1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Norinco which I may have parkerized. It has Heine Slant-Pro sights installed in dove tails. If I have it parkerized, would it be necessary to remove the sights from the slide? I know that parkerization does not stick to stainless steel, and although I do not think the sights are stainless steel, they do have some sort of finish or coating, and I wonder if this would keep the parkerizing from sticking.
Second question, assuming parkerizin will indeed stick to the sights, should I have the "whole" pistol park'd, or just the slide, frame, and small parts?

· Registered
695 Posts
Yes, the sights will have to be taken off. I'd be very surprised if the refinisher gave you an option of leaving the sights on. I've had 4 guns refinished (by Falcon Gun Finishing), one of which was park'd. It had to be completely dissasembled in order to get completely degreased before going into the acid bath.

Not sure what you mean by "should I have the "whole" pistol park'd, or just the slide, frame, and small parts?". The slide, frame, and small parts are essentially the "whole" pistol. ;) I wouldn't bother having the barrel park'd, but that's me.

· Banned
1,472 Posts
Does that apply to staked-on front sights?

I assume not, but it sounds like you're saying that staked-on sights would need to be removed.

Which is problematical, since you would then need a new sight...

· Registered
5,165 Posts
You need to ask the finisher questions like this.

Everyone has their own preferences for refinishing, and only the man doing the work can tell you what MUST come off, and what's BETTER to take off.

I seriously doubt you'd need to remove any standard front sight.

· Registered
66 Posts
I do my own parkerizing and just parked a Kimber. I didnt remove the sights, just did a thorough degreasing and it came out just fine.
The finish or coating on the sights shouldnt be a factor because everything being parked has to be sand/bead blasted beforehand to remove any remaining finish and rough the surface for the park to stick to.
That being said, it would be best to talk to whoever is going to do it for their answer, since its their job. If its a 'smith thats gonna do it, if they do want them removed they will probably do that themselves.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
A staked in front sight shouldnt be removed, however a large fixed rear sight like the Hiene should, since there is no doubt oil under there that can screw up the finished work. Cleanliness counts in parkerizing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.