1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

I look at the CHP, an agency that has sported some nifty rides, such as the Camaro Z28, and Mustang...

San Jose PD has a Corvette they use for D.A.R.E. and many of the local agencies are moving from the Caprice, or Crown Vic's to SUV's like the Tahoe, or Expedition, the coolest, the Expedition's. The CHP's have winches, and all sorts of gear stuffed into them...

So when I was out driving near Stockton today, coming home, and see this Black & White sneaking up on me, I move over, and drop the cruise control down to 70 (in the 65) and almost keel over dead from laughter as this CHP VOLVO passes by... All marked up, the whole she-bang...

So... I remember a while back reading the CHP had tested them, and never thought I would EVER see a US or State agency approve the purchase of a FORIEGN car, though it's probably built here, Volvo is still a non-US company unless GM has some kind of stake in them, even though... Still a little surpised...

If there's anyone about that can explain the "Mission" of the new Cruiser, I'd appreciate it... Thankfully, it was "Sans Baby Seat".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Volvo is a Ford owned company I believe.
BMW sent a car here to THP a few years ago for testing. Only kept it a couple of weeks.
I have heard rumors there are a small number of BMW patrol cars in Alabama. There is a plant there, may have something to do with the rumors.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoopss... Yer right.... Volvo is a Ford subsidiary... Still, it's not a typical "Detroit" Iron brand I would identify with as an American Consumer, and union supporter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I haven't seen a volvo as a police car though.

the thing i can say though, is since chevy quit making the caprice the choices are limited.

in a small agency like mine, the z28's are not practical and the tahoe really isn't either. so its either a crown or an impala.

we tried talking our chief into the crowns to replace our 94 caprice's.( i have a 94 caprice with 183,000 miles on it)
our chief is dead set on the new impala's. he has one, and love's it.

my problem is first, the front wheel drive, its great in the snow, but for pursuit driving, (even just catching speeders) it just doesn't stack up. its too small inside esp the doors being so narrow)

the power is about the same as the new crowns, which has never matched the power of the LT1 chevy's.

i would rather have the crown, but either way, i am going to miss my 94 caprice for the handleing and sheer power.

sorry this got kind of off the subject, but my point being, with ford the only rear wheel drive full size car, police departments are looking at other makers, because the new wave of police cars just don't stack up.

(oh, i carry my 1911 in my police car, i just say that to keep my responce in line with the forum

russel the cop

·
Registered
853 Posts
Volvo is pushing hard. They have an incredible buy back program also. They give the used Volvo a huge valuation after you are through with it, and the agency can apply that money towards a new one. Chevy is not going to make the Caprice anymore, and a lot of agencies are not happy with the Fords.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC, the Volvo is one of the few remaining Rear-Drive cars being built.

Also, IIRC, that was a requistite for the CHP choice.

I had heard a few years ago that the CHP was not happy with the Crown Vic's due to power defeciencies, and in some small rural areas, a friend of mine actually fitted Paxton's to them, but since the newer models came out, I hadn't heard the same concerns.

I have to tell ya though, the Volvo isn't gonna break any speed records, especially with the SMALL trunk stuffed with gear.

It was a shame that Chevy got out of the Police Sedan business... While I hated them, they did serve well...

I used to wrench at a shop that had the maintenance contracts for EPA PD, and they had some Crapice's, a few Ford's, and some REALLY old Dodge's. Talk about "Beaters".

I suppose, for the price, and with Rear Drive only in mind, the Volvo is hard to beat... Bet a few of the CHP officers are wishing that they had Patrol Cruisers supplied by the same company that provides their Motorcycles though

·
Registered
492 Posts
mmmmmmmm, (drooling) BMW patrol car. can you imagine having a 3 or 5 series as your cruiser?

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
--Benjamin Franklin--

·
Registered
71 Posts
I drove one of the new Impalas for a few days. It accelerated okay and handled way better than the Crown Vic. Small trunk though. Actually easier to get prisoners in and out of the Impala when the cage is set up right.

I too miss the LT-1 package Caprice. All that room and power!
The 2000 Crown Vic I am issued now is okay. Just not really inspiring like the Caprice was.
Anybody else have a problem with the rear end of their Crown Vic sitting really low?
My trunk is pretty full. A G-3, Steyr SBS 26" Tactical rifle in Pelican case, 500 rounds of .308, entry vest and associated equipment, boxes to hold case files and fingerprint kits, heavy duty fire extinguisher and a bunch of other stuff.
I know that is alot of stuff and it should squat some but people have asked whats wrong with my car it sits so low.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Back in the early 80's, the adjoining Sheriff's Dept. had a fleet of Pontiac Trans Am's. The motors were built, complete with headers and 4-speed transmissions. They had a few Le-Mans (I think) models which were also built.
My patrol car was in the shop one day, and I "hitched" a ride with the Sheriff. That was an unforgettable experience!

------------------

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have the Heavy Duty springs in the CV's, but it still wouldn't surprise me that your squats.

Pokey, I am thinking more along the lines of a 5 or 7 series... Yup, CHP is getting BMW bikes these days...

Personally, I think GM really screwed up by doing away with the old Impalla SS, it was the perfect platform for a cruiser, and a fun car for the Non-LE's. That new one is a joke by comparison.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In San Diego we tested a turbo Volvo as a police car in 1983-1984. I got to drive it for a week. It was a kick in the pants to drive compaired to what we had then, Ford Fairmount's and Dodge Aspens. But as a police car today Ill take a Crown Vic. Much better suited for what we do.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did manage, after some extensive searching to find some pics of the beasts, and apparently, they did not survive the Testing in 2000. They were 1998 S70's, and the CHP will continue to use the ones they have until the service limit is reached, at which time, they will remove them from service, based on one website's info.

FWIW, I feel really sorry for any officer who has to "work" in the S70, that "Office" is pretty small.

Here's a pic of one Sans Lightbar, but the one spotted yesterday did have one of the Victor bars on it.

They are currently testing the 2001 Impala, and I guess that will be the next cruiser...

Gotta tell ya... I'd HATE to roll up on one of these at a fast clip... I rely on that lettering to help me pick them up

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a pic of the latest Hi-Performance PD Cruiser... :wink:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, that's the first I heard, but certainly something I would be interested in.

I think it could be a very cool PD Cruiser, imagine the "Police Interceptor" version of this

They mentioned the Cobra's 4.6 Twin Cam for power, throw a blower on this, and REALLY smoke some tires
Sad they couldn't fit the 5.4, the Lightning motor would have been a nice "fit".

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well unfortunately my pd doesnt have any other than the standard patrol cars
But we do have an awesome DARE care. Chevy Blazer That is enormous. I dont remember what the lift is or size tires but I'll post it when I got to work today.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well guys, this will surely tell my age, but IMHO they stopped making REAL POLICE CARS when the discontinued Plymouths with 440s. There is nothing better sounding than a wide open four barrel carb and dual exhausts!!

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Any of these will beat my first one. A 65 Ford Galaxie, standard transmission, manual breaks, no air, no good time radio, one channel radio, one red spot light and a wind up siren stolen from an old ambulance. Had to carry a case of oil in the trunk but it would run a hole in the wind with that old 390 Interceptor.

I'm aging myself with this kind of info.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The cheif drives an Impala and the rest of the P.D. have two door Tahoes. Not much on pursuits but we stopped chasing criminals when it became to dangerous. Now we just wave g'bye at them. If and when we are allowed to catch one we call for the S.O. to transport for us.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My past cars have been all chevy caprices since 1990 , the last was a 94 with the LT1 engine , God i miss that car , then in 96 I got a new Crown , hated it on power it ran 120 tops , I just got my new 2001 Crown last Week that upped the horsepower , removed the crank driven fan and raised the rear ratio , it has 800 miles on it right now and runs about 132 tops , maybe better when its broken in . It has a light bar and that drops around ten mph off top end .I really wanted a New jeep cherokee as I patrol rural areas .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts