1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the monthly IDPA match at Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center in Raleigh, NC last night for the second time. Beginning at five and breaking up around nine, it attracted around 45 shooters of excellent skill and diversity.
I shot in CDP, unclassified, with my Tim Bacus built .45, EF2. There were Four stages of two strings each, all of which were fun and well constructed, taking advantage of PDHSC's indoor facilities.
Stage 1 and 2 were constructed around the theme of "minimum wage", which I found ironic since I was shooting them with a X-thousand-dollar .45 :D Stage 1 was built around a convenience store hold up; three targets. A near one, and two far, painted red and black. The scenario is they planned to hold you up. But one of the two "painted" ones twitched and gave it away, giving you a chance to fight back. Drawing from a deck of cards, the suit would determine which one twitched; engage him first, then go from near to far, two shots each, drawn from concealment. The black target on the dim range was what I drew on for both repetitions of this string, and I was amazed to discover I dropped no points on it, as I did not see my sights well at all against it. Stage two was split up more interestingly, a trend that would continue for the rest of the match. You began hold a 5 gallon bucket lid, representing a pizza. The guys answering the door have a distinct, genetic aversion to pepperoni, though, and decide to KILL you! So you drop the pistol and Mozambique two targets, divided by a no-shoot representing... someone you don't shoot... :)
After that, you'd move on to string two, where the scenario was you'd been shot in your dominant arm during the last encounter. You had to retrieve your pistol, weak handed, and engage an advancing target with at least four shots. Being oddly cross dominant, I love "weak hand" stages as I shoot better one-handed with my weak hand. I did quite well, IMO, no more than I practice such things.
Stage Three was where things got interesting. The whole thing was a terrorist takeover of an aircraft. Stage three was a drama outside, as you're engaged at close range by a body-armor wearing terrorist. Draw and fire a Mozambique on a single target at warp speed at near-contact distance, then switch gears and chill out enough to knock over a Bianchi plate at 10 yards. String 2 had you starting at the surrender position, backing off from the target. You'd then draw on the buzzer and fire a Bill Drill while retreating, fade to cover, reload from slidelock, and try to drop back out of warp for another Bianchi plate, this time at about 15 yards, due to your retreat to cover.
Stage Four was REALLY WILD! This time you move onto the airplane. Starting seated on the port side of the middle row, you take the role of a federal air marshall. The terrorist reveal themselves, so you draw and fire three shots into the body of the scum in coach, then pick off a pepper popper up in 1st class. The irony of the stage setup for both strings was you were using a series of no-shoots as cover... the other passengers :rolleyes:
This was especially funny during string 2 when this one lady was shooting with a HUMONGOUS 185 grain load that made the fireball of doom; she significantly increased the size of our shooting port, let's put it that way :D I feel for the guy's shoulder!
Anyway, string 2 had our heroic air marshall lying dead on the floor. Yep, that first target had a T-shirt on, and that t-shirt had body armor under it, and while he was taking care of that guy in first class, he got capped. Oops. So now you played a passenger, disarmed for his safety by his government. Starting from the STARBOARD side of the row now, the string begins as you DIVE for the marshall's lost weapon, and put two in the body-armored thug's face. Retrieving ammo from the dummy/corpse, you proceed to neutralize terrorists from in between the seats, scooting across and taking your shots, until you finally wind up back on the starboard side leaning out to take care of two more poppers in first class. It was frantic and great fun.
It was a well put together match, they put the shooters through efficiently, and I had a very good night, where the shooting felt all zen-like and my concious mind was off except where I needed it, to the point where I don't have detailed memories of things like recoil, trigger press, or sight alignment, or even reloads. I was top unclassified CDP, 6th overall CDP, and 11th overall match, and I felt quite proud of that showing for only my second IDPA match ever.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TRB,

Sorry I missed that match. First match I have missed in many months, but that is how things go. David Bramble puts together a really nice string and runs things well. This is only the third time he has run the matches at PDHSC and I have to say I am impressed.

Are you shooting any of the other matches in the area? Oxford or Carthidge?

Hope to see you next month. I will be shooting my new Dan Wesson Partiot by then

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope to see you, but not there, it was announced last night that PDHSC is taking December off. I'm thinking about going to Oxford for the first time, in December. I was told last night that they're going to hold a NIGHT MATCH!!! Time to practice my Sure-Fire technique. I'm also thinking of taking up three-gun at Oxford at some point, though I want to watch one of those and talk to some shooter before I venture into it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was at the one at Trigger-time that morning. And the one at PDHSC that night. Long day but it was alot of fun. Cold and rainy start down at Trigger time.
Can't wait to do it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts