1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are very pro 2nd

They have a show called fool US on CW

At the end of the show the do a bullet catch with two Colt Pythons .357 magnums.

I think I have it figured out but I want to hear your opinions first

CLICK HERE TO WATCH

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
I saw them in person do the bullet catch. I am about clueless how they did it. I talked with both of them after the show and Penn made it clear he was not a risk taker. I was in the third row and was able to catch a lot of little things many might not catch (I also used to do magic tricks as a hobby). The guns seem real, the only test I would want to do on the guns is see if the firing pin would launch a pencil. The bullets show the lands and grooves on them at the end.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Amazing! Thanks for posting the link.
I really like Penn & Teller, but had not even heard of this one. The only thing I noticed was that Penn started to insert into the cylinder obscuring the signed bullet. The unique case was visible, but not the personalized bullet. Other than that...I have absolutely no idea how they do it. Good job guys!

·
Banned
608 Posts
I think this should be posted under Tactics. Bullet catching (and surviving) is a very useful tactic! :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
In 2010 when we saw the show in Las Vegas I was chosen as one of the volunteers. I was working with Teller and we had a conversation going while Penn was walking everybody through the trick. I have no clue how the trick was done but I also mentioned to the audience that the primer had been dented on the fired case also. I still have the case and bullet.

The 2 Pythons were real and I mentioned to Teller that they are great revolvers and he mentioned that they are not made anymore.

They had an autograph session after the show and both gentlemen were a blast to talk to.

Marty
A-7424

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
I am not really sure.

But I think that it involves sleight of hand switching the bullets between them. Additionally I think that those "laser sights" are more than they appear. I think that perhaps their is something coming out of those "laser sights" that is punching the hole in the glass which I am certain must be theater glass which is actually made of sugar. The same kind of glass that they use when you see guys breaking bottles on each others heads in bar fight scenes.

Not really sure how they move the cases around.

I am going to have to cultivate an English accent so I can get my own talk show or ring announcer job. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe I have it figured out but I am waiting to see if anyone else has the same theory..

Should I post my theory now or later to give other people the chance to give their solutions to the trick?

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
Nice trick like most of what they do. I also think it has something to do with the yellow line. Those are very mild loads for a 357.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SamlautRanger sent me a PM and I explained the trick to him via PM I am waiting to see if SamlautRanger thinks my solution is plausible

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice trick like most of what they do. I also think it has something to do with the yellow line. Those are very mild loads for a 357.
The yellow line is there in make sure that no one hands or sneaks the bullet from one side to the other. If on one crosses the line it is only possible for the bullets to get from one side to the other by being shot across the line.

You are on the right track with the loads

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
The way I would do it is to actually shoot the bullets with a very mild load, but shoot so they would hit the vest and the vests might be magic props. Have a bullet in my mouth and make the switch with slight of hand with the one that hit the vest. At least something along those line and you would have to practice a lot.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The way I would do it is to actually shoot the bullets with a very mild load, but shoot so they would hit the vest and the vests might be magic props. Have a bullet in my mouth and make the switch with slight of hand with the one that hit the vest. At least something along those line and you would have to practice a lot.
Very close but not exactly right

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK I think this is how it was done

It is all real, they really catch the bullet.

The ammo is hand loaded with just enough powder to get thru the barrel and break the glass them hit the helmet.

The point of impact on the laser is a few inches higher than the point of aim. When they aim at the mouth the bullet should hit the helmet (the safety glasses are there in case the bullet misses the helmet. Notice that the helmet comes flying off their head. When it hits the helmet it absorbs the energy and they are able to catch it after it bounces off the helmet.

====================
Notice the lack of recoil is due to light powder charge. Bullet is moving very slow and when it hits helmet it stop it enough for them to catch it as it bounces off the helmet

notice in the one gun version the helmet flies off, which seems to confirm my theory that POI is the helmet although the POA is the mouth

===========================
What is your opinion, am I right?

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
You have to wonder though.

If the load is so light, and it has to be. How is it that the "glass" impact does not cause enough deflection to throw that projectile off track enough to ruin the trick?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts