1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope my gunsmith doesn't see this post. I have a beautiful customized ww2 repro colt that was clocking in the extractor. I decided to fix it myself. I fit an oversized EGW fps and took a little off the side of the extractor that rubbed the hammer, glass bead blasted the parts , re assembled and test fired the gun. PERFACT no more brass in the face. Now all I needed to do was re parkerize the extractor and fps. I could have sent it to the origional refinisher who said he would do it "no problem" , but no, I decided to do it myself. Here is where all &$#%^ broke loose. THE PARTS SHRUNK:bawling: What happened

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was from a kit I bought that recommended a 2oz sol to 1 gal h20. Heated to 200 degrees. I 1/4 the mixture, and did it for 7 min the first time then repeated it after redegreasing for 15 min the second time. The instrutions said (5 - 45 min)The parts fit tight after the glass blasting and after the first application. The reason I did it the second time is because it flaked off the first time. I thought I degreased it well. I used break cleaner first then boiled the parts twice in the degreaser solution that came with the kit prior to each application ,which also mixed with h20.
I was thinking that maybe the solution got concentrated by evaporation. Or it was an acid based pseudo parkerizing kit.
The strange thing to me is that the parts still have very sharp corners as would be expected on an extractor and fps but they have lost all tolerance.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
That's interesting and a true learning experience when you do things yourself. If the solution "ate" away at the parts, I would have assumed it would have worked on the whole part since it was submerged in the solution. I've never heard of a park'd finish flaking off myself, so I'd be concerned about the solution or maybe the choice of blasting material.

I suppose you can bite the bullet and buy some new parts and then decide if you want to try park'ing them yourself again, or having someone else do it.

If you're looking for a little sarcasm, I guess this is just one more of those instances that proves out the 1911forum motto and goes to show that having work done by a professional gunsmith is really the best and cheapest (long term) proposition. Pay the money to have the job done right the first time and avoid having to pay to do it yourself, and then again to pay someone else to fix things. :eek::):confused::bawling::barf::rock::biglaugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See what cabin fever can do to a man. It's been -15 here in Montana all week.:confused: I almost turned a fullsize 5 inch into a sloppy compact by trying to home parkerize. I will refit new parts and try again. Of course with a different brand of solution from a known source. I spoke to palmetto parkerizing and they are trying to retire.. Too bad because the owner is a great guy. He is sending me some of his REAL parkerizing solution that should if anything slightly increase tolerances, Though he said it won't change any dementions.
I also got a hint on how to get a greenish tint to fresh parkerizing though I haven't tried it yet. ( 50/50 mix of hunter green oil based paint, small tube like an artist would use, and vasaline) coat degreased parts and let sit for a while.
How long ? I'll send pictures once I try it.

Thanks guys for your input. I'm over the initial shock. My guess is that it was an acid based solution which it's my understanding that parkerizing is a base? " live and learn , do your research, do small replaceable parts first"
Floyd

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
folyd,
I've had bad luck parking EGW or Caspian firing pin stops and McCormick mag catches. I'm using the Manganese Phosphate stuff from Palmetto.
All 3 items will 'fizz' for a prolonged amount of time. Long or short soak, the park will then rub off.
Nope, I don't know why.
:confused:

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
kevins_garage,

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am hoping to see Act II of your routine soon.

Have a good weekend!
:)

Just can't seem to catch a break, can I? Go against the flow and get my hand slapped. Go with the flow and still get chastised. Which way is the wind blowing today? :)

Ummmmm, popcorn.

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
International Federation of Idiots?
And proud of it??
I'm so very happy I have other talents to brag about.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
International Federation of Idiots?
And proud of it??
I'm so very happy I have other talents to brag about.
What do you want me to do Chuck? :confused: :(

If I can't be proud of who I am, who will be proud of me? :confused: :bawling:

Am I wrong to suggest that someone do something for themselves or to consider other alternatives, or would you prefer that I walk the line and suggest simply leaving things to the professionals? Pick one and I promise I won't stray. I'm putting it all in your hands now. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chuck ,you are the smith that I was going to send the parts to. You did the finish on the gun the first time. Was that palmetto? Best parkerized finish I'd ever seen.I have some on the way. You told me last week to send you the parts and you would park them and send them back. That would have been too easy and I'd start think life was fair. Does that offer still stand?::confused: I was going to try it one more time. (I did order 2 of each part just in case)
I am going to pour the old parkerizing solution on a tree stump and see if it will eat it out of the ground.
How long and at what temp do you use palmetto parkerizing. I was told to mix it 10% ratio. I'm using ed brown and wilson parts.
( I do want to make it clear that I WAS NOT USING PALMETTO PARKERIZING when my parts shrunk)

·
Registered
670 Posts
folyd,

Can I ask what you were using

I have used the Shooter's Solution formula with great sucess. That is is if you can read his instructions...He really needs to pay someone to proof read his stuff...Website too, actually, but I digress...:)

It was my understanding that parkerizing did remove a small amount of the surface material and then replace it with the maganese phosphate. I have used it on complete firearms and found no discernable difference in size afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wes I sent you an email with the company name. I have since read several complaints. Several other parkerizing companys have heard of this company as well, and told that it is not a true parkerizing. It is thought that it is a sulfuriac acid with manganase in suspension.
I will only use products tried on this forum from now on.
I hope my liver doesnt fall out. Needless to say, I am very unsatified with this company.
Floyd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts