1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've gotten into the 1911 thing pretty strong now, and like the idea of a wide body 1911. I remember shooting a Para at the range and liked the wide backstrap much better than the standard single stack frame. I understand Springfield also makes wide bodies and was curious as which is deemed a better pistol.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Banned
277 Posts
I have not fired a Springfield so take this FWIW.

Para is the original. They have invented, screwed up, improved, and innovated. Springfield is an infant. I might feel different if 4 different companies were playing with the same technology for decades such as in the case of "true" 1911s, but this just isn't the case. I would steer clear of SA entirely. Para has the bugs worked out and hands down the best magazines. Any probs? their customer service is second to NONE. Springfield cannot compete in terms of QA or reliability, nor will they be able to for some years after the 94 crime bill sunsets & they have a chance to develop & churn out NEW quality magazines.

·
Banned
277 Posts
SA accept Para mags, however it is illegal for SA to make full capacity mags for the public at this time. Therefore they can only use substandard contracted prebans & stamp their name on it. Moreover, my point is more germain to the weapon and its design. SA, like any other manufacturer will need years to get the weapon right, which will coincide (with luck & persistence) with the crime bill's sunset.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a single stack Para C7.45 LDA Companion and a Springfield single stack Ultra Compact. They're both Officers Model sized.

In my most humble opinion, there is no comparison in the quality of the two guns. The Springfield comes out ahead in fit, finish and overall quality. The Para slide rattles around on the rails while a gunsmith friend of mine said the Springfield "sounds like a Kimber" when you rack the slide.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I own a P14 and a Para Carry and I like them both. I have been a fan of Springfield for years. A Springfield was my first 1911 and I have 6 right now. If I could have just one, it would be a Springfield.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Of course the question is what do you plan to use this blaster for?

If you are a plinker than either will work fine.

Gaming: Either is fine. I shoot Para's but the SA's are equal.

Defense: Either again. Exterior finish means nothing in terms of reliability. Slide fit is more important for longer shots. Defensive shots are closer I believe. Personally I would choose niether for defense. 1911's are too quirky for my peace of mind.

Remember that SA and Para wide bodies are the bottom of the line for 1911's. There are lots of custom to semi-custom options that are much more pricey but are probably worth the money.

My .02

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
nemesis wrote:

"...gunsmith friend of mine said the Springfield "sounds like a Kimber" when you rack the slide."

Watch it, those Kimber guys will be comin' for ya! JK :biglaugh:

I had a Kimber GM Series I. Good gun. I liked it. Sold it. Bought a SA Trophy Match. Love it. Now I have two SA pistols. My first SA you won't be able to get away from me. The TM...well, you would have to try real hard to get it. Real hard.

Oh, I and have a PO LTD in 45 ACP. I like it also. Only hi-cap 1911 I own. Nice gun. Needed trigger work but that was all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a springer "wide body" . With exception to having some trigger work and extractor adjustment I have put 2500+ rounds thru it with no problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wilinaz said:
I have a springer "wide body" . With exception to having some trigger work and extractor adjustment I have put 2500+ rounds thru it with no problems.
Interesting that you treat trigger work & extractor adjustment on your Springfield as items that one should expect to have to deal with. I'm sure that the extractor adjustment was associated with failures to extract and/or feed. And I would agree that 1911s allow you the flexibility of getting them to work to your liking with regard to trigger pulls, shooting style etc... What I oftentimes find difficult to understand is why a company like Para is derided if its products, from time to time, require similar kinds of attention.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I smell smoke....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got tried both of them but the SA hi-cap still remains in possesion. I sold my para after 5-6thousand rounds because of a nasty CRACK on the frame(left side across the "slide safety pin" hole). :mad: That was when I was still in the Philippines(1996) and the dealer was asking $300+ to send it back here in the USA:barf: I traded it in for a a humble ARMSCOR HI-CAP .45 no problems Its still working today under the care of my brother. When I got here I tried my hand on SA because I know they are FORGED in Brazil:biglaugh:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I adjusted the extractor because of operator abuse. Dropped a round or two in the chamber and dropped the slide. I had the trigger work done for shooting steels at local club. I wanted a lighter trigger than the 5 1/2 out of the box trigger. Polished a few parts and took it down to 4. just a personal preference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts