1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some wear (peening) at the slide release notch after 1900 rounds. I bought new 6 months ago.

Justin at Ed Brown said it would stop wearing at some point and then I could send in to have them smooth the notch and refinish the slide. Great customer service!

Have others had this occur? I love my KC and carry it daily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This post and picture piqued my curiosity.

My KC has about 3,500 rnds through it. I just unholstered and unloaded it and found it to be just like your pic. I'm going to run mine the way it is and not worry about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not too worried, just nice to know that EB will take care of it, if I desire. I'll keep a close watch as I shoot off the next 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I had a Kobra Carry with a soft slide that was worse than that after a few mags.

Proper Carbon steel FTW...

·
Registered
470 Posts
what is causing the peening? I am guessing another area is marked as well.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had it happen on my KC as well. I sent the gun in to have something else taken care of and had it smoothed out while it was there.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I have some wear (peening) at the slide release notch after 1900 rounds. I bought new 6 months ago.

Justin at Ed Brown said it would stop wearing at some point and then I could send in to have them smooth the notch and refinish the slide. Great customer service!

Have others had this occur? I love my KC and carry it daily.
I do not understand this peening. This peening is on the muzzle end of the slide stop notch. Every picture and description of prior peening on an Ed Brown that I can remember was on the hammer end of the slide stop notch and would probably occur as the stop popped into the returning slide. The probable reason was that the slide stop notch was cut a little tight on early Ed Browns. This previous peening tended to occur on stainless steel Kobra Carrys that were much earlier builds.

Also, the peening above looks like it is not as bad as what occurred on the rear side of slide stop notches......although it is hard to judge in a photo.

Am I missing something, or is this just overkill on a beaten down subject that is easily fixed?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Why is it I've never really seen this peening on the old GI guns. I've had a couple of different manufactures 1911's do the slidestop peening thing. A friend of mine told me that in the old days they used to harden the slidestop notches in that specific area on the old GI 1911's.. :scratch:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do not understand this peening. This peening is on the muzzle end of the slide stop notch. Every picture and description of prior peening on an Ed Brown that I can remember was on the hammer end of the slide stop notch and would probably occur as the stop popped into the returning slide. The probable reason was that the slide stop notch was cut a little tight on early Ed Browns. This previous peening tended to occur on stainless steel Kobra Carrys that were much earlier builds.

Also, the peening above looks like it is not as bad as what occurred on the rear side of slide stop notches......although it is hard to judge in a photo.

Am I missing something, or is this just overkill on a beaten down subject that is easily fixed?

Regards,

I agree that this is not too bad of a rough spot (since it's my gun, I can make this call). However, I have not seen this on other pistols that I own. It does not seem to be getting any worse, I have put another 200 rounds since this photo and will continue to monitor. Eventually I will ship the slide back to EB for it to be touched up.

I'm not trying to indicate it is a big deal, however I did not expect the notch to have a rough edge to it after only 2000 or less rounds. I was just looking to see if others had this experience.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
gi1964,

Sorry to bring up peening one more time. I just did not understand how this peening occurred and I have always been fascinated regarding how pistols work. Maybe I need to take up golf.

Happy Holidays. Enjoy the gun.

Craig

1 - 20 of 27 Posts