1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don`t know about the rest of you but I have guns strategically placed around the house like a "smokepole" (12ga. pump) by the bed along with a .45 under the headboard and a Ruger P-89 hidden beside my recliner. These are the only ones loaded while the rest of my stash is tucked safely away in a gunsafe. What do you think, paranoid or ready ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My vote is ready. I don't think the Taliban will invade your home, but some thugs or punks might. I live in a small town, but I consider my house a high risk. I also have several loaded weapons, flashlights, and knifes around the house. We don't have any children, so the trigger locks are in a drawer.

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one gun within reach. I also have a real loud and somewhat large dog. People who own guns have no reason to be paranoid.
Hope this helps.
michael

·
Registered
260 Posts
Instead of sticking them all over the place, why not carry while home and put it on your nightstand at bedtime? This way , if you lock em up when you go out, you have a lot less work to do

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

[This message has been edited by shane45 (edited 11-13-2001).]

·
Administrator
72,052 Posts
I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of stashing guns anywhere but where I sleep at night, lest a burglar find it first and arm himself with my own weapon.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm with Shane45 and dsk. Don't like stashing them, especially if kids (anybody's) enter into the house. They'll find them faster than a burgurglar will.

Just keep it on 'til you go to bed, then turn on the alarm system (good dog, get bisquit). Heck, you can even play basketball with the kids with it on. Just don't hip-check, it'll bruise 'em.

·
Registered
67 Posts
IMO, it depends on your neighborhood or your
'situation' ...

In my case, that array would be closer to
the paranoid... ( thank goodness !!! )

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
A friend of mine worked tactical for the local PD. When they did their drug raids, they found it much easier to overcome those individuals who were not already holding a gun when the door burst open. The frantic movements of someone trying to fish out a gun from between seat cushions or getting to a table where a gun was available to use were essentially invitations to be put down quickly. While stashed guns may be close, few will be closer than one on your person.

Also, stashed guns do get found by burglars. If a burglar has an hour to turn your home, he will likely uncover some of those conveniently stashed guns in his attempt to find other valuables, so that can be bad. One of the sad facts is that people often hide items in similar locations and burglars (even kids) with a little experience figure those things out pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I am with Shane45 and the others.Just wear or carry your gun while at home.But I do not think stashing guns makes you paranoid

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of stashing guns anywhere but where I sleep at night, lest a burglar find it first and arm himself with my own weapon.
A friend of mine has pistols hidden around his house where a burglar probably wouldn't think to look. Strapped in some sort of holster under the coffee table, for example. I like the idea.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I recently overheard a conversation at a gun shop. The customer was telling the sales clerk that he has an 870 Marine Magnum on hooks in his shower....just in case. I think this would qualify as paranoid.

I feel safe in my neighborhood, so I don't have any stashed or loaded guns in the house. They are all locked up. I figure there is a better chance of someone breaking into my house when no one is home and stealing my guns, than someone breaking in and assaulting me. Crooks, for the most part, are cowards. They would prefer not to tangle and fight with angry homeowners. They want something they can easily steal and convert to cash. Guns fit this description nicely, so I lock them up.

·
Registered
809 Posts
No one can decide for you, for a while I lived in a neighborhood where the guy with the shotgun in the shower would NOT have been paranoid.

I don't like the idea of stashing myself. Unless you want to keep several identical guns in various places in the house and can be sure that no one will find them I think it is a liability. If the threat level is that high, I want a full size service sidearm, backup sidearm, reloads, flashlight and designer kevlar on my body 24/7! And only until the moving van gets here.

I keep one up and one downstairs ready to rock, both under "accessable" lock and key. BUT I also live in a town of 900, across the street from the city building and I know my neighbors.

If I were in a city of any size, I might consider carrying on my own property but I would not stash guns with the hope I would be in the right place to grab it if I needed it. Too iffy.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Home invasions are on the rise and the average burglar spends as little time in a residence as he possibly can. Most kick in a door or break a window and grab the valualbe articles that they can and run. Home invasions on the other hand don't care if you are at home because these aren't your run of the mill crack heads looking to finance their next high. These are professional thugs, who are after much more than a few articles to sell for a few crack rocks. All of my kids are in their mid to late teens and they have been raised around weapons all of their life and they know where our weapons are, in fact they have their own gun safes in their rooms. So I am not concerned with untrained hands getting hold of my weapons. So I keep a loaded AR-15 sitting in the living room by the desk in the corner, just in case...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would opt for carrying on my person while at home. I also have kids, and although they understand firearm safety, I can't be sure of their friends. I think most of us with minor kids would shy away from stashing guns, in my opinion.

·
Registered
989 Posts
All my guns are locked in my safe as I have a 8 year old around . Occasionally if I feel the need I might have a 1911 or glock with me , but it stays with me and never is laying around . If you feel the need for guns in the house my advise would be to holster carry at home or have 1 gun in a quick access gun box. Guns left under beds or in cushions are a bad idea in my opinion. If I hear a bump in the night I want a gun in my hand, not in the couch. Burglers get way too many guns as it is, don't leave guns all over your house for them to find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts