1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,I was wondering if I may get some opinions.Iam looking at buying a couple of 1911's(looking at Para).Can anyone tell me about quality any negative or positive issues with Para Ordnance?I am trying to avoid spending $1700.00+ dollars on one Baer TRS versus 1700+ dollars on 2 to 3 Paras.Any help would be appreciative.Thanks In advance...I am sorry if these questions have been asked before.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
One vote for Mr. Baer.

Can't think of a thing to say negative about Para. I have never personally met anyone sorry they bought one. I would just rather have the Baer. They are two very different animals, though. Para has many features Baer does not choose to provide. If you are looking for a strictly "old school" 1911, then Baer would be the choice, I think and I don't think most Para owners would disagree (ducking now). If you are looking for features developed by Para such as DA trigger, double stack...you ain't comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hate to burst the bubble but I own a LDA CCW that has been back to the service center twice first time at 600 rds when the mag release broke, I know easy fix but they wanted to inspect it anyway, the second time at around 1000 rds when the new fangled extractor puked into the action. Both times cost me $60 to ship back to the factory, NOT REIMBERSED. The only reason I still have it is that I love the trigger and in the last 500 rds it has been perfect. It will not fire Wolf or S&B ammo but works fine with the Winchester rangers and White box practice ammo.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I presently have a Para SSP that has been flawless since new. Never missed a beat. Sold my son my Para P-14 (major mistake), loved that gun and it to never missed a beat. Very accurate, well made and reliable.

Now if all you are comparing is accuracy, reliability, durability and service reputation I have to go with Para. The Baer at $1,700 US maybe more accurate from a Ranson rest than the Para but I am not a Ranson rest and I doubt the Baer in my hands would be significantly more accurate than my Para. As far as reliability and durability well you either are or you are not and Para is and I am sure the Baer is as well. I'll never no because I am not about to spend that kind of money for something the Para can do for half the price. You also don't get a ramped barrel and the new power extractor in the Baer.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
40/60. One good experience with a 2003 Tac-Four. One very bad experience with a 2004 CCW.

·
Banned
410 Posts
In ~1995 I bought a new P16-40. It would not feed hollow points at all, and I sold it.

Recently I bought a OPS in .45 new. It digested well over 200 rounds yesterday, including a couple clips of Hydrashocks, flawlessly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Para Quality

Shooting a Para 18-9 and had a full set of the full size para's in 9 40 and 45....all worked perfectly all very good quality............I think they are good quality and a good price........nuff said. :rock:

You can pay more, or less for 1911 models by a number of makers......but Para's quality, service and products are right where they should be....wouldn't choose another that I can think of....

Right now, I am especially enjoying the LDA line.....

Paul

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really wanted to like the LDA's. Tried the C6, then the C7. Then the Tac-4 and finally the full-size model. None of these are realiable enough for me to trust my life to. Too bad, too sad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Para feedback

I, too, would like to hear about issues with those Para's. Just wanted to interject that my CCO works accurately and smoothly, as long as I don't use Para mags. McCormicks are just fine in it (whereas McCormicks cause failures to eject in my ultra-compact Springfield milspec). Go figure.

I've a slightly larger carry model of Para LDA, in which McCormicks won't work. It works only with the Para mag which came with it. Go figure again.

Both pistols are a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mag release broke. After replacing that the new style X Tractor puked into the action. I had fired nothing but winchester white box fmj and Ranger 230 hp's. Both of my magazines were junk, replaced with Chip McCormics. No problems in over 1000 rds since the extractor was replaced. But it still doesnt have enough energy behind the hammer to fire Wolf or S&B ammo. No big loss because of the price of the white box though. The pistol is a 2004 lda ccw. Plusses- Way more accurate than a carry gun needs to be, Great trigger, easily concealed, stainless,Safe to carry. Negatives- Some fragile parts, Ammo sensitive, crappy mags from the factory, polished sides marr to easily.

·
Registered
91 Posts
issue, but bought new back in 93-94

and didn't do my research, until 1991 they had been making nothing put paintball guns, so when i got my brand new p-12, the frame looked, looks, like a kid finished it with the shop grinder then bead blasted it, the barrel bushing blew out the first 60 rounds, sent the gun back, next the extractor wore out, replaced with a wilsons, then the barrel bushing blew out again, come to find out they knew about hte problem, the stainless steel bushings were not strong enough and you had to put a blued one on, well they told me this over the phone, but after send my gun in twice they sent it back with the stainless steel bushing, at the time my range had a smith, so i fired the gun, 20 rounds the bushing cracked, and had the smith put a kings barrel bushing kit, which VOIDED ALL PARA-ORDNANCE'S warrentys and service(since the frame and slide have been machined). Oh, and the clips spings wear out like wild fire.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I've had a Tac-Four (Commander-sized double stacker; P1345 in LDA) for about 18 months. I had a lot of problems with it early on, but if I'd been willing to ship it back immediately instead of screwing around with it, it would have been close to perfect.

Once I discovered the problem, George at Para helped fix it immediately.

I broke an extractor some months later. I don't know whether it was too-hot reloads or other issues, but George helped me there, too. Knock wood, it's fine now.

I think it's a given that Para double-stack pre-ban magazines need their springs replaced before they'll be reliable, and double-stackers in general may lack reliability, but I'm not having reliability issues anymore....

Just wish they weren't so expensive....

Regards,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great Experience with Two Paras

I have had great experience with both my Paras (16.40 HiCap .40 S&W) and LTC (.45 ACP/Commander style). FTF/FTE very, very rare and both are extremely accurate. Replace the Para mags though (although they are better factory mags than kimber's...blah!)

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
tcurtis said:
Alan,

What issues did you have? Were they related to the LDA trigger system or were there other problems?
The C6 will only feed FMJ and Cor-Bon ammo. Nothing else will even enter the chamber. The C7 is slightly better and will chamber other ammo but is not reliable with them. The tac-4 and p14 are the most reliable of the bunch but I have yet to get a full box through them without at least one malfunction. What I've notice is that it usually happens on the last round in the mag -- it will fail to feed correctly.

Any ideas? I really wanna like these guns.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Alan:

Last round FTF's are usually weak springs, but see my comments on the bad slide stop, too....

The Tac-Four turned reliable when I replaced the slide stop and magazine followers (that I'd destroyed), and pretty much dialed in with the Wolff springs in the magazines....

Some over-the-top reloads apparently broke the extractor, and the MSH retaining pin. George sent me a new extractor, but the damn thing keeps breaking that pin. I sent the gun to Para last Friday. Film at 11....

(You can shoot the thing anyway - this is one of those "fix it as soon as possible" failures that won't put the gun out of action, but I'd run out of local solutions. My gunsmith thought he had it, but apparently not....)

The P14 is nominally the same gun - longer grip and slightly larger mag. I would expect the same performance.

I can't speak for the little ones - there are issues with short barrels and 1911's in general, but I wouldn't think that they'd be that sensitive to ammunition. Maybe try hotter springs there, too.... The ramped barrel in my Tac-Four should (and generally does) feed about anything.

Single-stackers may be better with Tripp's mags, but about any "good" magazine ought to work. I'm starting to hear that the springs in Para single-stackers are a little light, too.

Regards,

·
Registered
81 Posts
para quality

I,ve owned a Para P14-45 for about 5 years now...I bought it from a friend who shot it competitivly for a number of years. When I purchased it i had to replace the barrel link and the extractor. Since then it has shot fine. ALL problems I have experienced have arisen from reloading my own ammunition ie rounds slightly too long, rounds under powered or not enough crimp. I will not buy .45 acp factory its too dear here[uk]. The Lee Factory crimp die has eliminated many problems.

The Para P14-.45 is a fine gun.....very accurate, good looking, high capacity and affordable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new Colonel, has about 700 rds of many diff types of ammo through it no FTF but I keep it really clean. the bake on finish is junk though get SS

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had a p14 ltd since 99 and a p12 since 01. The p 14 had a queer firing pin problem in the 1rst 15 rounds. Pulled it appart cleaned out the hole with compressed air. It has been 100% reliable for over 25000 rounds now.
The p12 had an ocasional ftf if the mags sat loaded for a long time. I changed the mag springs to wolf and have had no problems since. I am happy. Ony my glocks have been more trouble free.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts