1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried performance plus? According to the maker, it is loaded at standard pressures, yet has higher velocitys. I believe it comes in 115 and 90 grain.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Is this in 45ACP? Is the ammo for self defense or plinking or what?

If this is touted as self defense ammo, stay away. These types of rounds rarely penetrate far enough to do any good. A nasty surface wound will not necessarily stop an attacker unless they want to stop. You have to be able to penetrate to the major organs and/or spine.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This ammo is for personal protection. In 45 acp, the 90gr shows 2036fps/828. The 115gr shows 1650/700. the cavity dia is 11" for both, penetration 11" in 90gr, 12" in 115gr. They also have a specialty ammo that can penetrate car doors, windows, and level 2 vests. The ammo in question is for public use. Go to yahoo, type in "performance plus ammunition" it'll tell you about the product and show pictures.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
I take it the penetration is in ballistic gelatin. If you have 10" penetration in ballistic gelatin you will average about 4" in flesh. Not too good is it? That ammo will leave a very nasty surface wound. You can not guarantee putting someone down with these wimpy handgun calibers unless you get penetration to the spine from any angle. You want to stop someone from attacking you? Practice your shooting with deep penetrating ammo. Nasty surface wounds will still leave someone able to kill you. Don't count on your ammo. Count on bullet placement.
I use 230 gr +P Gold Dot JHP bullets from Pro Load. I think these are the best but I would be happy with ball. There are cases of guys taking 6 torso hits with 125 gr. JHP .357 mag and still killing the policewoman that fired the shots. None of them penetrated deeply enough to stop the guy. Sure he died later but that was too late for her.
Wonder bullets aren't the answer. Lots of practice and training with heavy for caliber bullets are the way to go. If yoiu want to put someone down you better be able to place your shots and have them penetrate deeply. And have a backup plan. If 2 shots to the COM don't do it, shoot something else.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess you're right, I knew faster was'nt better. At this time, my kimber compact has 230 gr hydra shok in it's belly. I was just wondering. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Hydra shok is a good bullet. Good luck, Bill

------------------

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
BillD where have you been all my life?

Man from your post we sure think a like.
It's always great to meet another genius!

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read that the ranger sxt is marked as law enforcement ammo on the box, and that it is a replacement for the original black talon. So, are civilians allowed to have them? I also read that the supreme sxt has never been tested in gel, is this true? So, what is the best bet in 45 acp for the average guy that wants the best for personal protection? By the way, my carry gun is a kimber compact aluminum.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I don't think that you can go wrong with Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok. For the guns with less than 4" barrels I might switch to Remington 185gr. JHP's.
I also like some of the 200+P and 185+P ammo but I am not sure I would want to try an tackle that with an aluminum framed gun.

------------------

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed a kimber tech and asked about the aluminum framed guns and plus p loads, he told me they use them all the time, not to worry. He also said that 230 gr hydra shoc was a good choice. I read that the aluminum framed guns were tested to 20,000 rounds with no measured wear. My kimber seems to be a good little gun, but, if there is a better defense load than hydra shok, i'd like to have it. Only the best to save the lives of myself or my family!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Was really speaking of the additional felt recoil in the small framed aluminum pistol with +P ammo. If you are not recoil sensitive or are an experienced shooter then you may not have a problem. I am not particularly recoil sesitive but I have found that because I do not practice that much with the compact pistols I have a harder time achieving quick accurate follow up shots using hot loads.

------------------

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was carrying 165 gr. hydra shoks, but I've recently changed to 230 gr. Rem. Golden Sabers. I think I have made a wise decision.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Kimber tests wear to 20K, but what they don't tell you is about frame cracks. My Ultra Elite cracked at 9600 rounds. They replaced it as it was still in the warranty period. Sure enough, at that time, the gun was nearly as tight as new, so no real wear, but it did crack on both sides of the frame in front of hte slide catch hole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts