I notice that members on this board seem to have allot
of firearms or equipment per person. That takes a good
amount of cash. I am married with two children and the
family income is good but not nearly enough to have the
amount of goodies compared to others. My question is
just out of curiosity. How much do you spend on average
per year on all firearm related products including guns
hunting trips, classes , safety equipment. I am not trying
to pry into personal finance just wondering.
My feeling on life is that I am happier with what I have
than envious of what I do not have. If Members choose
not to answer my question for personal reasons of
finances I understand completely. Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
First off, I don't have children. I have the wrong temperament to have them and know it, being the child of someone who shouldn't have had children themselves. Money saved there. Presto.

Second, I drive a car from 1987. I like it, it gets me from point to point and is reliable and decent, but I save on the monthly car payment. I also do the lion's share of work on it, saving more money.

Third, I have a good relationship with my FFL and shop well and frugally both there and for month to month expenses.

Fourth, my domestic partner owns a half dozen guns herself, and can't exactly tell me I can't have one. The household rule is as long as the power's on, rent is paid, and we have food I can do what I want.

Fifth, guns are probably my cheapest hobby. I also play guitar, bass, and do home recording. By comparison, guns are relatively inexpensive even if I do spend a grand a year on ammo.

Sixth, I do my own smithing in 99% of the cases, saving more money.

Seventh, and then I rest, I live in Idaho. My rent is under $400 a month, fixed expenses under $600.

I'd be homeless on what I make here if I lived in Chicago or LA.

And I own an embarassing amount of firearms now, making up for 26 years of living in Chicago and not being able to legally own a damn thing.

So, just by 1 and 7 alone, I have at least a couple hundred a month in disposable income when business isn't good. When it is, well, let's just say one bad week in August I bought a Springfield 1911, a FAL, a bunch of ammo, a Beretta Neos and S&W Sigma for my partner, holsters, renewed my carry permit, and about three dozen hi-cap mags.

That's when you know you've hit the point of ludicrous. You have to think about what you've bought and come up short and have to hit the edit button.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am not trying to be rude, but what others spend is not relevant. The question is what can you afford? Having raised two children with all the associated expenses including cars, car insurance, college, and now an upcoming wedding sure has limited my “toy” fund. Buy what you can afford and enjoy shooting. My personal experience has taught me that I am better to have a few “good” guns that you really enjoy than a safe full of guns I do not shoot. Reloading equipment is also a good investment if you do a fair amount of shooting.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree with Xhair. I raised two children and had no money for guns during that time. Once they were through college, I started buying and shooting for fun and sport. Having said that, I only have three "good" handguns and two rifles. I feel for me this is enough and I can enjoy them whenever I wish.

To answer the money question, I spend about $2,000 a year on ammo and range fees.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it is not relevant, and I do have to conceder the
area that you live in. I guess the question should be. How
much do you choose to afford on firearms?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Whatever I want. I'm an adult.

My range fees are ... $35 a year.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll ever afford next year.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
As Xhair says - it's what you can afford.

I've enjoyed firearms all of my life. I have a number but that reflects most of a 1/2 century of indulging in my hobby.

When I was first married and money was TIGHT, I remember maybe one low budget gun maybe every couple of years - and having to plan ahead for a brick of .22. When the kids were young and my job was better paying I indulged a bit more, but there was a fair amount of trading one for another as guns came and went.

Now I live in an area with a low cost of living, the kids are grown and gone (along with their mother), my small house is paid for, I have a 9 year old pickup and a 14 year old car - paid for. Almost all of my business is cash and carry (no debt).

I indulge my hobby a lot more now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Speaking for myself, I don't drink, smoke, gamble, or use drugs and that saves me alot of money that I can devote to my interest in firearms and shooting. Also, I'm a R.N. and it is a field that is currently very under-staffed, so I can work as much overtime as I want. So whenever I find a gun that I have to have, I just work more overtime to pay for it. I also drive a 10 year old car that is transportation rather than a status symbol. As to actual dollars spent; I'd estimate that I spent approx. 10-12K on firearms, ammo, and shooting supplies/accessories over the past 12 months.

Nero

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree with Xhair. I raised two children and had no money for guns during that time. Once they were through college, I started buying and shooting for fun and sport. Having said that, I only have three "good" handguns and two rifles. I feel for me this is enough and I can enjoy them whenever I wish.

To answer the money question, I spend about $2,000 a year on ammo and range fees.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Man, I definitely can't give a number as I would probably have a heart attack if I actually tracked it. In the last few years since I moved to a free state, I know I have to have spend nearly $5000 on guns alone. That isn't counting hundreds on reloading supplies, a second and a third safe, and the list goes on. Can I afford it? Probably not... It certainly isn't conducive to having some savings like I should, but i'm not really in hock yet either. Buy what you can reasonably afford. Set your priorities. If $2000 in the bank is better then $1000 and a couple guns in the house is a priority you have to set. Not everyone needs to have a ton of guns either. Once in a while I get pangs of guilt for having 2 of one gun, or 6 of another... I don't "NEED" them, but I am not selling them either. Also, look into used guns. Use restraint, only buy when the price is extremely good. You can save some real gun money buying smart. Good luck!

later,
AJ

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
to be honest? I spend a lot more than I should, and a lot less than I want too. I smoke, but I don't buy drugs, I don't drink, and I don't gamble. Quiting racing has helped too as that could cost me upwards of 600 to 1000 a week during the racing season. I live life on the edge, if I made 10 times as much money I would still budget to spend it all. Money bad, guns good. Besides, the bible doesn't say that the love of guns is the root of all evil does it ?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
While paying for the kids shoes, braces, field trips, and college tuition it was hard to spend anything at all on my favorite hobby. I didn't belong to a shooting club, but found places out in the desert to shoot a box or two of .22's a couple of times a year.

Once they grew up and left the nest it was amazing how much disposable income was available. Now I can afford to belong to a club, buy all the ammo I want, and even buy a new gun whenever I want.

(Also, as an added benefit, I have discovered that you can have more than one bowl of ice cream out of a half-gallon. Who would have thought?)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not sure how much I spend on shooting every year, some years are "better" than others. I don't tend to collect guns though. I have a few that are sentimental that I'd never part with, but most of them are simply tools to accomplish a job. Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful gun as much as the next guy, but before I buy I ask myself what role that gun will fulfill. I feel it's best to have a small collection of firearms and be able to use them all in an effective manner. Just don't have the $$$ or the desire to blow it on safe queens.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Greetings,
Yearly expenditures for guns/supplies are generally diminishing for me. I have several guns for just about each shooting discipline there is, and most of the requisite accessories and supplies. Having been at this hobby for about 10 years I now know what I really want, so I no longer buy and sell guns, I just buy the best and know that I'll keep them. I've probably spent 30k-40k each of the last several years on this hobby, but I can only envision another 10 or so guns left that I want, so I will pretty much be content in 2 more years once they have been purchased. After that, all that's really left is expenditures for reloading supplies, shooting school tuitions, and the odd new gadget that you just gotta have.

ktmhk53

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sam 1963,

Thats a good question! I would say that just on guns I'm pushing $1500 this year. Typically though I would say that my average is $800 per year. That might even be pushing it a bit. I'm finding that as far as guns go I'll average a one gun a year but I might trade one in for it or just sell one outright. Since I've finally settled on one particular pattern for rifles/handguns that has made life a whole lot easier and allowed me to pass up other purchases that I would probably sell quickly anyway. Heavy barreled bolt action .308's/1911 .45's are my main interests.

On misc. gun related items I would say that $300 year probably cover it. Of course there are years that I don't buy any guns and just hit the range more. :)

I'm married and have a kid but we live off a single income which certainly isn't large, rather meager I would say.

Basically this is my one main hobby and I don't finance it by taking money out of the saving account...can't afford that. I get $50 a week (my allowance :D ) and what ever I have extra out of that after paying gas goes into my gun fund. The fund is strategically stashed either in the safe or in the rafters in the basement. It usually takes me about a year or so to save up for a gun and that works out just fine since it takes me about that long to decide whether I really want it and do research on it. It works out good for me and probably cheaper than some of the other hobbies that I could have picked. :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't vacation much or travel. Don't spend much money on anything else. Bottom line is, I have too many guns, but I enjoy shooting some of them, and can't bring myself to sell or trade the others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts