1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Went to our local gun show today and as I was leaving, my eyes beheld a new Series 80 Super . It called my name but I managed to pass on it. Usually I can be fairly sure I will see it again but of late, they seem to be selling.

Shall I congratulate myself on my restraint or kick myself for passing it by?

Gad I hate this feeling.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I do not know how many passes this makes. Some say three strikes, you are out. Some say the third time is the charm.

So, you better bend over or stay out of the shows till you have the needed Presidents.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
duplicate post. not sure how this happened.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Shall I congratulate myself on my restraint or kick myself for passing it by?
I'd say it depends on the price. I recently sold a like new one for $850 (under 100 rounds fired) to fund a special purchase. I have since built my funds back up and found a nice 1979 (which is what I really wanted anyway) that I just picked up, or will have by the end of the week.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd say kick. Especially if it called your name. I think you're right about Super's these days, they're selling as fast as they can be made. Probably because it seems that Colt only does limited runs of them.

Smitty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently bought a new colt .38 super. As soon as I find someone I trust in San Antonio it will get all new wilson combat parts and a good tune up. Still haven't made up my mind about the barrel and the finish. Leaning towards a bull barrel and a Carbonia Bluing from RGS Restorations. http://www.ronsgunshop.com/

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have 3 now, a Series 70 Government, a Series 80 Government and a Series 70 Commander .

Price on the table was just shy of $1,200.00 . I love the calibre, oddly I own no .45s
I admit was VERY difficult to walk away from it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ris713, those colt parts are high quality parts, mim on the sear and disco only, but everything else good to go! My two new ones have not needed a tune-up, or anything else. I have done trigger work, though, with wilson B/P sear and disco, very nice result. everything else staying the same.

Since you have others, only a small kick-- otherwise big ole mule kick!
Best,

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
my 1979 38 Super arrived today. Definitely not a safe queen. This one is a Series 70 1979 vintage that has had a little work done on it. New barrel & bushing, Wilson target sights, polished and throated, trigger job, beavertail & Commander hammer, extended slide stop, and a Barrett magwell

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Ris713, those colt parts are high quality parts, mim on the sear and disco only, but everything else good to go! My two new ones have not needed a tune-up, or anything else. I have done trigger work, though, with wilson B/P sear and disco, very nice result. everything else staying the same.
Don't forget about the MIM mag catch and mag catch lock :) The semi-extended Wilson BP is great there, too.

Love the Super, but if you already have one and know you needed to restrain yourself, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
953 Posts
@ that price, maybe a slap.

There was a 2nd Super in my LGS that sat for a while but it's gone. I have 1 Super and feel the need for another.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My lgs has a new one for 900$, I'm tempted too, passed 3 times. I've got 10 1911zzz all in .45. Why does the Super exsist? What do people like them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts