1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a 1911 type .45 for some time now, and after a lot of research, both on line and hands on, I think I've settled on a Para Ordnance P14 LTD as the pistol of choice. I've tried (and read about, on many forums) Kimber, Springfield, a nice BUL M5, Colt, and of course Para single and double stacks. Like the Para high capacity the best, starting simply because it fits my hand better, also very accurate, even for a rough shot like me. And the price seems good, I can get a LTD here for a little under $700 new. Sound right?

The limited appeals to me,over the standard, mostly for the adjustable sight, and (advertised)better parts--any comments on this? I have no plans to change anything, just want a solid, reliable pistol from the factory. I read about magazine catch/release being made of plastic on this forum, should I plan on upgrading that part (like that on the LTD)?

And where to find high-capacity magazines--do coupons still come for them with a new purchase, and/or are they still available from the factory? What manufacturers are reliable?

Finally, any observations on SA vs. DA? I like the feel and simplicity of single action, and don't intend to carry (although I may change my mind on that, in the future).

Any information, opinions, would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrads! I got one too! Awsome! Very Happy! The only thing I was'nt too happy with was the plastic magazine release, a part waitting to fail. Wonder why Para picked plastic?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Surfer:
The only thing I was'nt too happy with was the plastic magazine release, a part waitting to fail. Wonder why Para picked plastic?
It's a lot cheaper to replace a two-dollar mag release, then a fifty-dollar mag when they wear out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
It's a lot cheaper to replace a two-dollar mag release, then a fifty-dollar mag when they wear out.
Shane with all due respect, wear out a mag catch? would'nt you wear out the feed lips first?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Surfer:
Shane with all due respect, wear out a mag catch? would'nt you wear out the feed lips first?
Nope! Metal mag releases are sometimes very hard on mag bodies. I have seen several mags that have had the locking hole enlarged or rounded off because of the mag release. Generally, this will only happen if the mag release spring is too stiff (Colt's are bad for this), but it still happens.

Brownell's sells metal mag release replacements for the Para plastic piece, but Para's mags are rediculously expensive, and I would prefer not to keep replacing them!

As for the feedlips wearing out, that should not be an issue. You may wear out the plastic follower (where the slide stop contacts it), but you'd have to shoot an awful lot of rounds to wear out the feedlips.

·
Registered
76 Posts
plastic

plastic main spring housing, mag release, and trigger all of them need to be changed and the rear sights are not real bo mar sights and need to be changed as well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
See my reply to Justdavid on this page in reference to"any recent problems with paras?" I love my Para P-14 limited stainless, however, I replaced the hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector, mainspring, hammer strut, mainspring housing, and had a very competant gunsmith do the work. I also had it hard chromed, and sent the sights off to have tritium inserts installed.
Actually, I think factory guns of all sorts now days are just a crapshoot. My dad has a bone stock p-12 (not a limited) and it came out of the box with a decent trigger.(the main complaint about my P-14) I have also tried other factory Paras and found the triggers to be decent. Maybe I just got a lemon. Also, I think they still come with the coupons for spare mags. I have seen some pretty decent prices on para hicap mags now and then in the shotgun news, as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Burger

I changed the sear, hammer, sear spring, front sight (shot loose), barrel (excessive head space), mag release button (mag fell out during match), trigger on my )16-40. Also added a meg well. Now it has a 2.5 lb trigger.

So additional C$1200 later, I have a STI clone. and shoots very well.:confused:

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Mars, here's a thought. I looked at a pretty well made .45 Para yesterday at a local gun store (Bernie's in Lilburn, Ga.). I almost bought it. The way it is set up is kind of useless as it has a comp. The comp could be removed and the barrel shortened for next to nothing. Good replacement trigger and hammer with what feels to be a crisp sub 3 lb. pull. Nice magwell and checkered front strap. Not sure who built it or how it shoots. It was priced at $450. I think it could be bought for $400 or maybe less. If it had been a .40 I would have bought it. If you are interested I am certain they could email you some pictures.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get the Para Ltd. You CAN'T build a hi cap gun for that price anywhere. My P16 ltd runs great, all I did was change out trigger parts to get a 2.5# crisp pull. The trigger was about 5# stock. The sights are not bomar, they are better. Front sight is dovetailed, will not come loose. Plastic mag catch has worked great for 8k rds., but I replaced it anyway. You can buy a new Para and 5 hi caps for half of an STI with NO hi caps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts