1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
could you please share a few pet loads for FMJRN 230 grainers using Vihtavuori powders?Don't want to KO no tanks...just accurate loads for target shooting(no PF required) and IPSC matches(PF 170).
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Manny

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Here are two of them... taken from my notes. I had "excellent accuracy, with low flash, virtually no smoke and easy, positive recoil." N320 is a little better for FMJ but I normally use N310. "Ran the brass through a RCBS sizing die before I loaded these because I used to have a few problems with the Dillon sizing die." This was a few years ago. My Wilson's all run them through perfectly and the first load is great for alloy framed guns.

Hornady 230 FMJ FP
Winchester Brass
Win LP Primer -.002 flush
5.0 Grains Viht N320
OAL 1.260
Crimp .471
785 fps
Wilson 5" CQB

Hornady 230 FMJ RN
Winchester Brass
Win LP Primer -.002 flush
4.5 Grains Viht N310
OAL 1.260
Crimp .471
800 fps
Wilson 5" CQB

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch Colt lover:rock: ...you've already posted the first load in previous thread of mine about un-burnt N320 and I've tried it last week on one of my guns equipped with a bbll KKM,pushing the load to 5,1 in order to reach major PF for practical shooting maches which is 170 in Italy.It's a very accurate load and the recoil is mild,but the cases (Starline) were quite tarnished by escaping gases....very likely loosing speed!Wouls a magnim primer or a higher powder load cure this issue?
TIA
Manny

·
Registered
520 Posts
canuck63 said:
Thanks a bunch Colt lover:rock: ...you've already posted the first load in previous thread of mine about un-burnt N320 and I've tried it last week on one of my guns equipped with a bbll KKM,pushing the load to 5,1 in order to reach major PF for practical shooting maches which is 170 in Italy.It's a very accurate load and the recoil is mild,but the cases (Starline) were quite tarnished by escaping gases....very likely loosing speed!Wouls a magnim primer or a higher powder load cure this issue?
TIA
Manny
canuck63,

I had the same problem with VVN320 with 45 ACP and 230 grains bullets. (I still use N320 for 40 S&W). The problem is that for PF 170 the amount of powder needed is not enough to expand the brass and seal the cartridge against the chamber walls causing blow by. Yes you are losing speed, but the worst is that extreme spread in fps on your load can make you fall under 165 PF, having to develop a hotter loader just to compensate the inconsistent speed loss.

I stopped using N320 for 45 ACP for PF 170 (it might be OK for factory load duplication, but I don't use it) and I am switching for Clays. I have tried Clays and Ramshot Competition with 200 grains bullets- both work fine but Clays is a little snappy, making the front sight return to the position a little fast than Ramshot competition, although pretty close.

I never tried N310, but I would say that it is the only one from your options that could work if you want to use 230 grains bullets. Also N320 could work with 200 grains bullets, but I never tried it (more speed and more pressure).

I got 70-90 fps extreme espread on my N320 loads for 45 ACP 230 grains for PF Major while for the same PF on 40 S&W 200 grains I got only 25 fps (it still can be better). The 45 ACP gun is a Springfield Loaded (Single Stack and Limited 10) and the 40 S&W is a STI 2011 custom built with KKM barrel (Limited).

I do not know what brand are available in Italy, and for what price. Here in the US I can get either Clays or Ramshot Competition for the half of the price of VV.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi FLL;
there's been a typo on my bahalf in my previous post...I meant to write N340 but I've written 320 instead...my bad:dope: !
Yesterday I've tried a few loads with FMJ 230 grainers over 4.4grs of N310 and they worked a charm...no excessive recoil,no trace of blow by and no high pressures to speak of!
In Italy we have to make do with powders made by the likes of Vihtavuori,Nitrokemia(Rex powders...darn good and as cheap as dirt!),Hogdon,BP(Baschieri&Pellagri ball powders made by NATO standards which work wonders with a lot and suck with another...call them "standards":rolleyes: ),Nobel Sport and Winchester,the latter are less and less imported while the other US brands are "unobtanium" here or,more often than not...virtually unknown to the masses!
THanks a lot for chiming in bud!
Have a great Sunday
Manny

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
canuck63 said:
Hi FLL;
Yesterday I've tried a few loads with FMJ 230 grainers over 4.4grs of N310 and they worked a charm...no excessive recoil,no trace of blow by and no high pressures to speak of!
In Italy we have to make do with powders made by the likes of Vihtavuori,Nitrokemia(Rex powders...darn good and as cheap as dirt!),Hogdon,BP(Baschieri&Pellagri ball powders made by NATO standards which work wonders with a lot and suck with another...call them "standards":rolleyes: ),Nobel Sport and Winchester,the latter are less and less imported while the other US brands are "unobtanium" here or,more often than not...virtually unknown to the masses!
THanks a lot for chiming in bud!
Have a great Sunday
Manny
Glad to help. That load 230/N310 sounds about right. You might also try to find Norma R1 if it's available. According to the stats, it burns faster than N310 but I have never used it and I don't recall ever seeing it for sale.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like the VV powders, as I've have had good success w/ 320, 330, & 340.. in 45 acp. Tried the 350, but was not impressed w/ it in this caliber.

I like Zero JHP bullets for their accuracy & alloy frame friendy nose design.

I carry a LWT Commander, & normally load Zero 185JHP over N-320 for range use. Funny thing, My carry load is Fed 185JHP +P Hydra-Shock. In an accuracy comparison last Friday, the following load beat the Federal HANDS DOWN:

Zero 185JHP
VV N-320 6.1
Light crimp
Misc. brass - Not trimmed
Fed LP
1.21" COL

As a result of this little eye opener, I'm looking around for an accurate 200JHP bullet w/ a rounded nose design, for general use in my LWT Commander.

I'm thinking Hrdy 200JHP XTP, or Speer 200 Gold Dot. Any suggestions?

For the record, I tried N-330 combinations w/ the 185JHP in the Commander, & was not impressed at all...

The following were loaded on a Dillon 550, using a Lee FCD. In my Colt Series 80 Gov't Model, w/ Kart NM BBL, all are basically one ragged hole loads.

I'd rate these as full power - but not +P. Certainly defense capable. MPF? Couldn't say for sure as no chrono available, but suspect yes.

WW 230FMJ
VV N-330 5.4 grains
Light crimp
Fed LP
1.26" COL

WW 230FMJ
VV N-320 5.1 grains
Light crimp
Fed LP
1.26" COL

Zero 230JHP
VV N-330 5.2 grains
Light crimp
Fed LP
1.22" COL

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
5.0 & 5.4 V-330 w/ 230 Zero FMJ. Tracy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great thread guys. I have a can of N310 and have had difficulty finding data for it. I read an article in one of the gun mags where the author mentioned that it was his absolute favorite powder for accurate loads in the .45acp. Anyone happen to have a load for 200gr lead SWC or RNFP or for 230gr lead ball? I've been using a lot of Titegroup lately, Bullseye and W231 in the past, all of which I like but I want to try this new one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wizzel said:
Great thread guys. I have a can of N310 and have had difficulty finding data for it. I read an article in one of the gun mags where the author mentioned that it was his absolute favorite powder for accurate loads in the .45acp. Anyone happen to have a load for 200gr lead SWC or RNFP or for 230gr lead ball? I've been using a lot of Titegroup lately, Bullseye and W231 in the past, all of which I like but I want to try this new one.
Hi Wizzel,
N310 is GREAT for accurate 45ACP loads,and you can't go wrong by using the "Wilson load",i.e. a T68 200grs LSWC over 4,5 grains of N310.You can load it with charges as low as 3.9grs of N310 and have loads that may not reach Major PF but that are extremely accurate nonetheless!
HTH
Manny

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
One of our Bullseye guys won state with a load I recamended to him. 185 LSWC and 3.9 Grains Viht N310! He beat out several other guys using Nosler in a very close match.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ColtLover said:
One of our Bullseye guys won state with a load I recamended to him. 185 LSWC and 3.9 Grains Viht N310! He beat out several other guys using Nosler in a very close match.
Gonna try this one myself!;)
Thanks ColtLover
Manny
P.S.;could you please let us now the other specs:D ?

·
Registered
923 Posts
+1 on Canuck's Viht N310 load,,, with 200g oregon trail LSWC's I've loaded from 3.9g to 4.5g anything under 3.9g of powder and the bullets start to keyhole the target...

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I am having great success with a 185 LSWC and 4.2 grains of N310. Very good accuracy with low smoke, no flash and very controllable in several different guns. Functions perfectly in my CQB w/ 18.5 lb spring.I tried 185's because that is what my supplier had on hand. Have not chronographed it yet, but it's probably just a hair shy of 165 pf. Here are the specs.

185 LSWC
Fed GM Match LP primer
4.2 Grains Viht N310
1.250" OAL
Primer -.002 flush
.469" Taper crimp

(Casings all polished mirror brite and run through a RCBS sizing die before hitting the Dillon.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts