1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Taught By Dave Sample

The following are pictures of a 1911 built by a student with no previous metalworking or gunsmithing experience. All classes were conducted on line.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ted!

Yes, all mine. I've gained a new respect for what goes into one of these.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chuck and Tim;

I've got about 450 rounds through the gun so far without a burp. LSWC, Ball, HP it feeds them all. Extremely accurate, the Kart barrel makes it hard for me to shoot up to the gun.

Great experience.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice gun period, Caspian does a good jop with Smiths and hobbyist and your finished project is very nice . Tell us how does it shoot is it reliable those breechfaces are always tight on Caspian slides. Mike O'Hara

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Mike and Bodeen;

Thanks! Mike you're right about the Caspian breach face, it is addressed in the course and the result is, so far, 100% reliability.

Caspian's support of the class was nothing less than outstanding!

The finish is courtesy of Gunsite's smithy; it is their standard blueing job. All business in appearance. No blemishes at all.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
So what the internet has already done to expensive dealers it's doing to gunsmiths! Your days are numbered guys! :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you dont mind me asking. What does the entire project cost in parts alone? I've been thinking of building my own out of a Caspian frame and slide. I can afford the parts, just cant afford to have someone else put it together :)

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The class got a good deal on the parts kit thanks to the support of companies like Caspian, Novak, Wolff, Chip McCormick and others I'm probably oafishly leaving out.

I'm not being coy, but I can tell you that I priced out the kit we purchased at about $1,300.00 retail.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I've been busy;

There is more information on the course at;

http://www.davesample.com/

I believe the 2004 course has been fully booked, but you can contact Dave through the above site. He's great at answering questions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts