1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shot the smith and wesson performance center 945 this past weekend at the smith and wesson weekend thing at my range, and all i can say is WOW. The thing is awsome, easy to controll, easy to shoot, AMAZING trigger, and absolutly beutiful. The front strap of the gun seemed a little wider than my kimber which was a godsend for me and my big hands. I shot the gun more accuratly than i was ever able to shoot the kimber. fit and finish was bordering on work of art.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Then you'd better stop talking and

start spending - the 945 has been discontinued. If you really want a 945, get one while you can. What market there was for it seems to have now dried up, due to the availability of the S&W 1911 - which is what S&W should have built to begin with.

There will likely be a "Performance Center" version out, carrying a 30% surcharge for the alleged and dubious (based on my 625 PC) "special treatment." :hrm:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the 954 WAS the 1911 PC model. it looks like and shares its design with the 1911 so i just assumed thats what it was...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
a little something to keep the desire afloat.......

Number6: Was there an announcement that the 945 is cancelled? It has always been a PC gun, and has definitely seen special treatment. The fit and finish of the gun is on par with a Wilson, if not just a touch better. They are really fitted up slick and everything fits flush and smooth.

They still show on the website. If they are discontinued that's too bad. It really isn't a 1911, but is close enough that those of us who love the 1911 can really enjoy it. It really was Libenberg's creation when he ran the PC shop.. I've seen plenty of them in the shops recently.

Glad I got the ones I have when I did. They've done nothing but run great and they are incredibly accurate.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I received an e-mail notice from

the largest dealer in my state that the 945 has been discontinued, and that this dealer had 5 or 6 still in stock.

As for the 945 being a 1911; if that WERE the case, it would not use proprietary mags (due to the different grip angle) and the S&W 1911 would not have been developed.

Let's see what else develops on this announcement. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aparently its a RSR and Camfor exclusive...so maybe they stopped shipping them to everyone but those two dealers...i dont have the cash now or anytime soon for it, but would love to pick one up...i hope its not discontinued. but then again im not a expert of smith and wessons...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just picked one up from Smith, direct from the factory with their LEO discount and they said nothing about it being discontinued. It has always been a PC gun and from what I understand, they only make them when needed, so it shouldn't be a big deal to keep them in PC Production. I hope so bc these thigs are awesome. They are everything that we all hope for in a 1911...reliability, durability, and accuracy.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Overlooking one salient fact...

"They are everything that we all hope for in a
1911...reliability, durability, and accuracy."

One could say the same about a Glock. The 945 is NOT a 1911. Neither, apparently, is it all that popular. Hence the introduction of the S&W 1911.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah, they lack the weaknesses of a traditional 1911...extractor, mags...brl link and so on. They are very similar to a 1911 in feel, SA, same safety, similar grip and grip safety. I love my 945 and I do trust it a lot more than any of my 1911s.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it really does feel and shoot like a 1911, and if you know anything about 1911's and operaion of them, switching to a 945 probibly wouldnt be that big of a deal...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Aren't they a tad bit heavier and bigger than your standard full size 1911? I would love to be able to just check one out and handle it, but no one in my area would even think of stocking one.
I wonder how it stakcs up against the high dollar Prima-Donnas in the 1911 world like Wilson, Baer, Brown and the others?
That black one pictured above is really awesome. I am afraid that I would not be able to walk away from that if it were in a shop and I came in. Whew, good thing too.

Nala

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have owned and sold two different barrel length 945s. I found the grip angle and size to be uncomfortable. The use of their own mags was also a problem. Too bad No one makes replacements.

The S&W 1911, after changing out the trigger, fits me a lot better and is only about $400 less which can buy a lot of bullets and powder for practice :D

Regards,

·
Registered
151 Posts
NJKimberSS said:
i thought the 954 WAS the 1911 PC model. it looks like and shares its design with the 1911 so i just assumed thats what it was...
The 945, although sharing characteristics of a 1911, was built on a Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation frame. Hence the difference in grip angle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have one and it is a great pistol. No, it really isn't a 1911 and does have have a different grip size an angle from a 1911 but it does shoot. They do have all the external controls of a 1911 so shooting one doesn't take any adjustments.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

A 945 will put any 1911 to shame as far a function reliability. Both 945's I have NEVER choked for ANY reason. Some of the best 1911's ever mentioned (I got a couple of those). Sometimes give a headache.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As others have mentioned PC 945 is similar to 1911, but certainly not identical. I would agree that it's a little heavier, grip is a little wider, grip angle slightly different.

As for the cost, they are expensive - but in my opinion worth it. The Performance Center basically hand builds each one. Although I do not own and have never shot an Ed Brown or a Les Baer, I have heard others who own both say that the fit and finish are very comparable. They are cheaper than the PC version of the SW1911. They are VERY accurate. They have an awesome trigger. IMHO they are beautiful. They are 100% reliable (probably about 1500 rounds through mine with zero problems of any kind.

With respect to their continued ability - about 6-9 months ago I heard they were discontinued. But then I heard that they were mfg. them again. So I'm not really sure what the story is. Probably best place to go to find out is the smith-wesson forum.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Heavier?

I keep hearing this, but to be honest, I never noticed it. Don't have my 945 with me here at work to put on the digital scales, but I just looked in the S&W book and it's (according to them) actually LIGHTER than the SW1911.The 945 is listed at 40.5 oz, the SW1911 at 41 oz. Mine has been 100% reliable. I just can't shoot it as accurate as I can my Trophy. I'm working on it though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
STRIKER27 said:
The 945, although sharing characteristics of a 1911, was built on a Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation frame. Hence the difference in grip angle.
Is this the reason for the big putty filled hole in the slide? That seems kind of cheap for a 1200 dollar custom built gun. I'm sure it shoots well.

The local Gander Mountain has one on the shelf.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts