1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting the Wilson bulletproof (and getting the right side trimmed or cut) since it's supposed to be the strongest ambi on the market. I keep reading of Kimber ambis breaking and this worries me for CCW.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting the Wilson bulletproof (and getting the right side trimmed or cut) since it's supposed to be the strongest ambi on the market. I keep reading of Kimber ambis breaking and this worries me for CCW.
A lot of people run the Kimbers for years without a problem. I think to break one you would have to hold one side down and push the other side up, or vice-versa.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
A lot of people actually delete existing ambi safeties for concealed carry, rather than have them hanging out there where they can get bumped off. Personal preference, I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of people run the Kimbers for years without a problem. I think to break one you would have to hold one side down and push the other side up, or vice-versa.
Good to know, all of those threads were very old so maybe those who broke them were small isolated incidents.

A lot of people actually delete existing ambi safeties for concealed carry, rather than have them hanging out there where they can get bumped off. Personal preference, I guess.
I would love to delete the safety on the left side but the design of the gun requires the left side to be there right?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I would love to delete the safety on the left side but the design of the gun requires the left side to be there right?
Yes, the actual safety part and the spring/plunger detent is on the left.

I've installed a few of their ambi safety's, they are MIM and very brittle, the last one I got was crooked (the pivot pin) and snapped when I tried to straighten it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the actual safety part and the spring/plunger detent is on the left.

I've installed a few of their ambi safety's, they are MIM and very brittle, the last one I got was crooked (the pivot pin) and snapped when I tried to straighten it.
Hmmm, the more I think about it I am leaning towards the WC bulletproof since I've yet to hear of one of those breaking. The extra $50-$70 might be worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up going with the WC bulletproof. They are going to cut it and refinish it for me to fit the Crimson Trace. Excellent customer service by the way.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a Wilson on my TLE/RL II. It works great and is a stronger design. You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Got rid of the ambi safety on my Warrior. I noticed I would accidentally bump it off when carrying it. The weak side of the safety was grooved and it rode on the hammer pin which was extended to accommodate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Wilson on my TLE/RL II. It works great and is a stronger design. You won't be disappointed
Great to hear, looking forward to getting it.

Got rid of the ambi safety on my Warrior. I noticed I would accidentally bump it off when carrying it. The weak side of the safety was grooved and it rode on the hammer pin which was extended to accommodate it.
I went with the tactical which is much slimmer and should be a harder to bump off. The ambi safety is my best option being left handed, I can understand right handed people have the right side removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts