1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, somewhere on the 'Net, I saw a picture of a broken Springfield Armory 1911 slide, in which the front portion of said slide, with front grasping grooves, was completely separated from the rest of the slide, and the exposed steel at the fissure looked very porous, much less dense than should be in a forged steel slide.

Unfortunately I didn't copy the picture, and when I went back to find it, I couldn't locate it.
I don't even remember which forum I saw it on.

Can anybody help me out?
Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I found the picture of the KB Springfield M1A. Goto Google and type in KB Springfield in the images search box.

I'd like to see graphic pictures of a KB Springfield 1911. Do you remember what model it was?

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
If I recall correctly that was an issue with incorrect heat treatment of a batch of Springfield Armory slides and I think it was corrected by recall. It wasnt the result of a KB.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mus said:
If I recall correctly that was an issue with incorrect heat treatment of a batch of Springfield Armory slides and I think it was corrected by recall. It wasnt the result of a KB.
How did the slide fail?

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
I don't have the picture, but I remember it. A luckless owner's slide on their stainless loaded broke in two right at the recoil plug housing. Springfield admitted to a defective batch of slides, fixed the problem, and it's been water under the bridge since.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I remember seeing it also,Which ever Springfield it was,it had front slide seragations,S.S. slide also,I think I remember seeing it on Glocktalk or unlockglocks.com,somebody asked about comparing Sprinfields to Kimbers if my memory serves me correctly.look like a brazilian slide.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks KillItnGrillIt.
That was where it was (the 1911 forum on Glock Talk).
Here's the pic.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mus,
Look at the STRUCTURE of the metal where it is broken off. Not the broken off piece, the part of the slide that is still attached to the frame. Look at the STRUCTURE between the thickness of the slide......it is a coarse grain crystalline structure.

This structural failure is near the time the M1A KB'd and we all know the M1A's that Springfield produces are Cast. The SN of the M1A was 30550, I'll check to see when that particular M1A was produced.

M1A KB Analysis
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762r.html

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
This is

a classic example of a fracture caused from brittleness. There is no porosity evident. It looks like the heatreat explanation is a valid one.
Rrotz: You have been all over this forum accusing Springfield of using cast parts and calling them forged. Contact a metalurgist and show them this photo. I can reccommend one if you want.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Re: This is

denstoe said:
a classic example of a fracture caused from brittleness. There is no porosity evident. It looks like the heatreat explanation is a valid one.
Rrotz: You have been all over this forum accusing Springfield of using cast parts and calling them forged. Contact a metalurgist and show them this photo. I can reccommend one if you want.
Good advice and exactly what I was saying. There is no sign of porosity. The broken edge is jagged, the "signs" of the metal being porous are nothing but shadows behind those jagged edges. My uncle works with metal and I have seen him heat up and cool steel in such a way that he could make it shatter like glass. Cast steel does not break in an almost straight line like that from voids anyways, and as you pointed out SA uses forged slides and frames in the first place.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had no intention to bash SA 1911s, I have two of 'em myself, but that pic is scary.

No info on how this happened was included with the pic, but whether the gun was dropped on not, whether the slide was poorly heat treated/stress relieved or not, it certainly SHOULDN'T happen. It would be interesting to learn the details.

Anyway, my SAs work OK. Has anybody heard first hand of this happening to any SA 1911s? The pic certainly looks genuine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts