1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a sub $1000 Colt as a "Shooter", something I could take out and flog at the range and not be as concerned about ruining collector value. Possibly even as a base for a mildly custom build.

With that in mind, I picked up this at the LGS.

I did a little research last night, seems this had a run of roughly 1500 in Series 70 and another 1500 in Series 80. This is a 1985 Series 80.

Underneath the ugly Pachy's... Front strap serrations, a la GCNM

Beveled Magwell

Could only find two issues with the gun. A little missing paint on the rear sight...

...and a couple of light scratches and bright spots on the right front of the slide.

Oh, and no box.

Other than that, the finish is exceptional. Polished flats, matte rounds. You can see the undercut front sight from the GCNM. Long steel trigger with some wear marks (pic two above). Trigger feel is superb, smooth as silk and the proverbial glass rod break. I believe (based on barrel profile) it has the Collet Bushing, but I haven't field stripped yet to confirm. Lowered and flared Ejection Port. All of this is consistent with what I have read in old posts on this forum about this model.

Is this too nice for a shooter? Or should I blast away without worry?

·
Registered
684 Posts
What's the use of worrying about collector value.
The value is in the recreational fun of shooting.
Just care for it normally.
Have fun, safely!

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts
Some would actually still keep that as a safe queen. I say enjoy it for what it was designed for. Congrats on a fine specimen of what was one of Colt's better ideas at the time (except for covering up the serations with Pachmayrs... I never could figure that one out).

·
Registered
497 Posts
nice piece. you've got some scratches blast away. thats a fair price.
where did you find production numbers ?
heres my series 70 version. mine doesnt have the white outline rear sites
why colt would cover up those lovely gold cup styles serrations with wraparound grips i dont know

·
Registered
23,224 Posts
Nice pistol. I am also a member of shoot and enjoy it and not modify it. As to why Colt grooved the front of the frame and then put on wrap around grips; good question. I have several Gold cups they did that on which is why I pulled off the wrap arounds and put other grips on them.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
Get some nice wood grips on there, and shoot it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I concur with Rick. Put on some wood grips and shoot away.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless you have some seriously insane collector "this is the first 1911 ever" pistol, I would shoot it.

Shooting a pistol doesn't really drop the value that much vs the years you will have the pistol. In fact, collecting most pistols as an investment is a relatively poor idea from a lucrative standpoint.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have the exact same gun...love it...I was lucky enough to find mine with all the packaging...warranty card...paperwork etc....enjoy!

·
Registered
262 Posts
love them pachmayers. i'll probably get chewed for this but i have been known to cut the web out of them and put them back on. nice piece by the way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shoot it a lot!!! Heck you could even customize it and get a real fine carry piece. Personally i would not worry about the collector value on that pistol cause she is a keeper..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts