1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was walking thorugh a parking lot on a hot day and saw a small child in a car with the windows up. The child is obviusly hot. If I bust the windows out to get to the kid and wait for the parents or take him inside and call the police, how much trouble am I about to be in?

------------------
Today is the first day of the end.

Have you hugged your loved ones today?

·
Registered
356 Posts
You might have a problem if you break the glass unless it is apparent the child is in great distress. I personally would call the Police and let them deal with it. However I would stand by in case it became life threatening. That way you present yourself as a witness. Here in Texas it is illigal and a citation or arrest can be made for leaving a child unattended in a vehicle under a certain age.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting in trouble. Standing by and waiting for the police may be just enough time for the child to go unconscious. From that point the onset of brain damage and death can rapidly follow.

There are idiot stick officers out there but I can’t really imagine one citing you for vandalism. Vandalism requires a specific intent to damage and rescue does not fit that definition.

Now if you are cited simply say, “thank you officer.” Go your way, appear in court and make everyone look like a complete and total ass when you give your side of the story. Oh, and by the way, don’t forget to invite the press; they just love these kinds of stories to embarrass the police for stupid moves.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Yes, definitely call 911, then I'd break the glass - you would regret it the rest of your life if that child died while an ambulance/police were on route.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
None, if I'm on the call brother. The parents, however, will have to deal with D.H.S. to get their children back,, because I will place them in protective custody and file abuse charges on the parents.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You wouldn't believe how many 'parents' FORGET about having babies(especially newborns), and leave them UNATTENDED in their vehicles while they go shop or whatever....

·
Registered
51 Posts
BERGER said:
None, if I'm on the call brother. The parents, however, will have to deal with D.H.S. to get their children back,, because I will place them in protective custody and file abuse charges on the parents.
Great call, Berger! I was just in such a discussion with another cop, and he said the same thing. We had some idiot try to go in to work a few months ago, and leave a toddler in the car seat. A person that I work with saw him do it. He was reported to the security guards before he made it into the plant. We also keep cops around, as power generating plants need a little more security now days. It was about 6 o'clock am, and they were good enough to let him unlock the car, which is certainly more than I would have done if it had been my call. Best -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Uggggh!

One of my hugest pet peeves. These people should be shot!

I always look forward to putting my ASP through the first windshield of spring.

People who leave dogs in cars are bad enough, but little kids... come on people!

That's right BERGER! Go get your damn kids back from Child Family Services, because I'm filing Endangement charges on your ass!

Had one lady (nanny actually) leave a kid in the car last summer while she was in the BAR(!) for "just a minute". Well witness accounts of more like 45. She was playing video poker and having a drink you see.

Parents of child were not thrilled about nanny or their nice new Volvo with the broken out glass.

In my town, break the damn glass. No beef from me or the rest of the boys around here.

Stay safe -

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It's called endangering the welfare of a child in my state and if you busted the glass out, I could care less and the stupid parent would be arrested and the vehicle towed away and impounded. I would fill out and incident report on the child welfare endangerment and I would call Central Dispatch for a 10-51 (wrecker) and have them notify Dept of Human Resources to come pick up the child at the PD. When the moron parent returned, they would be arrested, cuffed and transported to the County Jail.

7th

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Bust the Glass (carefully!)

..... and save the child... . Where I'm at they'd never prosecute you for breaking that window, as long as you genuinely feared for the safety of that child and were acting 'in good faith'.

Regards, NAA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definetly break the glass if the outside temp is above 85 degrees. The temperature in the car can rise to over 140 degrees. Children don't have efficient compensatory mechanisms to deal with overheating. They can decompensate rapidly and then it may be to late to make an effective rescue.

I would much rather explain my actions in regards to breaking out a window, than have to testify at a negligent homicide trial against the parents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't care, this would be "MY" judgment call, and "I" will live with it...................

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have busted the glass out of several vehicles with children in them in the past. As an MP on Fort Hood from 86-89 it was SOP to bust the glass as soon as a child was seen in a vehicle and if the doors were locked. It was not even left to the officers to make the decision. And I would doubt that if there was any kind of heat you would be found at fault. But anyone can sue for any reason. But if it was I, no problem. Glass busted and deal with what ever happens.

5 years ago at work we had a lady who's husband was in a hurry to get to work, dropped her off and then he went to work and forgot to drop off the 6 month old off at the day care center. He went straight to work himself. He got off work, Went and picked up the wife and when she approached the vehicle she noticed how red faced her child was and asked her husband if the baby had been crying. He told her to stop joking and that he had not picked the baby up yet. He at that point realized he had never dropped the child off. It was of course way to late. Later investigations turned up that several people had noticed that the baby was left in the car alone and several people thought it was strange, but no one did a damn thing. The answer most stated was "I figured the parents would be back soon. "

It is of course your call, but for me, I am going to knock out the glass, then call 911 and deal with what ever happens.

Stacey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts