top guns out of them, built defense guns out them, put them through some of the toughest stress you can put a handgun through and never once worried about Para's being soft and not getting the job done.

The last American Handgunner World Shootoff I competed in I went through a little over 2300 rounds in four days of some of the toughest conditions I've ever had the pleasure to shoot in and my Para never failed me. If you ever get a chance to shoot in the high desert country of Colorado you will understand what I'm talking about, sand and heat Para takes it in stride.

I still have the para frame from the first All Sport Forty racegun I built ( as a matter of fact it's another racegun now) and that frame is way past the 100,000 round count with no problems at all. (All Sport Forty pin load making a 210 power factor, this translates to a 135 gr JHP bullet moving 1560 fps loaded in 40 S&W brass, these babies are hot).

I would not be to concerned with Para's being soft, shoot them and enjoy them.

I can guarantee you the gentleman that had me build the gun in the picture would not have wasted his money on a softie.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,178 Posts
My_Name said:
Kimber on the other hand had issues with their new external extractor (same kind used on S&W 1911s).
Absolutely false. The 2 extractor designs have nothing in common. S&W's works.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I think if Bob Hunter uses them as a base pistol, you can bet they're up to par quality wise. Every gun he builds, his reputation is going to be on the line. If Paras were that bad, then I doubt he would use them. People pay top dollar for custom guns and they expect to get their money's worth. I have 3 Paras and have found them to be good guns.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,499 Posts
Sorry this is off topic but just a yes or no question

Hunter Customs said:


Here's what I think of Para's, I've milled on them, drilled on them, built I don't know how many custom guns on them, competed with them in some of the worst elements and conditions I can think of, I've did caliber conversions, built switch top guns out of them, built defense guns out them, put them through some of the toughest stress you can put a handgun through and never once worried about Para's being soft and not getting the job done.

The last American Handgunner World Shootoff I competed in I went through a little over 2300 rounds in four days of some of the toughest conditions I've ever had the pleasure to shoot in and my Para never failed me. If you ever get a chance to shoot in the high desert country of Colorado you will understand what I'm talking about, sand and heat Para takes it in stride.

I still have the para frame from the first All Sport Forty racegun I built ( as a matter of fact it's another racegun now) and that frame is way past the 100,000 round count with no problems at all. (All Sport Forty pin load making a 210 power factor, this translates to a 135 gr JHP bullet moving 1560 fps loaded in 40 S&W brass, these babies are hot).

I would not be to concerned with Para's being soft, shoot them and enjoy them.

I can guarantee you the gentleman that had me build the gun in the picture would not have wasted his money on a softie.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Hi Bob. I note the Docter sight. Just from what I've read, I believe they are superior to the Optima. Is it your opinion that they are superior as well? Just a yay or nay on this as I'm off topic.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,923 Posts
To suggest they are not is equally as wrong without testing them! The only thing "soft" about this suggestion that Para's cast frames and slides are soft are the heads that make the statement. What would be the percentage of any gun company producing a gun with "soft" frames and slides? Can't be cost. Just a dumb statement apparently made by two police officers who clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Stay Safe
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top