1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, as I was cleaning my gun, I kept noticing what looked like fouling, or copper residue in two places of the rifling of the barrel, in my TRS. I let Shooters Choice solvent soak several times in the barrel for almost two hours, trying to get to soften up. I scrubed with a bronze brush, but it didn't budge. Finally I examined the barrel very close, and it appeared that it was permanent marks in the actually steel, that were fairly deep in the barrel. I then took the gun to a custom gun smith, in my town, and let him look at it to see what he thought. He examined the barrel under some type of magnifying lenses, and he said that they were permanent scrapes down in the rifling of the barrel, in between the lands and grooves. He said that it will not affect accuracy, but for $2000.00 (my TRS is hard chromed), it should not have these marks. He recommended for me to send it back to Les Baer, and try to have him put a new barrel in the gun.
I sent the gun back, and then a week later, I called Les to see what the status was on my gun, and he informed me that the gun shot fine, was accurate, and there was no way to get all of those marks out of the barrel. A week and a half after that I received the gun back, but with the same barrel, so I assume that it was not enough to replace the barrel.
I have owned Kimbers and Wilsons, and none of those barrels had these same type of marks. I would have thought that Les Baer would have replaced the barrel, because these marks and very visible (it looks like powder and copper residue that runs half the length of the barrel), and it is disconcerning, given the fact that I bought the gun, brand new, in July, and it only has 1700 rounds through it of Federal Amercian Eagle, 230 grain, FMJ. So, I have a few questions,
1. What are these marks, and how did they get there?
2. Will it affect accuracy in the long run as I put more and more rounds through the barrel?
3. Has anyone else had this problem?

-these marsk cover the entire portion of rifling, in between the grooves, so these are big, deep, marks that are numerous enough to be VERY visible when you look down the barrel.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't heard that one before, but that's not surprising as to I have not been around 1911's to much until this past year. But what I would do is call the barrel manufacture (Kart) and see what they say as to what it is. Maybe they will work a deal with you them and Les to get it right. I could be way off with this but after going through Les that would be my next move.

What did your smith and or Les say it was? or what could have caused this? did they say anything? I would also agree the 2 grand for a nice pistol should be free from defects. But Les has no control over the barrel's as far as I know. I guess what I am saying that it is a Baer product with a Kart barrel and with no warranty implied by Baer, where does the responsibility fall?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you applied any oil or any product to the inside of the barrell ? The reason i ask is , i had wiped my barrel down with Militech ( metal conditioner ) and was getting an orange color in the rifiling after shooting . I tried cleaning it out and it wouldn't come off , i just kept shooting the gun and it dissappeared .

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am with CCV on this as well. If the accucery is not effected then I myself would not worry with it. Your not going to see the marks when shooting the pistol. I can understand the cost of the pistol and wanting things to be perfect, but if it hits where you want and it runs with out problems it would not bother me.

Stacey

·
Banned
49 Posts
Whelen97 said:
If you have been shooting the pistol, and it works as it should, why should it be up to Baer to replace the barrel?

Perhaps the scratches are from cleaning or a bit of abrasive material embedded in a bullet?

C
I agree. I mean I guess I would be a little miffed if the pistol came that way after spending the money on "the perfect weapon," but how do you know it was a manufacturers defect? If it is shooting dead on, what is there to complain about?

Peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.