1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of venturing down to Pete Single's shop and meeting his family. I got to see first hand the intricacies in metal work. The amount of detail he pays to his machining is unsurpassed. The man is definitely a perfectionist. Most people know about Pete due to his checkering. Yet, once we got on the subject of fitting barrels, blended beavertails, reliability, magwells, trigger jobs, etc etc. it was obvious he knew much more about 'smithing then just 20, 25, 30, 40 lpi.

Pete doesn't accept work from people. In fact, he turns away work from a lot of top-notch smiths. He's already overloaded with frames, slides, and misc. parts for various machine work. Within his shop are two industrial size mills and lathes along with several sand blasters, welding station and fridge full of good beer

I've heard the press he's received from the top smiths about his outstanding ability. I finally got to see it first hand and was not disappointed.

Of course, he is best known for his checkering and here's a fine example. This was NOT touched with a file at all, just blasted. It's 20 LPI.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Boing
WOW this pic and the spare parts gun pic is sweeeeet.

Nice work metalsmith.

Ross T.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Son ,you hit on the head this guy is more than just checkering his knowledge wouldnt fit in a encyclopedia that is why people in the know, know Pete is the best there is period on all detail metal work .OCG1911

·
Premium Member
11,641 Posts
Outstanding! Hopefully Pete will see this & tell us how he manages to weld on a mag well without burning the bottom rows of checkering. I've always had to file away the bottom 3 rows after welding because the heat took all of the strength out of the metal on the points of the diamonds. Heat stop never helped me there.
Must be magic!

·
Banned
25 Posts
What is this kind of pistol used for?
Bullseye? IPSC? Display under glass? IHMSA?
I have known top echelon shooters who have filed off the top of checkering blunter than this. When did this penchant for broken glass on the front strap of a grip frame begin? And, what is its purpose?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That shot is a macro. Macros show every minute detail. While it may look sharp, if you hold it, the feel is closer to 30 lpi. I had a hard time telling the difference between his 20 lpi, 25 lpi and 30 lpi. This is coming from an individual with baby skin.

The beauty behind macro photography is you can pick out every small detail, good and bad. You won't find any flaws in Pete's checkering.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to add, Springfield TRP's are checkered 20 LPI. There aren't a lot of people complaining about the "broken glass".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I,ve had the priviledge to have had Pete build me a gun, and it is AWESOME. The 20lpi feels great and hey, it looks cool too. He also put 20lpi on the beavertail as well. I,ve been to his shop and the mans work is SWEET!

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
I've had the pleasure of working with Pete for a number of years now.
We do not always agree on technique and style,
but Pete's attention to the finest of detail is above and beyond any other 'smith I have dealt with in 15 years of doing this full-time.
Our differences are just minor variations on the same concepts.......our common goal is to provide cosmetically 'perfect' work.
I could 'wax eloquent' on the perfection of Pete's work, but a photo is worth a thousand words.
Petey is not a 'spook' as some might infer from his desire for anonymity. He has a lucrative 'day job' and the requests for his services far exceed his ability to produce.
Please don't misinterpret his reluctance to take on new customers and new work as a reflection on his character.
He is one heck of a 'nice guy' supporting a large family, working a full-time day job, and 'smithing as an expression of his heart.
Pete will NOT compromise quality of his work by adding on an employee, nor will he provide his talents to a 'hack'.
To those few that enjoy the benefits of his labors........lucky you!!!
That he will checker single-stack frames for me, means 'lucky me' and great luck as well for my more discerning customers.

------------------
Chuck Rogers
Rogers Precision

GOOD-CHEAP-FAST
Pick any two.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Cosmetically perfect work? A CARRY gun is always carried concealed until it is presented and makes fire. Nobody will ever see the fine, even rows of checkering, l;unless it is the forensics lab.
Pretty is as pretty does. A set of grooves on the front strap (like on the old Gold Cup) will stablilize your grip, but will allow you to shift slightly during a draw if you detect thay your hand is not in quite the optimum place. Try that with checkering. As I said, some of the top knowledgeable shooters BLUNT the checkering.
On the other hand, this would be a fine base for a Pachmayr grip, which most non-gamesmanship shooters prefer after one encounter with checkering.
For five hundred bucks, you can buy a Kellar fixture that will do these rows of marvelous checkering evenly indexed and uniform, using carbide cutters, on most any vertical milling machine.
I have seen incidents on the range where checkering was a detriment rather than an advantage, as in the above cited theoretical incident.
And, gentlemen, I know at least 50 top American pistolsmiths who can do identically perfect checkering...if anyone really wanted it.
Finally, I have a WW-I Commemorative with aperfectly smooth front strap that will shoot as well, or better than, a checkered front strap pistol. It depends on how well you have learned to shoot and how wellyou know your equipment. There are show off guns and there are working guns. But, it isn't the pretty that wins matches.
After you pay a pistolsmith three hundred bucks to remove all of the sharp places on a grip frame, what kind of logic requires paying for the addition of a shirt-ripper like that shown. Once you try a grooved grip frame, the checkering rows won't look quite so exotic. Save your money and buy ammunition; then learn to shoot your pistol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by Jack London:
Cosmetically perfect work? A CARRY gun is always carried concealed until it is presented and makes fire. Nobody will ever see the fine, even rows of checkering, l;unless it is the forensics lab.
Pretty is as pretty does. A set of grooves on the front strap (like on the old Gold Cup) will stablilize your grip, but will allow you to shift slightly during a draw if you detect thay your hand is not in quite the optimum place. Try that with checkering. As I said, some of the top knowledgeable shooters BLUNT the checkering.
On the other hand, this would be a fine base for a Pachmayr grip, which most non-gamesmanship shooters prefer after one encounter with checkering.
For five hundred bucks, you can buy a Kellar fixture that will do these rows of marvelous checkering evenly indexed and uniform, using carbide cutters, on most any vertical milling machine.
I have seen incidents on the range where checkering was a detriment rather than an advantage, as in the above cited theoretical incident.
And, gentlemen, I know at least 50 top American pistolsmiths who can do identically perfect checkering...if anyone really wanted it.
Finally, I have a WW-I Commemorative with aperfectly smooth front strap that will shoot as well, or better than, a checkered front strap pistol. It depends on how well you have learned to shoot and how wellyou know your equipment. There are show off guns and there are working guns. But, it isn't the pretty that wins matches.
After you pay a pistolsmith three hundred bucks to remove all of the sharp places on a grip frame, what kind of logic requires paying for the addition of a shirt-ripper like that shown. Once you try a grooved grip frame, the checkering rows won't look quite so exotic. Save your money and buy ammunition; then learn to shoot your pistol.

What's wrong with this guy? Sounds like SC.

·
Banned
25 Posts
There's nothing wrong with me! Your outlook, however, requires some serious thought.
As Col. Chesty Puller said when he was pesented with a "pretty" 1911......
"It's pretty, all right, but where the hell is the bayonet lug?"

Lighten up John please

Mike

[This message has been edited by mike benedict (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
"""Keep in mind NOTHING IS PERFECT and you can find fault with anything if you look hard and long enough. It all depends on your personal standards, what looks good in my eyes may not look good in your eyes and vise-versa. Checkering is there to provide traction on the F/S. Some may find this hard to believe but I don’t own a checkered pistol, my first custom gun was a “Clark Long Slide” (which I extensively modified through the years) and is “Tiger Tooth Stippled”. It’s my workhorse. It has great traction and it works so why mess with it. I sharpened the teeth and had silver Teflon put on the frame for ease of cleaning."""

...I remembered this and thought some of you might also...I'm positive the author does...and I agree with him totally...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jack, who mentioned any thing about a gun fight? Checkering is functional. I have big ruff hands and prefer it. If you dont like it, why not keep it to yourself? There is no reason to steal someones thunder or start a pissing match. Best regards.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by Jack London:
There's nothing wrong with me! Your outlook, however, requires some serious thought.
As Col. Chesty Puller said when he was pesented with a "pretty" 1911......
"It's pretty, all right, but where the hell is the bayonet lug?"
Get it, or are you still in a fog?
Pretty has never won a gunfight.
Gentlemen please knock it off

Mike

[This message has been edited by mike benedict (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jack,
Your opinion has as much value as anyone elses, but it is only your opinion and nobody here deserves to be beat over the head with it.

If you want to disagree politely thats fine, but keep it polite!!

Everyone, please!!

Tony

[This message has been edited by T. Kanaley (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
Mr London, did you just post here to stir the pot and piss people off? I understand what you are saying, although I do not agree, lighten up a bit.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

[This message has been edited by T. Kanaley (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey, cut all these guys a break. Jack London expressed his opinion and some observations, and he is welcome to it, and I thank him for it.

This is a forum of discussion. If you can't handle a different viewpoint, don't read it.

Jack Doesn't like the idea of checkering, I do. I'm not about to call for a jihad over the issue. Some people consider a 1911 as a functional work of art, and an extension of oneself. Some people consider it merely a tool to deliver a bullet. Both sides have some merit.

One of our founding fathers once said "I disagree with the opinion, but I will defend his right to voice it to the death" - Jefferson I think?

-Those who forget the lessons of history are condemmed to always credit a quote to the wrong speaker.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

[This message has been edited by Electric_Armadillo (edited 05-23-2001).]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts