1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm moving down to Florida to attend a police academy. My question is, what do I have to do with my pistols when I get there? Here in Michigan you need a little green reg. card. I have no idea what the laws are in FL. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bring 'em on in!

We don't require registration of any kind in Florida for standard firearms (AOW and Class III obviously being separate).

Until you get your Concealed Weapons Permit you can still have the gun in your car, but it has to be in an enclosed area "not readily accessible" - in a zippered gun rug or even in a closed glove compartment fits that description. Just don't carry it on you and don't leave it open on the seat.

You'll enjoy it down here - it's exactly like Michigan except without the cold weather and hills, and with more beaches and alligators.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manevitch said:
Bring 'em on in!

We don't require registration of any kind in Florida for standard firearms (AOW and Class III obviously being separate).

Until you get your Concealed Weapons Permit you can still have the gun in your car, but it has to be in an enclosed area "not readily accessible" - in a zippered gun rug or even in a closed glove compartment fits that description. Just don't carry it on you and don't leave it open on the seat.

You'll enjoy it down here - it's exactly like Michigan except without the cold weather and hills, and with more beaches and alligators.
thanks I could not get any straight answers from anyone. And I won't miss any of this snow or cold ass weather. 7 days left here.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
yup you are good to go!!!!
Bring em on down :)

This is true:
""not readily accessible" - in a zippered gun rug or even in a closed glove compartment fits that description."

The cop I shoot with at the range said the best method for this is the "three step rule". Meaning it should take you three steps to be able to fire the gun. So nonchambered is a step, in a holster is a step, and in a glove box is a step. Thats 3 ;) Or something similar :)

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
NaturalSelector said:

The cop I shoot with at the range said the best method for this is the "three step rule". Meaning it should take you three steps to be able to fire the gun. So nonchambered is a step, in a holster is a step, and in a glove box is a step. Thats 3 ;) Or something similar :)
So now it's three steps....it used to be two. This one has been kicking around for years & it usually starts out, "a cop told me...". The only thing wrong is it's non existent. It's not in the statutes; never has been. It probably originated as a rule of thumb to help establish premeditation in shootings but it's not law. The law doesn't make any distinction between a loaded or unloaded gun. So if you violate any of the concealed carry or transport statutes with an unloaded gun you're still in trouble. There are a lot of "ifs, ands, or buts" in the statutes. Generally speaking' Chapter 790.001, paragraph (17) states handguns can be transported in a vehicle if they are "securely encased" such as in the glove compartment whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; or in a gun case whether or not locked; in a zippered case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Cyanchula,
Send me a PM or E-mail with your address & I'll send you a copy of the statutes.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You are correct, I should have been more specific , and I apologize. This is not "regulation" or required legally. Also a good place for general florida regulation is packing.org...
Plenty of info there reguarding this exact issue.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have lived in Fla almost all my life, the old 3 step was excepted street policy until cw came about, or at least that's when I learned it was bogus just like the knife longer than your hand routine.
I carry in my glove box, always have and have encountered LEO twice. Both times no problem but both took it away until the traffic stop was over, one asked why I had no permit and excepted my explanation , both wrote me tickets, one for the lesser offense of driving without a DL in my possession.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts