1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any stories about using a pellet or BB gun for defenseive measures, especially property defense. I realize they are not suitable for a personal defense weapon, but some can fire projectiles exceeding 1200 ft/sec. That sure would sting. Another nice attribute is that they are quite and not too destructive if you miss. From a legal standpoint they are generally considered non lethal or at least classified as somethin less dangerous than a firearm. (Correct me if I am wrong). The idea is to send the BG running but keep yourself out of severe legal jeapordy.

Consider this hypothetical situation. Assume also that you have a real weapon at ready. You awake at 2:00 in the morning to find someone breaking into your vehicle. The intruder is unaware of your presence and you have a clear shot from the upstairs window of your home. Maybe a shot to the body could send him running without real injury. If the police are not there now, they are already too late anyway.

Another situation which was true. A neighbor saw a guy prowling in the alley peeking over the back walls. Obviously up to no good. Said he thought about popping him with his BB gun to run him off. He did not actually do it, but I thought it would have been funny.

Any stories? Ideas. I think they could have some applications in a city environment.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ummm...jees..where to start..how bout..."you'll shoot yer eye out..."

no.. I don't think it's a good idea in any way...mighta worked for our lil buddy Ralphy on the christmas story..but I can think of several scenarios.

1) you shoot..take out the bguy's eyeball...he swears he was just walkin down the street or cutting through your yard looking for his stray dog...and now you get to pay for his medical and pain n suffering for years to come.

2) he is a really bad guy..you've just pissed him off and he figures that the BB gun is all you got and he's gonna teach you a lesson..and now his story to the cops was he was just walking by..looking for his stray dog and you assaulted him and he was defending himself...or he kicks your a$$ and leaves you for dead after feeding the rest of the BBs to you.

3) number three and most important..it is a known and proven law of physics that a BB propelled at over 1,000 feet per second will obey the laws of geometry every time..thereby striking an object, ricocheting and always always returning to it's place of origin...hench...YOU'LL SHOOT YER EYE OUT!

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some very good points BigHand. Probably not a good idea to use the BB gun.

But I have to argue some against #3

3) number three and most important..it is a known and proven law of physics that a BB propelled at over 1,000 feet per second will obey the laws of geometry every time..thereby striking an object, ricocheting and always always returning to it's place of origin...hench...YOU'LL SHOOT YER EYE OUT!

I think it very unlikely that a richochet off a soft target would send the BB back to my eye. Also it would not "always always" return to the point of origin. The angle of impact would have a critical effect on that.

Now if I stood 10 feet away from and shot a brick wall, then #3 would be an issue.

Just curious still, any stories?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
no... I'm just messin with ya...making light humor...

seriously.. I've not hesitated to take a bb gun or paint ball gun to pesky dogs, cats and racoons that continue to do their best to get into my trash, etc..we live in the country and some folks don't put their critters up at night...

and i can imagine the a sting from a pellet/bb gun would make for fun to watch some dummy jump n run..if that's where it ends..then yeah..happy story...
wasn't trying to be harsh or anything..I just got this image of the Christmas story in my mind..it's that time of year...and Ralphy is plinkin a half dozen bad guys in his back yard...if you haven't ever seen the movie...do yourself a favor...it's a classic for the holidays...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I actually had one night when I would have loved to plink a bad guy...my dog, who comes in at night, woke me with a woof..she had noticed the guy in my truck out in my drive..he had already been in 1 truck..the courtesy light was on and he was moving towards the second one when I got up and looked out from my upstairs bedroom window...oh how I wanted to fire on that guy..but not legal to rain down on him from the safety of my upstairs bedroom...I actually cranked the window open, racked my slide, and called down to the guy.."dude...is there something you really need from my truck cause shots are about to be fired..." and he froze and actually answered me..."no"..then he bolted as if he had been shot...made a mess of my glove box..but that was it...had already hit 6 other yards that night before my 4am puppy dog awakening...its times like that you just want to plink em with something :biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
There are some serious air rifles out there that will do more than just sting. I own a couple. My most powerful one will shoot a .22 pellet through a 1" cedar board. Many are classified with firearms in different parts of the country. That being said, I wouldn't be screwing around with one for self-defense. If you're in fear of great bodily harm, defend yourself in a serious manner. Where I live, shooting some guy with an air rifle because he's messing around your truck will probably end up with you on the business end of some criminal charges.

Here's a link for anyone that's interested. About the price of a very nice pistol by the time you buy everything you need.
http://www.straightshooters.com/Air Arms/410erb.html

L.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
BB Guns and Pellet Guns

I think anyone that likes to shoot should own a pellet pistol or rifle. I just don't think it should ever be considered for self defense.

I have used both pellet pistol and pellet rifles to improve my marksmanship skills. The first year I entered the National Mid-Winter NRA Bullseye match held in Tampa, Fl, I shot well below my capabilities. I was nervous on the 50 yuard line and couldn't hold the gun still. I later purchased a Daisy pellet pistol, and I firmly believe my pellet pistol practice helped me to win my class, with all three guns, at the National Mid Winters the following year. I used a pellet pistol and a 4lb. scuba weight attached to my extended arm and practiced my slow fire skills for at least 15 - 20 minutes per day. This strengthed my arm muscles, and allowed me a rock steady hold on the gun when shooting in competition. I was also running 5 miles every other day to improve my cardiovascular system which helped me to overcome my nerves when I stepped up to the slow fire stage. Shooting a pellet pistol requires good follow through, since the pellet moves slower through the barrel than a conventional firearm. Pellet pistols and rifles are great training aids, but not a good choice for self defense.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
and just in case you really insist on a pellet gun for self defense, I can tell you from personal experience that a Daisy 880 pumped up 10 times will penetrate a good 2 inches of flesh.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have nothing on a pellet gun but will share that before my wife got her CHL and her new little Taurus model 85, 38 spl, she used a paint ball gun. Before you laugh, consider this. A fully automatic paintball gun, firing frozen paintballs (She stores them in the freezer) at 600' per second can easily kill a large dog (especially if they are in your pasture chasing your horses) (wink wink).. Not only does my wife still love her paitball gun for snakes, opossums, armadillos and anything else that walkes through the yard, but she is damn good with it. If you didnt have a real weapon handy, I dont care who you are, frozen paintballs will cripple an atacker (head shots can kill). I guess it is the equivelent of a rock being thrown at 600' per second. For short distances an automatic paintball gun is definately a "non-lethal" alternative. :)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Who is Ralphy? Is it posted on a thread here somewhere?
I hope you`re not offended....but when I read that, I laughed so hard I spit soup all over my keyboard. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
many many many years back.. I had some fellow employees begging me to watch this movie..and it wasn't out on VHS..but they had made a copy from TV for me....I had no idea what they were going on about til I watched the thing...and it is now on my annual required viewing list at christmas time.

but yeah...sorry..my joking fell short unless you've seen the movie..so please make a point to rent it..actually do yourself a favor..go to walmart n just buy one..cause you'll watch it again and again.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
We had an area fenced off with very long runs of chain @ 3 different heights, to prevent people/animals from falling down a gorge in the Catskills NY. Some locals late teen early 20's were stripping the chain from the posts when my red rider Daisy went to work! There I was a little puny kid pissed that these guys were ripping my parents off! I didn't warn them I just started shooting and they took off while I chased/shot at them all the way to their beat up car (of course my Bull Mastiff was running ahead of me too:) ). I think about it and laugh now that I'm 43. The dog and bb gun are long gone but the fond memory will stay with me forever!:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wouldn't even go there. If you are going to confront a bad guy or defend your property you better be playin with a full deck and be ready for the worst possible outcome. And chances are if he is breaking into your car, just you catching him in the act and your presence will more than likely cause him to flee. If it is a home invasion then abviously he isn't scared of you so get down to business accordingly.

Little real life story:

A few years back I was "wolf pack" patrolling in some what of a rural area with some sheriff's deputies. We were all just running traffic and writing citations. A deputy initiated a t-stop, conducted business and some kids in the nearby arroyo decided they wanted to take some pop shots at the deputy and his unit. Apparently when the kids saw his reaction they paniced leaving the BB gun and their backpack in place and took off running. The S.O. called out a tracking dog from the state pen and tracked the kids to their house where they subsequently admitted their idiousy and were arrested, charged with aggravated assault upon a peace officer with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery upon a peace officer with deadly weapon, conspiracy, resistaing evading, criminal damage to property, etc.

Like it was said in another post above, WHAT IF, you shoot the guys eye out :eek: or you have a high power one that shoots 1200 fps, thats like a 22 long rifle. I dunno about you but if I get hit by one of those I'm returning fire and I won't be shootin back with a BB gun.

So, just my opinion, but the only thing a BB gun is good for is introducing your kiddos to the basics of firearms safety and manipulation. And maybe shooting a few live targets like birds and other little varmints on occasion :rock:.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts