1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a factory stock 1911 from a reputable manufacturer. Round count is only a couple hundred.

Last range session I had a couple failures to go completely into battery. When I went to fields trip it, the barrel wouldn't come out of the slide.

Upon inspection the rear face of the lower barrel lugs are peened to the point where the displaced metal is making the lower lugs too wide to fit through the opening in the slide.

The advice I'm looking for is to help me understand what the cause of this could be. Is this a barrel timing issue? Is the barrel improperly fit at the factory. Could it be a barrel material or heat treat issue?

Anyway, any help the gunsmiths on here can offer to help me understand the cause of this issue would be welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled apart another of our officer's guns (same model) and noticed a similar effect, but not as pronounced. It appears that the "as machined" surface of the lower lugs has a very sharp edge as opposed to some of my other fitted barrels in which this edge is slightly beveled. Under use this sharp edge is being rolled over or peened to the point that the barrel lugs are hanging up on the frame during use and are making the lugs too wide to be readily removed from the slide during field stripping.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I could probably make the barrel come free, it's going back to the manufacturer that way so they can see the issue first hand.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You got me looking at a few barrels, the radius on your barrel looks a lot larger than most I have. what is the recoil spring set up like and what kind of ammo? On officers I sometimes see a lot of frame battering where the recoil spring guide comes in contact with the frame, sometimes leaving an imprint the peening is so bad. Mostly the duel spring set up which I think is weak. Is there a proper VIS bowtie on the frame and how does that look? I almost seem that the large radius is stopping the barrel feet from making contact with the VIS.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Looks like a mismachined VIS and the lower lugs are taking all of the impact in one spot and not spreading out the stress.
Joe

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
Looks like a mismachined VIS and the lower lugs are taking all of the impact in one spot and not spreading out the stress.
Joe
That's what I was seeing, too. Also the radius at the root of the back of the lugs seems larger than normal. Remington R-1?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Are they shooting +P through it with a weak recoil spring?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts